Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Hello all,

In the past I used to use Aperture's advanced features. (Over iPhoto) to make better printed Apple photobooks. But with Aperture being discontinued, what is. The best way to have a printed photobook done?

Should I?

1. Keep using Aperture for this till the new Photos app comes out. (If this is even possible)

2. Just use iPhoto for the printed photobook now.

3. Another option I do not know about.

If anyone has any ideas about the best way to go about this, I will be really happy to hear your responses. And thank you in advance.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Nothing wrong with staying with Aperture/iPhoto until Photos arrives. Then you can decide to either go Photos or look for an alternative like Lightroom. LR has a module for creating photo books.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I have relatives who use Snapfish's website. I'm sure it has fewer options than Aperture, but darned if they books they make don't look just as good as the ones I do.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I haven't used Apple in awhile but I do like them. I've used Adorama Pics which is pretty good. Shutterfly is another one that's nice. If you want to go a step up from the basics you can try Mpix.com

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been using Aperture for years, but when the Christmas season comes around, I use iPhoto to create and order a calendar.

I expect to be using iPhoto this fall for the same reason, and if apple releases their new photo app that does calendars, I'll use that.

I do wonder if they'll be getting out of the printed media business though - I wouldn't be surprised with the introduction of this photo app they'll stop with the book and calendar printing options.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
My wife has done several books via My Publisher http://www.mypublisher.com. She lived the results. You create a project, upload your photos, pick a template,....etc.

LR 5 improved the book module in Lightroom. You can now create your own templates..etc. So if you go with LR, you can use its book module or upload to a book service company.

I hope the new Photos will have the full range of features we have come to expect in Aperture and LR: slideshow, webpages, books, GPS/maps....etc.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I've used iPhoto for printing calendars and books and have have been impressed with the ease, quality and service Apple provides.

I'll continue the same and hope this will not change with Photos.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I , too ,have used iPhoto for the last several years to produce Christmas calendars for friends and family .It's the only thing I've ever used it for . The results, and service , have been , to say the least , impressive . I'll use it again this year , and as long as I can . If the new Photos has a similar module , then I'll switch , if not then I'll start hunting for an alternative

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for all of the comments. I think I'll stay with Aperture for the time being till Photo is released.

I do wonder if they'll be getting out of the printed media business though - I wouldn't be surprised with the introduction of this photo app they'll stop with the book and calendar printing options.

I am wondering this too. Knowing Apple there will be zero warning. Just one day boom, their print options will be gone. This makes me want to start on my photo books asap so I can get then done before any potential cancelation of their print services.

qua

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
MyPublisher

A cool note on MyPublisher is that they are the outfit that prints Aperture and iPhoto books – to different specs. MyPublisher software sucks, really sucks, so little control – BUT all text formatting, etc. copy/pastes from an Aperture book to MyPublisher. I do mine in Aperture, move it to MyPublisher software, then wait for the right sale in MyPublisher and get the same book for almost half the price with lay-flat pages. Same great printing job.
I also like to save the PDF from Aperture, put that into Preview and eliminate empty pages and load them onto my iPad.

fgrammatico

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
Print service in Aperture is canceled.... I have a book ready in aperture, anyone knows how to print it by photo or some other way? Couldn't find any "export" command in aperture for books.

Thanks

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Print service in Aperture is canceled.... I have a book ready in aperture, anyone knows how to print it by photo or some other way? Couldn't find any "export" command in aperture for books.

Thanks
I've not used Aperture but based on this thread you can save your project as a PDF and/or JPEG. You should then be able to use those files at most publishing sites.

The thread also mentioned Presto Photo as supporting Aperture projects but again it looks like they are taking the JPEG or PDF files.

Are you able to do a "Save As..." from Aperture?

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I've not used Aperture but based on this thread you can save your project as a PDF and/or JPEG. You should then be able to use those files at most publishing sites.

The thread also mentioned Presto Photo as supporting Aperture projects but again it looks like they are taking the JPEG or PDF files.

Are you able to do a "Save As..." from Aperture?
[doublepost=1475540785][/doublepost]Well, what is the latest word on this? When I finally migrate on over to Lightroom does Adobe have a quality print and book service? There seem to be many quality print services locally and on-line, but books are another matter.

fgrammatico

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
I've simply did the book again on "photo", unfortunately now have new issue, when I try to buy the book through Photo, during uploading process, Photo crashes........ everytime...... :mad:

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I've used Blurb, which is what Adobe Lightroom uses. You can use their free software (Mac or Win), their online create tool, or upload a PDF. The latter option might work with your Aperture book provided you can export from Aperture as a PDF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.