Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZZZAC

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
ALB repairs uk
I got the same results, after swapping the SMC-No change
Ive swapped the BIL cable just in case- No change
There was signs of water spillage near the BIL connector before the Ultrasonic bath. Could the BIL connector be shorting? I have a replacement BIL connector I may swap it or at least look underneath. I will look into it today and report back.

sorry i could not attach the pics but pin 4 on the BIL connector is damaged only viewable with my USB scope.
Didioh in an earlier post on this tread told me to check if 4 and 6 are shorted, I thought I checked it but it still may be an issue, I will swap the BIL connector today and let you know.

funnily enough this also had a green spot around the BIL connector i was going to putt it up before the smc but im thinking surely not. please let me know. :(
pulled the BIL connector and still short. Driving me mad :/

Last edited:

Sheridansystems

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
SoCal
funnily enough this also had a green spot around the BIL connector i was going to putt it up before the smc but im thinking surely not. please let me know. :(

Swapped BIL connector, slight change. The battery shows only present in system information. But still not charging, and no detailed battery information. Strangely, and by accident while doing SMC reset I must have plugged the battery in and it seemed to have posted and run off the battery. I'm going to charge the battery up tonight it's getting late and will report back tomorrow try to get it posted and running with the battery during the SMC reset process. Do you know why it would run off the battery bypassing the SMC?

greekhero

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Macbook Pro 2011 - 820-2915-B - i7 Shuts down after a few minutes if battery present

Hello All,

Having a really strange problem with A1286 Macbook Pro 2011 820-2915-B:

1. It works fine WITHOUT battery.
2. If battery is present it randomly shutdown after 3-10 minute of use. I have tried different batteries and the batteries that witness shutdown on other machines no joy.
3. The logs don't show anything sw related. Memory is ok.
4. If charges the battery just fine.

I am really puzzled what may be wrong as the system and where to start from. any ideas?

Thanks!

nicoar10

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Spain
Hello All,

Having a really strange problem with A1286 Macbook Pro 2011 820-2915-B:

1. It works fine WITHOUT battery.
2. If battery is present it randomly shutdown after 3-10 minute of use. I have tried different batteries and the batteries that witness shutdown on other machines no joy.
3. The logs don't show anything sw related. Memory is ok.
4. If charges the battery just fine.

I am really puzzled what may be wrong as the system and where to start from. any ideas?

Thanks!

Try to remove BIL connector.

Sheridansystems

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
SoCal

I am getting 3.4volts on all four point R5280 and R5281. But it still will not run in a normal boot, just runs off battery during SMC bypass.

Can you tell me the location of C6953 and C6952??

Are the 6 resistors on the exact opposite side of the board part of the charging system? I am getting different OHM values
Problem 820-2530 test 820-2530

104k 17k 142k 62k
100k 9.19k 102k .L
6.6k 9.19k 9.7k .L

the two testing 9.19 look a bit burnt out. I am not sure what voltages are present on the test 820-2530?

thanks

Last edited:

ZZZAC

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
ALB repairs uk
no it is not, I used them with my MacBook logic board and share their info with you

With all due respect, stop advertising for other people? do they give you a discount for diong so, its all over there youtube channel.

My point is shame on you :eek:
Especially considering half the people here are experienced with these repairs, and the others are trying to learn to repiar, your not even targeting the right audience (expect for maybe a few odd posters in the thread)

If we wanted someone to do the work for us we would have probably found them anyway...

Have a good evening. :apple:

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
With all due respect, stop advertising for other people? do they give you a discount for diong so, its all over there youtube channel.

My point is shame on you :eek:
Especially considering half the people here are experienced with these repairs, and the others are trying to learn to repiar, your not even targeting the right audience (expect for maybe a few odd posters in the thread)

If we wanted someone to do the work for us we would have probably found them anyway...

Have a good evening. :apple:
I actually have another question, if you wouldn't mind me asking. When you do rework, do you find it easier to use a preheater? I think it would be easier getting the board to say, 200*C and then coming in with hot at at 400*C, then trying to do it all with a hot air station. It's probably overkill but I would like to have an opinion from someone more experienced than I.

Of course, a preheater wouldn't probably make a dent in these boards as they are basically a giant heatsink, and very densely populated...

As for finding others here to do the work, yeah there are quite a few people on these threads that would gladly do repair work. And honestly Maclo, I would rather give my money to some independent repair guy here trying to make some extra cash to make ends meet.

greekhero

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Macbook Pro 2011 - 820-2915-B - i7 Shuts down after a few minutes if battery present

Try to remove BIL connector.

