Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thares

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Hey guys,

I got another questions. I am currently using the 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Altough, most of the times it is cool, some times - especially when facetiming or watching flash movies - it's getting really hot.

Can somebody tell me whether this is still the case for the 13" rMBP (late 2013) and/or the 15" (Iris Pro)?

Thank you in advance!

Daniel

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yes they still run hot. The slim design doesn't really lend itself to good airflow. The aluminum body acts as a heatsink. As long as it isn't crashing of throttling the CPU or GPU to an major extent, the hardware was designed to handle the heat.

My old 12" PBG4, mid 2007 MBP and mid 2009 13" MBP all ran hot. Apple hasn't ever designed cool running devices.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Hey guys,

I got another questions. I am currently using the 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Altough, most of the times it is cool, some times - especially when facetiming or watching flash movies - it's getting really hot.

Can somebody tell me whether this is still the case for the 13" rMBP (late 2013) and/or the 15" (Iris Pro)?

That is completely normal if your using evil Flash. It is simply put a resource hog.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
I have a Late 2013 13" and it doesn't get hot.

I use it with a VM, videos, general usage, etc and it doesn't even spin the fan to an audible level.

The only time I've actually heard the fan was when it woke from sleep at some point inside its protective sleeve and thus got hot because all the vents were blocked and it was sealed up in my bag.

During normal use, even pretty heavy use, it's been cool and quiet.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
My machine is peaking at like 210F when I'm rendering 3D. Is this normal when the processor is going flat-out, or is my unit somehow hotter than it should be?

From my understanding, it shuts down at like 212 or something, so it seems a bit concerning.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
My machine is peaking at like 210F when I'm rendering 3D. Is this normal when the processor is going flat-out, or is my unit somehow hotter than it should be?

From my understanding, it shuts down at like 212 or something, so it seems a bit concerning.

It's perfectly normal. Under heavy loads, I expect my processor to go past the 95ºC mark, although it usually peaks out at around 92ºC.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I have a Late 2013 13" and it doesn't get hot.

I use it with a VM, videos, general usage, etc and it doesn't even spin the fan to an audible level.

The only time I've actually heard the fan was when it woke from sleep at some point inside its protective sleeve and thus got hot because all the vents were blocked and it was sealed up in my bag.

During normal use, even pretty heavy use, it's been cool and quiet.

I purchased my rMBP about two months ago so I'm not sure if it would be considered a late 2013 build or not but I have the same behavior as you. No heat issues at all, no matter what I'm doing with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.