Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:03 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Said to Be Planning Three iWatch Models from 1.6 to 1.8 Inches, Sapphire on High End

According to a new report [Google Translate] from Taiwan's Economic Daily News (via G for Games), Apple is planning to launch three versions of the iWatch in the third quarter of this year. The lineup is said to include a model with a 1.6-inch display and two models with 1.8-inch displays, with the high-end version of the larger size coming with a sapphire display cover for durability.

The display range of 1.6-1.8 inches has been the focus of most rumors dating back many months, but last month Reuters claimed the device's display will be as large as 2.5 inches.

The launch timeframe for the iWatch has also been the subject of much discussion, with the reliable Re/code claiming last month that Apple has been aiming for an October introduction of its "first wearable device", presumed to be the iWatch. That report did, however, note that Apple's plans could change over time.

A fresh report from relatively reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed that the complexity of the iWatch makes it likely that mass production on the device will not begin until November of this year. The two claims are not necessarily in conflict, as with the iWatch being a new product category Apple could make an announcement in October and not launch the device until several months later without impacting sales of its current products. Apple used a similar tactic with the iPhone and iPad, waiting several months between announcement and launch.

Today's report is set in the context of Apple adopting new touch technologies from TPK, with sources also claiming Apple's rumored "iPad Pro" with a display of 12.9 inches will finally be made official later this year. The subject of a number of rumors over the past year, Apple's 12.9-inch iPad was most recently reported to be looking at a 2015 launch or perhaps on hold entirely.

(Image: 2.5-inch iWatch concept by SET Solutions)

Article Link: Apple Said to Be Planning Three iWatch Models from 1.6 to 1.8 Inches, Sapphire on High End
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:05 AM   #2
AstronomyiPhone
macrumors regular

Angry people in 3...2...1...
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:05 AM   #3
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a

I'll spend up to $500 on the iWatch. I mean, I spent $250 on a Pebble Steel and it can barely tell the time without freaking out/disconnecting.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:06 AM   #4
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

Personally, I don't ever think I'll need an iPad bigger than 9.7", but we'll see. Very interested in iWatch though. Love that mockup.
jamesryanbell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:06 AM   #5
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

At this point it's obvious Apple is throwing people off with all of these different sizes... Probably trying to weed out the leakers.

The next iPhone is one thing, but we are really in the dark about the iWearable.

But my question is, when it gets announced why don't we look back on these articles and see who was right and who was way off. That'll help with knowing who's reliable and who isn't.
newyorksole is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Bare
macrumors regular

People joke about Tim Cook's claim to crack down on leaks, but these "analysts" really have no idea what's going on right now, and for that, Tim should be commended.
Bare is offline   47 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:07 AM   #7
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Would make sense seeing that wrists and arms come in wildly different sizes.
JaySoul is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:08 AM   #8
DiabBarca
macrumors member

It better look like a normal wrist watch, because all those geeky smart watches out there just suck. Even the Moto360, it is really fat.
DiabBarca is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Mr Fusion
macrumors 6502a

I can't comprehend these sizes until I see them in tape mockup form...

Some help here?
Mr Fusion is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:11 AM   #10
Nikiaf
macrumors member

I really hope that isn't what it looks like. It needs to resemble an actual watch for me to not feel like an idiot wearing it.
Nikiaf is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:13 AM   #11
Deedlez
macrumors regular

Having two sizes makes sense: chunky one for blokes, smaller one for girls. You see this in every watch retailer. But then having another, "pro" version of the larger watch smacks of playing to "boys with toys" consumerism.

Which of course means that I'll end up buying one.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:13 AM   #12
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
No way. iWatch won't have a touchscreen, it'll have a 3D beamy thing giving a hologram effect like off Star Wars, all which is fully interactive. This means if you need more real-estate or add new features, it's not a problem; one of the main advantages when the iPhone didn't come with a physical keyboard. Otherwise there's no advantage to a small touchscreen; it won't add any functionality to the ecosystem. It won't be as good as an iPhone/iPad for browsing, making calls, or anything else. It'll be redundant.

My money's firmly on Apple popping in some technology 5-10 years ahead of their competitors' pipelines. If they perfect it they could easily have it running in tandem with an iPhone to make calls (much like OS X 10.10 will), without the limitations of the Galaxy Gear (crappy sluggish interface and tiny screen).

Last edited by keysofanxiety; Jul 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM.
keysofanxiety is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:15 AM   #13
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
I'll spend up to $500 on the iWatch. I mean, I spent $250 on a Pebble Steel and it can barely tell the time without freaking out/disconnecting.
I have the original pebble and put that thing through hell. I swim in it and shower with it on. It never disconnects or fails on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
People joke about Tim Cook's claim to crack down on leaks, but these "analysts" really have no idea what's going on right now, and for that, Tim should be commended.
Obviously they know nothing about a product that is not in production. As soon as the production starts we see the device in full well before the release. Just look at the iphone 6. We have basically known exactly what it will look like for at least 2 months.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:15 AM   #14
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Would make sense seeing that wrists and arms come in wildly different sizes.
I can't wait for the Jony video that explains this in detail.

Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:16 AM   #15
Burger Thing
macrumors 6502a

Good. So customers have choices. Like they should have had with the iPhone ages ago.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:16 AM   #16
ScottHammet
macrumors newbie

Teeny iPhone

Hahahah. That mockup is the silliest thing. It looks like a shrunken iPhone pasted on a wrist band. Surely Apple has more imagination than that.
ScottHammet is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:16 AM   #17
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Thing View Post
Good. So customers have choices. Like they should have had with the iPhone ages ago.
There was a choice. Buy the iPhone, or don't.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:17 AM   #18
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502

I personally think the one people who will be purchasing these watches are loyalist
bobenhaus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:18 AM   #19
nfl46
macrumors 601

As much as I love Apple, I have my limit as to what I would spend on a "smartwatch". Hopefully the entry level one is $250 or less.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:18 AM   #20
dlewis23
macrumors 6502a

Looking forward to a larger iPad.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:20 AM   #21
AstronomyiPhone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHammet View Post
Hahahah. That mockup is the silliest thing. It looks like a shrunken iPhone pasted on a wrist band. Surely Apple has more imagination than that.
Yes: I have the real one right here.

Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:21 AM   #22
Duelly Mark
macrumors newbie

yuk!

God, I hope it looks better than that geeky mock up!

Why not just duct tape a shuffle to your wrist?
Duelly Mark is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:22 AM   #23
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobenhaus View Post
I personally think the one people who will be purchasing these watches are loyalist
Lmao you haven't seen it and you don't know it's features...
newyorksole is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:23 AM   #24
Burger Thing
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
There was a choice. Buy the iPhone, or don't.
Hah! You are right!

I wanted a big screen, so I went with an Android phone. Like probably millions of people, too. Lost dollars for ...
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:25 AM   #25
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
Lmao you haven't seen it and you don't know it's features...
Well it doesn't make sense to have a smart watch when you will still need a phone in your pocket for functionality . What a waste of money if you asked me except for the loyalists .
bobenhaus is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion