Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Do you have to keep the songs on your Mac to have them in iCloud? I.e. I delete music to save space, would they still be in my iTunes Match collection when I resync?

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
You can do, as long as you delete, and NOT select "delete from iCloud".
You would also lose them all if you cancel your iTunes Match subscription, to they decide to drop it.
I do not think that the iTunes Match take up is huge, so I think it might go the way of Ping.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
You can do, as long as you delete, and NOT select "delete from iCloud".
You would also lose them all if you cancel your iTunes Match subscription, to they decide to drop it.
I do not think that the iTunes Match take up is huge, so I think it might go the way of Ping.

I also think that despite their promotion of it on iTunes Radio, iTunes Match won't be around much longer. Although it has become a great value with iPhone streaming of music.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I would keep a local back up. I also don't think it will end up like Ping, because they just launched it in other countries just recently (March of 2014). Ping only lasted 2 years.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I would keep a local back up. I also don't think it will end up like Ping, because they just launched it in other countries just recently (March of 2014). Ping only lasted 2 years.

+1. ALWAYS keep local backups. Don't trust the cloud 100%, you'll be sorry at some point.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
+1. ALWAYS keep local backups. Don't trust the cloud 100%, you'll be sorry at some point.

I have one machine that has the local library, other use match to access content.
If only iTunes Radio pushed itself out to us here in the uk, that was one reason why I bought iTunes Match, now in its second year.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
iTunes Match Question

I HEAVILY rely on iTunes Match. I would hate to see it go the way of ping. Ping really didn't seem to have much usefulness or convenience to it where as iTunes Match does.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.