Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fanthomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Hey you guys! I haven't post a lot here but it has always been a pleasure to read your advices and thus, I have a question for you.

I'm currently dealing with a Late 2011 13'' Macbook Pro and here are his specs:

MBP 13''

2,4 ghz Intel Core i5
4 gb RAM
Intel Graphics 3000

As a student who uses his computer a lot for anything from pretty casual HD video editing on FCPX (I don't use special effects much) to some sporadic gaming frivolities (very few LoL and rarely WoW) I'm not having the fun I want with my actual computer and so I'm looking for a new laptop.

I'm kind of hesitating between models but I would like your advice on those specifically:

rMBP 13''

2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Price (with taxes) : 2 056,90$ CAD

rMBP 15''

2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Price (with taxes) : 2 447,82$ CAD

Is the total 400$ bucks more worth the shot? Is a discrete graphic card an absolute must? I would appreciate so much if you could share your thoughts on the matter. Don't be shy to elaborate! Thank you so much!

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hey you guys! I haven't post a lot here but it has always been a pleasure to read your advices and thus, I have a question for you.

I'm currently dealing with a Late 2011 13'' Macbook Pro and here are his specs:

MBP 13''

2,4 ghz Intel Core i5
4 gb RAM
Intel Graphics 3000

As a student who uses his computer a lot for anything from pretty casual HD video editing on FCPX (I don't use special effects much) to some sporadic gaming frivolities (very few LoL and rarely WoW) I'm not having the fun I want with my actual computer and so I'm looking for a new laptop.

I'm kind of hesitating between models but I would like your advice on those specifically:

rMBP 13''

2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

rMBP 15''

2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Is the total 400$ bucks more worth the shot? I would appreciate so much if you could share your thoughts on the matter. Don't be shy to elaborate! Thank you so much!

I have a late 2011 15" MBP that I just breathed new life in about a month ago by popping in a Samsung 840 EVO 750 GB SSD. I already had 8 GB of RAM in there and I have 16 GB sitting on my desk waiting for me to get "around to it".

I love the rMBP. I really do. But I'm having a tough time with the decision to walk away from the ability to do my own upgrades down the road. I know with TB and USB3, the line between internal and external is becoming blurry but for now I'm happy to keep what I have.

Since you're looking at 2 rMBP machines, I'd err on the side of putting in more RAM and storage up front unless you don't mind using an external FW or TB drive for your FCPX projects and other bulky files. Another thing to consider is the screen. If you are used to the 13 in screen, the 13 in rMBP could be great as it offers much higher resolution in a form factor you are used to. I remember going from my 13 in white Macbook to my 15 in hires antiglare MBP was a great improvement. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't get the 13 in MBP but if retina were available back then, perhaps it wouldn't be such a huge difference. I never take my MBP anywhere. It's basically a desktop in my usage pattern. If you plan to cart your rMBP around, you might find you would rather have the 13 in rMBP. Just spring more up front for more storage and you won't regret it.

Fanthomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I totally forgot to mention that I won't be having my current computer in a month or so. Sorry!

sdimas

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2014
USA
2400$ for the bottom 15"? I just got the top tier for $2200 and will receive a $200 best buy certificate.
Is it feasible for you to come down to US and buy it here?

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
I would not do the i7 on the 13 and use that money to up your SSD size, there is a negligible difference between the i5 and i7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.