Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today announced plans to begin offering accessories under its equipment installment plan, allowing users to purchase various iPhone and iPad accessories and pay for them over 24 months.

The equipment installment plan is available for accessories priced between $69 and $250 and does not require a downpayment for qualified customers. Customers must have a T-Mobile Simple Choice plan and if T-Mobile service is cancelled, the remaining accessory payments are due upon cancellation.

tmobileaccessories.jpg
This means you and your family could walk out the door not only with new smartphones and tablets but also with your choice of the latest audio and mobile accessories--all for $0 down and 24 monthly payments with a Simple Choice plan.

For example, you could pick up the state-of-the-art LG Tone Pro hands-free headset for $0 down and just $2.91 a month for 24 months with absolutely zero interest. You can find more information about T-Mobile's new EIP payment option for accessories at your nearest participating T-Mobile store.
On its website, T-Mobile offers a wide array of accessories, including Jawbone Jambox speakers, Beats By Dre headphones, Mophie charging packs, and more.

T-Mobile is also currently offering a deal that includes a $100 MasterCard with the purchase of both an iPhone and an iPad. T-Mobile will begin selling accessories via payment plan on Sunday, July 20.

Article Link: T-Mobile to Offer Accessories on 24-Month Payment Plan With $0 Down

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
If you can't buy it outright then you can't actually afford it. Same goes with cars, as an American I feel disappointed that people will actually go for this.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If you can't buy it outright then you can't actually afford it. Same goes with cars, as an American I feel disappointed that people will actually go for this.

If they don't actually charge interest and you are planning on keeping service on T-Mobile for that long it's not a bad deal as then you can use that money for something that gets you interest or or to pay a bit more down on some other debt like a car or house.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
If they don't actually charge interest and you are planning on keeping service on T-Mobile for that long it's not a bad deal as then you can use that money for something that gets you interest or or to pay a bit more down on some other debt like a car or house.

Because that's exactly what the demographic for this campaign are going to do.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013

Exactly...that ensures the customer stays with T-mobile for the 2 years and will remain on the hook for the phone and the accessories - not saying this is good the customer, off course.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts

I have a 2013 Highlander that I purchased new with 0% financing over 60 months because of my excellent credit. Why on Earth would I choose to pay for it outright???

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Buying your house in cash are you? There are tons of reasons to finance that have nothing to do with affordability.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

Haha. Such an ignorant rich ... attitude.

If you were the King, you'd make sure the poor could never have access to the facilities you do!

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC

Hope you're saving all your pennies in an emergency health fund that way you'll be able to pay in cash for the costs your health plan will not cover in case of a major accident or debilitating disease. Chemotherapy and spinal surgery is quite expensive and you never know when it's going to get you. So best to avoid those installment plans by saving all your money now.

----------

I have a 2013 Highlander that I purchased new with 0% financing over 60 months because of my excellent credit. Why on Earth would I choose to pay for it outright???

And if you pay for everything in cash and in full then you also don't get that credit rating. So along the way you have to establish a credit line somehow otherwise you will be screwed later on.

The amount of financial institutions that use your credit rating as a character barometer is ridiculous.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
And if you pay for everything in cash and in full then you also don't get that credit rating. So along the way you have to establish a credit line somehow otherwise you will be screwed later on.

The amount of financial institutions that use your credit rating as a character barometer is ridiculous.

Not arguing that point, I have a mortgage and a car payment, but $0 credit card debt (I use my card to pay for everything and pay the balance each month) but I certainly hope you're not implying that financing a Bluetooth headset at $2.88 a month is a good way to build credit.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

Learned this the hard way. Woke up one morning and wanted to be debt free. Haven't used a credit card in 3 years. Only debt I have is a house note but it will be paid off 10 years before I retire.
I'd rather drive a crappy car I paid cash for than make monthly payments on something that depreciates like crazy. And only buy stuff I can pay for upfront. Such a beautiful thing.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

Because if you lose your job, take a pay cut or you or your love one has a unforseen medical emergency that monthly payment could screw you both financially and mentally. If the vehicle is paid for that's one less thing to worry about.
I doubt anyone here can guarantee their employment or health. Not even Tim Cook can guarantee his position and with all the money in the bank Steve Jobs could not beat death.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Haha. Such an ignorant rich ... attitude.

