Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
If anyone uses two laptops daily, can you explain why you have two and how you use them ?

Last edited:

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
I guess you couldn't say that I'm using them both at the same time strictly speaking, but I keep my old 2007 Macbook Pro around as a backup machine and for testing new versions of OSX to confirm they work properly before I install them on my main machine.

However the main reason I haven't sold it is that it's not worth much, so there's really no point to selling it and I probably would give it away to someone if they really needed a machine to replace a broken one.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I use my 15" and 13". depending on tasks.

15" for heavy video editing and gaming, 13" for everything else.

But then, I somehow manage to use all the Macs in my signature simultaneously all the time.

i never found anyone above you...you clearly have them all :D
i mean your signature is the most powerful regard to Apple devices in this site i think

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
i never found anyone above you...you clearly have them all :D
i mean your signature is the most powerful regard to Apple devices in this site i think

I run at least 3 VMs at any time, and I always do heavy 1080p (and now mostly 4K) video editing, as well as encoding and rendering, along with Photoshop :)

So yeah, hence the need for maxed-out devices :p

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I have a 2013 rmbp and 2010 MBP. I take the older one on trips, and having two gives redundancy in case either fails.

romesk90

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2014
I use 3...

the macbook for OSX on a daily basis (although started using windows more).

my hp probook for blackberry development

my acer for windows development.

I also use bootcamp on my osx for both windows and blackberry dev.

Depending on where I travel I use either probook or macbook. If the travel could create a beating for the laptop I bring my pro book as it is more "durable."

I also have one as a HTPC.

I have too many laptops :(

When I am doing some sort of major work I use a second laptop to keep going.

For example, doing a big file transfer can bog down the system. So, to keep my work going *ahem* aka facebook...I do it on my second laptop. Another example is, I was defrag'in my laptop the other night, it took hours. I used my other laptop to continue doing whatever.

I use a logitech mouse and keyboard with 1 unifying receiver that takes 1 second to switch to another laptop. I have my monitor using 2 inputs so I can swap them quickly. I have 2 laptops beside the monitor. The mac is on a rain mStand so it acts as a second monitor when using it.

For data, I use google drive to synch stuff on multiple computers. I also use repositories for my code. I use a hard drive for backups which I manually do. I have another hard drive for automatic backups.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I use a 15" MacBook Pro as my primary computer. I also have an 11" MacBook Air that I use for writing during my daily commute. It's also the machine I bring with me when we travel.

=E=

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
.se
I have one laptop with Windows 7 on it, but I don't use it so much. But I have it laying around, then I have my MBP (spec in sign) and that one I use daily. Only reason I keep the windows laptop around is because it won't be worth much to sell...and my trusty iMac which is my newest :)

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
If anyone uses two laptops daily, can you explain why you have two and how you use them ?

17" 2011MBP & 15" 2007MBP

I run both at the same time. The 17" is what I work on. The 15" I use as a second screen. I often code with some family guy on the second laptop.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Once I get my retina MacBook Pro, that will be for editing on the road then my current 11 inch air which is my travel machine will become a sitting on the sofa but need a full computer laptop if you get me! :D

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I use my PowerBook every day for normal tasks like web browsing, email, documents, etc. I use my MBP for the same stuff. It just depends on which computer I'm closer to or which OS I want to tinker with.

If I'm going somewhere, I will often take the PowerBook, unless I anticipate doing something more CPU intensive. However I've been using the MBP exclusively for the last few days because I've been testing a custom Linux kernel with Grsecurity/PaX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.