Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Paul McCartney today announced the addition of five of his classic albums to the iOS App store as iPad apps, reports The Guardian. McCartney is following in the footsteps of other musicians such as Lady Gaga and Björk, who also used the tablet device to further the reach of their music.

band-run-ipad.jpeg
McCartney's iPad apps feature some of the musician's most popular albums -- Band on the Run, McCartney, McCartney II, RAM and Wings over America. Each iPad app contains premium content such as remastered audio tracks, archival video footage, interviews, photos and more. They are priced at $7.99, which makes them attractive to music fans who may prefer the discounted iPad apps over the more expensive music-only album versions.

McCartney may be the most long-standing successful musicians to adopt the iPad, but Björk holds the title as one of the first musicians to effectively promote an album using Apple's iOS ecosystem. Björk made headlines in 2011 for her groundbreaking Biophilia iPad app that merged music from the album with mini-games and interactive art tools. The title was recently inducted as the first app in New York's Museum of Modern Art permanent collection. The app also has been used to develop the Biophilia Educational Programme, which is being used as curriculum in several European schools.

Article Link: Paul McCartney Re-Releases Five Popular Albums as iPad Apps

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Finally.

No serious, iTunes should be capable of doing this without the need of a custom app.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
I probably won't repurchase Band on the Run, but it is a classic. IMO everyone should have a copy in their music collection.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Billy Idol

Billy Idols Cyberpunk album came with a floppy disc that had content. I wish they would rerelease that as an iTunes LP or one of these apps. Just my opinion...

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Bit of a gimmick.. It'll be enjoyable because it's interactive for a brief time then you'll go back to listening how you usually would.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Awaiting for a review.

I assume you can't offload the tracks to your iTunes library.
And you probably can't watch the video on AppleTV unless you mirror your iPad, which isn't ideal.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
actually iTunes is capable of doing this, it's called iTunes LP.

The App is an "end run" around the fixed pricing of the LP. He is charging $8 and he gets the KEEP 60% of that $8. If he re-released an LP he's get a tiny percent of the price with the record company keep most of the money.

Apples 30% cut from the app store is very good compared to a record company's cut. And the end user sees a discount too.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Billy Idols Cyberpunk album came with a floppy disc that had content. I wish they would rerelease that as an iTunes LP or one of these apps. Just my opinion...

Hahah! A floppy disc! At the time is was really good, tho.

----------

Because you think it’s good. What a ridiculous statement.

Have you ever heard that album? If you haven't, then your comment is more ridiculous. If you had, then your music taste most likely sucks.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
The App is an "end run" around the fixed pricing of the LP. He is charging $8 and he gets the KEEP 60% of that $8. If he re-released an LP he's get a tiny percent of the price with the record company keep most of the money.

Apples 30% cut from the app store is very good compared to a record company's cut. And the end user sees a discount too.

I think he owns his catalogue. So he is also getting 70% of his regular iTunes sales. You don't have to be on a record label to distribute your album on iTunes.

And the price on iTunes is not really fixed, Apple allows you to price it lower or higher within a certain margin ( no more tha 12.99$ for a 12 tracks+ album, and no less than 5$ , unless it's an EP ).

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris

But that's iTunes Extras , for HD Movies. I see no mention of upcoming iTunes LP ( wich is for music albums) for iOS. And I find that weird, as one is more likely to want to play with the extras while listening to a music album on their iPhone/iPod, than to watch extras for HD movies on an iPhone/iPod.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Good for Paul. It's strange to think how long the Beatles held out against all things Apple, the label name issue aside, I'm meaning iTunes in general. Perhaps Paul wasn't the antagonist.

I wonder if Airplay will allow this to play via Apple TV to a large screen or will DRM prevent this. BTW, If it does AirParrot will anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.