Hi Nicoar, thanks for your quick reply. I did try without the BIL and no joy. The behavior didn't change at all. Still shuts down after a few minutes.

dellxps15

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Hi all I have a K90i I am getting 5.5v - 14.4v at F7040? have changed u7000 still the same just go up and down all the time unstable.
I get 16.4v pin 5 q7030 stable. is this a case Q7030 Q7035 not working? I have not seen any thing on thred on this problem going to 14.4v?
Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

South657

i have the exact same problem. changed many u7000 with same results.

im going to investigate the whole dcin schematic.

pS: what is BIL connector ?

i read someone fixed macbook by heating it up, but as i have a reworking station, what was the problem ,gpu problem with artifact or some other problem like no startup no chime?

nicoar10

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Spain
Hi Nicoar, thanks for your quick reply. I did try without the BIL and no joy. The behavior didn't change at all. Still shuts down after a few minutes.

Did you check D6990 ?

Attachments

• 820-2915.jpg
    820-2915.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 518

nicoar10

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Spain
i have the exact same problem. changed many u7000 with same results.

im going to investigate the whole dcin schematic.

pS: what is BIL connector ?

i read someone fixed macbook by heating it up, but as i have a reworking station, what was the problem ,gpu problem with artifact or some other problem like no startup no chime?

BIL connector is status battery indicator, left side of topcase.

ZZZAC

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
ALB repairs uk
I am getting 3.4volts on all four point R5280 and R5281. But it still will not run in a normal boot, just runs off battery during SMC bypass.

Can you tell me the location of C6953 and C6952??

Are the 6 resistors on the exact opposite side of the board part of the charging system? I am getting different OHM values
Problem 820-2530 test 820-2530

104k 17k 142k 62k
100k 9.19k 102k .L
6.6k 9.19k 9.7k .L

the two testing 9.19 look a bit burnt out. I am not sure what voltages are present on the test 820-2530?

thanks

The two measuring 9.19k are C6953 and C6953 capacitors.
the fact they only measure 9.19k says to me that something in the BIL circuit is pulling them to ground and somethings short circuit somewhere.

ive attached a jpg of the BRD for the two capacitors you were after, but im not going to do any more components for you, just get this board view software running via WINE or crossover or something!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually have another question, if you wouldn't mind me asking. When you do rework, do you find it easier to use a preheater? I think it would be easier getting the board to say, 200*C and then coming in with hot at at 400*C, then trying to do it all with a hot air station. It's probably overkill but I would like to have an opinion from someone more experienced than I.

Of course, a preheater wouldn't probably make a dent in these boards as they are basically a giant heatsink, and very densely populated...

As for finding others here to do the work, yeah there are quite a few people on these threads that would gladly do repair work. And honestly Maclo, I would rather give my money to some independent repair guy here trying to make some extra cash to make ends meet.

I honestly find by using a preheater my solder time is lower, this doesnt sound significant but i like to think some of these chips and area's are actualy somewhat heat sensitive, the quicker i can get the heat away from components the happier i am. It also means i can run my hot air station at a lower tempriture for the reason that the board is already sat at around at 180 or so.

sometimes i dont use the preheater but i usually do. To put it simply it is overkill and unnecessary for things like resistors, capacitors, maybe even bigger QFN's but i wouldn't like to change or reball an SMC without a bottom heater as the pads may come away if the boards not up to temperature and your wicking the old solder of the board.
having good equipment does certainly make a difference, im tempted to change my iron soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my personal endeavors i have a very frustrating problem. My SDA line is being pulled down with a resistance of 0.5k to ground, whereas a simalar board is 30k to ground. it only measures 0.6v rather than 3.4v

the board generates all the correct voltages apart from this. it will run of a charged battery however not recognize it. im so confused as to why this problem has persisted consider the steps ive taken in attempt to resolve this.

i may go round to do a final sweep of all the potential components again, i notice when i first saw the short it was 32ohm or something rather low. so i may have actually found and replaced one faulty capacitor or something since then because the short is now 0.5k since attempting to resolve this. am i mad to think there could be more than one component failure on this line thats causing this?
could the old battery have exploded or something?
maybe someone could theorize why its not working properly. sure seams to have beaten my brain hard.
please check the attached pictures. Have a great day!

