Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Do I need a Developer account to download and use Xcode? I'm not going to use it to sell any apps, just want to learn it. And will it affect my current Apple account?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No. A $99 developer account is only needed to have beta access to iOS, Mac OS X, and other software as well as being able to publish ones work to the iOS and Mac App Store.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
No. A $99 developer account is only needed to have beta access to iOS, Mac OS X, and other software as well as being able to publish ones work to the iOS and Mac App Store.

So just to make this clear for me, I can download the app, code away, and say I were to make a Mac app could I run it without a dev account?

And will it mess with my normal Apple ID making it a paid for account or trick me into automatically paying $99?

Just making sure.

----------

Do you (or anybody) use Xcode without an account?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can do all that, but if you want to run an iOS app on an actual iOS device, you'll need to pay the $99. It will not charge your Apple ID account unless you specifically request it to do so.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
You can do all that, but if you want to run an iOS app on an actual iOS device, you'll need to pay the $99. It will not charge your Apple ID account unless you specifically request it to do so.

Sorry about bothering you, is this request an in app purchase or done through apple's site. Certainly don't want to be doing that by accident or cornered into it. And can I still emulate iOS made apps (as in on screen there is a fake iPhone)?

And just to confirm, I can make an OS X game/app for myself and export it as an app for my HDD, just no the Mac Store (so only I can use it)?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It is done through Apple's site. You can still simulate iOS apps as long as you have the complete source code for the app you want to simulate. As for non-App Store things, you can make nearly anything from a command line binary, to a Dashboard widget, to a 3D first person shooter game in Xcode and compile it to be a native application that you or any other person can run without restrictions.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
It is done through Apple's site. You can still simulate iOS apps as long as you have the complete source code for the app you want to simulate. As for non-App Store things, you can make nearly anything from a command line binary, to a Dashboard widget, to a 3D first person shooter game in Xcode and compile it to be a native application that you or any other person can run without restrictions.

What would you recommend;

-Downloading it now to learn Objective C, or

-Wait until Yosemite is released and get version 6 and learn Swift?

Or would learning Obj. C then going to Swift not be all that hard? I have some programming skills at the moment (VB, HTML 5...).

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm not really able to give a good answer to that. I haven't used Swift yet or giving it much of a look.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I am a developer and do use it with that account. But I haven't tried Swift yet as I haven't gotten around to installing Mac OS X 10.10.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
You're welcome. Enjoy using Xcode.

Sorry to mother you again, could you tell me why this isn't working.

I have added a web view to a window, as well as added the framework (webkit) but when I right click and drag from a button to the web view, it shows this: (first attachment).

In all tutorials, it shows all of the options like setting the button as back, forward, reload...

Do you know why this doesn't work?

Edit: I have figured it out, had to right click on it instead.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 21.03.26.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 21.03.26.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
So just to make this clear for me, I can download the app, code away, and say I were to make a Mac app could I run it without a dev account?

And will it mess with my normal Apple ID making it a paid for account or trick me into automatically paying $99?

Just making sure.

----------

Do you (or anybody) use Xcode without an account?

I have Xcode (or did at one point) and I don't have a developer account. It's free to download and use.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
XCode is a free download from the Mac App Store.

You can use it to your heart's content, even to create Mac applications that you distribute (on your own, not via the Mac App Store) - you may also register for a free developer account to be able to digitally sign your Mac apps.

To distribute Mac apps via the App Store, or iOS apps at all, you'll need a paid developer account, but there's no need to start there unless you need beta access to tools and OS X and iOS versions.

Also, note there is a programming forum on these boards, which would be a good place to ask your development questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.