If you were the King, you'd make sure the poor could never have access to the facilities you do!

How is this a "rich" attitude? He is not saying buy a Mercedes Benz with cash. He is saying live within your budget. If you can't afford it outright then you should not buy it. The only exception I have is a house but that doesn't mean that you should over extend yourself and buy more than you need. There's limits to everything. Buying a pair of silly overpriced headphones on monthly payment is crazy. For me buying a $30000 car is crazy when I can buy a car for $1500 when I know how to repair them.
I'm no saint because I've done it. But I've learned from those mistakes. Eventually we all get the picture. My goal is to retire with zero debt. I want to tour the world and not work at Wal-Mart as a door greeter when I'm 80.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa

Getting close to the politics/religion designation, but it gets hard for me to buy into this attitude on an apple fan site when:
A) iPhones were only recently widely available to pay up front (you just spread the cost out month-to-month via contracts)
B) the iPhone requires a contract or other month-to-month (not pay it all upfront in cash) payment to really work
C) American jobs aren't typically paying enough for people to live comfortably without credit. That's just not how our culture and finance systems are set up at this point. It's not just cars and fancy phones, which is why the point you make doesn't hold up for me. I'm not comfortable saying credit is altogether bad and must be avoided.

Back on topic. I got with T-Mobile for my new iPad mini and have loved them. The free 200mb / month has me hooked and I'll probably be ditching ATT for this first time since the first iPhone. Love their moves these last couple of years!

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: credit

Not to get too far off the T-Mobile topic, but the way the lenders calculate your FICO score? Carrying $0 in credit card debt all the time is NOT the optimal way to get the highest score. What they *actually* like to see is responsible, regular use of your card(s) -- meaning not charging more than about 20% of your credit limit at a time, and making on-time monthly payments on it. Paying the balance in full all the time while using it under those circumstances isn't bad at all -- but they'll typically boost your score a few points if they see they can actually make at least a bit of interest off of you once in a while. (People who hold cards but rarely use them, and then pay them in full as soon as they do are just a cost for them, not an asset.)

Not arguing that point, I have a mortgage and a car payment, but $0 credit card debt (I use my card to pay for everything and pay the balance each month) but I certainly hope you're not implying that financing a Bluetooth headset at $2.88 a month is a good way to build credit.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Not to get too far off the T-Mobile topic, but the way the lenders calculate your FICO score? Carrying $0 in credit card debt all the time is NOT the optimal way to get the highest score. What they *actually* like to see is responsible, regular use of your card(s) -- meaning not charging more than about 20% of your credit limit at a time, and making on-time monthly payments on it. Paying the balance in full all the time while using it under those circumstances isn't bad at all -- but they'll typically boost your score a few points if they see they can actually make at least a bit of interest off of you once in a while. (People who hold cards but rarely use them, and then pay them in full as soon as they do are just a cost for them, not an asset.)

That might be true, but my FICO score is already in the upper 700s without me paying a dime of credit card interest. I fail to see how paying credit card interest will benefit me in any way. I would gain nothing by my credit score ticking up a few points - I already got the best rates possible for my car and my house. And you're right, Capital One probably hates me, I've already earned over $200 in cash back this year without paying a cent in interest.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
There's a balance, I myself have a mortgage which is beneficial to credit. But financing cell phone accessories is ridiculous. Im curious if T-mobile will publish how many chose to do this.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Hope you're saving all your pennies in an emergency health fund that way you'll be able to pay in cash for the costs your health plan will not cover in case of a major accident or debilitating disease. Chemotherapy and spinal surgery is quite expensive and you never know when it's going to get you. So best to avoid those installment plans by saving all your money now.

That's on the extreme side. A 10 year old can easily save up to buy and pay with cash a $69 accessory.

I'm not rich, yet both my rMBP and iMac were paid with cash, which I bet most of the people on this forum all have their stuff on credit.

When you pay with cash, you can have nice things without being rich, you just don't get those nice things right away. With patience and saving up, I can pay for most things with cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.