Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
To anyone who sided against Apple over here last week, good morning! Hope you had a nice nap. Breakfast is ready.

China is the Wild West when it comes to respect for intellectual property.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
I realize that the don't clone android phones because they don't have to, but I still find it amazing that China is so blatantly ballsy about copying IPhones.

lbcentaur

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2014
Seeing they have no qualms to using the Apple logo or other IP, I guess they don't care about the copyright to that Carpenter's song in the promo video.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Why would anyone want this? Chances are that these companies will disappear within a year, and they'll have no support.

I wouldn't count on that. There is a huge market for knock offs.
People want to have the prestige of looking like they own an iconic brand without having to pay the real price.

Notice the attention to detail of this clone. To the untrained eye it would look like the real thing. I bet if you put the real product next to the copy that most people would have trouble figuring out which was which.
They didn't show making a purchase from the :apple: App Store though.

----------

I miss the days when innovation meant more to Apple than a slightly enlarged version of an existing product.

Getting the software to layout on all the different screen sizes and look good in all form factors is an innovation. Don't forget about the software. Its the biggest part of the user experience.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
In a world where people who love Apple quality hardware and iOS and the ecosystem can buy an Apple phone as they do now.

Also, as Apple make a LOT of profit on hardware.

The majority of people who don't want iOS but prefer the openness of Android, BUT would enjoy the look and build quality of an Apple device.

Then Apple can offer their hardware to both camps, people who want to use iOS and people who want to use Android.

Why would that be such a crazy concept if they make money either way?

Unless you feel that current Apple users would leave iOS as they could get Android, on Apple build hardware.

That's just a bunch of words put together in the blind hope that some or any of it will make sense.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
This really pisses me off. They even copy the Logo and FCC label. A country where something like this is legal is lacking any dignity and totally unpredictable.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I'm sure we'd all be VERY interested to see just how well an Android based iPhone would sell.

I would hazard a guess it would sell very very well.

Perhaps a future market for Apple as they make so much money from the hardware, why not sell iOS and Android iPhones ?

Two words: DUAL BOOT

My MBA can do it. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Now I use OS X almost exclusively but 0.1% of the time when I need windows I NEED windows. There are a few android apps not available on iOS so I keep an old android phone around for those rare need occasions as well. It would be nice to not have to do that.

nocturnum

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2014
Europe
To anyone who sided against Apple over here last week, good morning! Hope you had a nice nap. Breakfast is ready.

China is the Wild West when it comes to respect for intellectual property.

Well, as much as United States are the Wild West when it comes to the actual property on a worldwide scale.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I miss the old days when Apple products were actual surprises when they launched.

Those days can come back if you cease visiting a website devoted to rumors and part leaks. ;)

That's just a bunch of words put together in the blind hope that some or any of it will make sense.

And so was that. You've basically described every thought ever conveyed by any means at all—save for maths. Well, anyway, enough philosophizing for me. :p

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Hmmm... "GOO"phone... Goo means ***** in my language (Hindi)... Possibly a shitphone in real terms... But, I have never used it so can't really know...

Felipefiq

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
Yeah, I don't understand who would pay money for this. Apparently, some people in China.

Those who, unlike us, don't have a lot of disposable money to spend on a fancy case with outdated hardware inside. The chineses are explored workers, even those who works for apple at Foxconn! They don't have enough money to buy an original iPhone!

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I miss the old days when Apple products were actual surprises when they launched.

Why? I wish we would know exactly what was coming out months ahead. Then we could long range plan on what we are going to do, smartphone-wise.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I'm sure we'd all be VERY interested to see just how well an Android based iPhone would sell.

I would hazard a guess it would sell very very well.

Perhaps a future market for Apple as they make so much money from the hardware, why not sell iOS and Android iPhones ?

I'm not. I'd want it the other way round. I dislike android but prefer a lot of the phones to the iPhone physically.

elchemor

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Abu Dhabi - UAE
8 GB of storage -- am I reading that correctly? This phone is clearly just for people to show off to their friends and is not meant to be a serious phone.

8GB Rom is NOT 8GB of Storage, ROM Is a read only disk (think CD-ROM) that have the crappy software preloaded on it...

they didn't really mention anything about the actual storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.