Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desithugsr

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
Works fine with the iPhone 5 but note the following.

Call quality is based on your speakers. The mic is decent but sometimes I have to hold it closer to where I'm speaking.

Connects no problem and plays almost any music or streaming app. You have to control playback on the iPhone though.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Works fine with the iPhone 5 but note the following.

Call quality is based on your speakers. The mic is decent but sometimes I have to hold it closer to where I'm speaking.

Connects no problem and plays almost any music or streaming app. You have to control playback on the iPhone though.

I think I saw in one of the review videos that you can skip a song by double tapping on the button or something. So this doesn't work on the iP5?

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
Just tested my iPhone 5 with the CarAudio and it's working fine. I even paused the music and had Siri read me a text that came thru. It's working just the same as with the 4S.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I've gone through multiple setups for my car, and this is by far the best I've had. Don't have to deal with charging the battery of a bluetooth speaker, USB port so it's adaptable, and the button functions for Siri (though not as consistent as I'd hope). Still worth a buy.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
I've gone through multiple setups for my car, and this is by far the best I've had. Don't have to deal with charging the battery of a bluetooth speaker, USB port so it's adaptable, and the button functions for Siri (though not as consistent as I'd hope). Still worth a buy.

Do you have OEM bluetooth in your car? I do but I can't play music over it which is why I'm considering this. If you do, what happens when a phone call comes in? Does it know to switch to the car's bluetooth so I could use the button on my steering wheel to answer and hang up?

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Do you have OEM bluetooth in your car? I do but I can't play music over it which is why I'm considering this. If you do, what happens when a phone call comes in? Does it know to switch to the car's bluetooth so I could use the button on my steering wheel to answer and hang up?

I do not. I have an aux jack that I plug this Belkin into.

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Anybody know any stores that carry this? I'd love to pick on up tomorrow. Looks great, I've been wanting some kind of Bluetooth setup in my car for a while.

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Also ordered it, should be here by Friday. I didn't know newegg ships from Memphis. Could be here tomorrow.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
I had this on my old car before I bought my new one (with built-in BT.)

For the most part, I liked it a lot. It did everything as advertised. There are a few bugs with it, sometimes two clicks on the button get registered as three. Overall, it was great. One thing I would note is the adhesive on the dongle thing will eventually lose its stickiness.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I have the Belkin CarAudio. Had it for a year or so. Works really good for music (which is what I mainly bought it for). Call quality is alright. My speakers arn't the best so it sounds muffled sometimes and the mic pics up alot of background noise depending on where its placed. Still not a bad product. Wish there was an easier way to switch tracks. You have to double tap at a very specific speed or else you just pause and un-pause the song.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Wow so I ordered from newegg on Wednesday and it was delivered yesterday (Thursday). I'm sure this is because I live in NJ and it shipped from NJ but I was still impressed.

I stuck the disk to my middle console right outside the arm rest. I have an '07 BMW 328xi so I have the cigarette outlet and my AUX input in the armrest. There's maybe half an inch of wire showing when the center arm rest is closed. Looks very sleek

Pairing was no problem at all, just hold the button and wait for it to show up in iPhone's bluetooth menu. I tested it out by blasting some Metallica nice and loud and I am thrilled at the audio quality. Sounds just as good as when the phone was hard wired to the AUX.

I'm using this purely for music. My car has OEM bluetooth for phone calls so I will be answering any phone calls by using the phone button on my steering wheel rather than pressing this unit. I tested out a phone call and this enables the phone to still be connected to the car bluetooth so I can still make and receive phone calls like I usually do which is awesome.

Overall I'm thrilled with this so far and for $55 it's a no brainer to never have to worry about plugging the phone in every time I get into the car. If anybody has any questions about anything specific let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
How did you set it up to play music though the vellum unit, but take calls through the car's Bluetooth?

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
How did you set it up to play music though the vellum unit, but take calls through the car's Bluetooth?

I didn't do anything. I had my wife call my cell when she was outside the car and when it came through the call showed on my iDrive screen like it normally does and I hit the phone button on the steering wheel and it came through the car like it usually does. Music picked back up after the call was ended.

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
I recieved mine. Easy to set up and sounds great. Pairing is really easy. My only problem is when I connect to it, it always plays my iTunes even if I was just playing pandora. Hopefully there's a way to change that. I assume its a phone setting. Not a huge deal but I'd like to just push the button and pandora plays without taking my phone out.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
This is a great Bluetooth receiver for anyone only interested in music streaming and not hands free calling.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057WWK5E/

It has great sound quality, will auto connect to your iPhone when it is in range, and works while charging (uses universally available micro USB). It's not specifically meant for your car, but I've found it works well that way. Obviously, it is perfect for its designed use of connecting headphones wirelessly to your iPhone, as well.

It's also somewhat future-proof in the sense that it can use the high-quality APT-X codec for streaming audio. I believe the iPhone 5 still uses the lower quality SBC codec, but whenever Apple decides to include APT-X this will be able to handle it (I believe OS X Lion and Mountain Lion already support APT-X, as do the GSIII and One X :().

And it's only $32.
Highly recommended.

Update: The Samsung does support hands-free calling and has a mic. Not sure about the quality, though. The cool thing is you can tap the call button, and it will invoke Siri. You can also use the play/pause and seek/advance buttons to control your music player.

Last edited:

scons35

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
Doesn't work with iPhone 5

I've owned this Belkin device for awhile now and have used it with my iPhone 4 and it's been great. I just purchased the iPhone 5 but I simply cannot get it to pair with the iPhone 5. Has anybody experienced this problem?

Ricardomnt

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
Multiple phone pairing

I have been researching this item but read a user review critical because only one phone can be paired. I understand that 2 phones cannot be paired at the same time but is anyone aware of the units operation with only one phone?

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I have been researching this item but read a user review critical because only one phone can be paired. I understand that 2 phones cannot be paired at the same time but is anyone aware of the units operation with only one phone?

It's really easier to pair with another phone, hold the button for about ten seconds and then pair it with the new phone. Whenever I have someone else in the car I just do that and it's not much of a hassle.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
that is one useful product! I usually plug my iP5 into AUX to make calls (uses iP5 mic), listen to music etc. But this would make it more convenient as no cables need to be attached and detached.

thankyouterror

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
What's up guys, anyone around to answer a question about this? I'm thinking of buying this for my girlfriend. She only uses Spotify to play music and my question is whether you're able to control the music directly from the iphone once it's plugged in. Anyone tried this with the Spotify app? She has so many playlists that I don't think she would be able to navigate through them using just the one Belkin button. I would appreciate any responses, thanks so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.