Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
I have a "dot" on my screen. It seems like something on the glass but it won't come off with isopropyl alcohol wipes.

Is there anything else I can try? Otherwise it might be a shorted pixel or something

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It could be a defect on the screen, a stuck pixel or even the coating wearing off.

Regarding the latter possible issue, I'd be very careful in trying to rub off that "dot" You may rub off the coating.

Without seeing it, its impossible to say for sure. Take a picture (not screen grab) and post it in the thread.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
If it is a stuck or "dead" pixel it might be permanent.

One well known way to un-stuck "dead" pixels is to have the screen display the nothing but the color of the stuck pixel for a few hours and then switch it to some other color at the other end of the spectrum.

Also, if we could get a picture of it we might be able to make a more accurate assessment of what it is.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
It's a really small dot that I can feel with my fingernail. I don't know if I never noticed it, but it's passing light through it and simply won't come off with alcohol.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you can feel it, and light is passing through it, then its not a dot but a screen defect, either by manufacturing, or by it incurring some damage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.