Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today expanded its iPhone and iPad trade-in program to Australia, giving customers who trade in an older device credit towards the purchase of a new device. Users who trade in an iPhone can earn up to A$250, while users who trade in an iPad can get up to A$215.

According to Apple, its latest models, including the iPhone 5s, 5c, and iPad Air are not eligible for the credit, nor are first-generation devices like the iPhone 3GS or the original iPad. All other devices are eligible, however, and Apple will still recycle original models for free.

australiatradein.jpg
Apple's trade-in program first debuted in the United States prior to the launch of the iPhone 5s/5c, and expanded to the U.K. a few months later. It has also been brought to several other countries, including Germany, France, Canada, and Italy.

In addition to its in-store recycling program, Apple has a similar online mail-in program that requires users to send in their old iPhones before receiving credit. While the mail-in program often offers a greater value for a used iPhone, Apple's in-store program is more convenient for many customers.

Article Link: Apple Expands iPhone and iPad Trade-In Program to Australia

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Wont you just get more by selling it online? Apple devices seem to have a pretty good resale value, at least a better one than what Apple offers for it.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Wont you just get more by selling it online? Apple devices seem to have a pretty good resale value, at least a better one than what Apple offers for it.

Generally you do on eBay, but then they take their fees, then Paypal take theirs (double dip seeing as eBay own Paypal).
The other alternative is Gumtree, but there's a lot of twits on there that think you'll give them your stuff at 1/3 of your asking price, or swap it for crap that neither of you want.

Actually, just read the article again and checked the prices, up to $215 for an iPad, I'll still make more on eBay after the fees are taken.

eonaeon

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Down Under
Do they give you money trade-ins for broken iPhones? My old iPhone 4 boots up and the screen works, it just doesn't respond to touches. I've had a couple of repairers look at it and they said it's not possible without getting a full logic board replacement (which costs almost the same as a second hand iPhone 4).

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
... giving them an incentive to remain in Apple's ecosystem rather than defecting to rivals such as Samsung.
-ninemsn story

I think that these trade in programs are largely about keeping people in the Apple/iOS ecosystem.

I assume that the credit can only be used to buy an iPhone out right from Apple, not a subsidised iPhone from a carrier. In Australia the 5s 16GB is $869 so even if you get the full $250 credit you still pay $619.

What do Apple do with all the 'old' iPhone and iPads?

You may get more from eBay but trading in is easy for the average consumer.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I suppose this is for lazy people who don't want to use eBay... I keep my iPhones in great mint condition and I always sell them for $500+ (I always get highest capacity storage). It pays off funding the next generation even if I'm not eligible for subsidized upgrade pricing yet. :)

Chewster

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
When I sold my iPad 2 on eBay after a years use, I got around 80% of it's original value back. But then again, the unit I sold was in immaculate condition and had zero scratches. I then upgraded to the newly released iPad 3 with the money from the sale and only had to fork out a fraction of the cost to cover the rest.

I didn't sell the iPad 3 though it was also in immaculate condition, instead, I passed it down to my partner and got myself a mini retina. My partner loves the iPad to bits.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Not sure if it's worth selling a 64 Gb iPhone 5 for $250, but the convenience is certainly a draw card.

I can see myself being very tempted for a 4.7" i6.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Can't find the link for the Trade-In program on the Apple website. Anyone know what the link is?

Also, does anyone know how much the iPad2,4 would fetch? I'm curious to know if it's worth more than the iPad2,1.

Cheers!

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
You may get more from eBay but trading in is easy for the average consumer.

This. eBay in Australia is full of scammers, plus setting up an account and selling something is much more work than just going down to an Apple store and trading in your iPhone/iPad.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This. eBay in Australia is full of scammers, plus setting up an account and selling something is much more work than just going down to an Apple store and trading in your iPhone/iPad.

Just as many scammers percentage wise as the rest of the world.
Quit your nasty comments against a country you obviously do not like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.