Attachments

• ScreenShot253.jpg
    ScreenShot253.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 313
  • pure confusion.jpg
    pure confusion.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

nicoar10

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Spain
In my personal endeavors i have a very frustrating problem. My SDA line is being pulled down with a resistance of 0.5k to ground, whereas a simalar board is 30k to ground. it only measures 0.6v rather than 3.4v

the board generates all the correct voltages apart from this. it will run of a charged battery however not recognize it. im so confused as to why this problem has persisted consider the steps ive taken in attempt to resolve this.

i may go round to do a final sweep of all the potential components again, i notice when i first saw the short it was 32ohm or something rather low. so i may have actually found and replaced one faulty capacitor or something since then because the short is now 0.5k since attempting to resolve this. am i mad to think there could be more than one component failure on this line thats causing this?
could the old battery have exploded or something?
maybe someone could theorize why its not working properly. sure seams to have beaten my brain hard.
please check the attached pictures. Have a great day!

if you don´t have SDA - SCL signals even replacing ISL6258/59, you have bad SMC. Need to replace it. You can use another SMC from another same year board. It´s a bga easy to reball. just need a stencil and 0.45 balls

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Hi, I hope you can help me out with this.

I have a macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012, with fan rotating at full speed , very loud and annoying. furthermore everything is laggy. Even when formatting the partition, navigating in an install menu from usb pen drive is also laggy.. same story mouse cursor has hiccups very weird ..

The macbook acts like this since it has been dropped. HDD is fine, SMART shows no errors and HDD doesn't make any abnormal noises. There is NO water damage or whatsoever, it has only been dropped and the glass of the screen cracked.

I tried some things. PRAM and SMC reset multiple times. Doenst change anything.
Apple Hardware Diagnostics and Apple Service Diagnostics EFI give an error at Ts0p , ASD tells SMC IO Error.
Now I read that this is sensor related (palm rest sensor). But nobody actually knows where the sensor sits, some say trackpad, some say flex cable (Apple Technician guide , vaguely) .
I borrowed a Macbook unibody Mid 2009 which I fixed before and took the working trackpad with its flex cable and built it into my machine.
Did SMC reset and everything but nothing changed ... Fan going full speed and cursor still laggy.

So I believe there is no connection between the Trackpad flex and the smc on the logic board.
But I am not sure. What do the pros think? Appreciate any help

edit: I also built my trackpad into the 2009 mbp and it worked perfectly fine.

varungargi

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2013
try re soldering it again. i believe the chip sits with the dot in the top right corner of the package.
If you still get 7v. turn it off quickly. check resistors around g3hot and if all is good replace the regulator.

Thanks for the inputs ZZZAC, replacing the regulator helped.
I received the PM6640 yesterday, replaced it now i get 3.45 V on Pin 6

But now the board has another problem, it gives dim green light on magsafe connector.

I checked the voltages on U7000 which is ISL6259

PIN 3 -> 4.04 V CHGR_ACIN
PIN 9 -> .03 V CHGR_AMON
PIN 15 -> 3.42 V CHGR_BMON
PIN 2 -> 16.7 V PPCHGR_DCIN
PIN 14 -> 3.3 V CHGR_ACOK
PIN 18 -> 11.75 V CHGR_CSO_P --- to Battery
PIN 17 -> 12.28V CHGR_CSO_N --- to Battery
PIN 8 -> 2V CHGR_VNEG
PIN 16 ->12.21V CHGR_BGATE

The above voltages makes me think the ISL chip is fine.
But still i get a Dim green light.

is there any other voltages that i can check or look for a component which is faulty

nicoar10

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Spain
Hi, I hope you can help me out with this.

I have a macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012, with fan rotating at full speed , very loud and annoying. furthermore everything is laggy. Even when formatting the partition, navigating in an install menu from usb pen drive is also laggy.. same story mouse cursor has hiccups very weird ..

The macbook acts like this since it has been dropped. HDD is fine, SMART shows no errors and HDD doesn't make any abnormal noises. There is NO water damage or whatsoever, it has only been dropped and the glass of the screen cracked.

I tried some things. PRAM and SMC reset multiple times. Doenst change anything.
Apple Hardware Diagnostics and Apple Service Diagnostics EFI give an error at Ts0p , ASD tells SMC IO Error.
Now I read that this is sensor related (palm rest sensor). But nobody actually knows where the sensor sits, some say trackpad, some say flex cable (Apple Technician guide , vaguely) .
I borrowed a Macbook unibody Mid 2009 which I fixed before and took the working trackpad with its flex cable and built it into my machine.
Did SMC reset and everything but nothing changed ... Fan going full speed and cursor still laggy.

So I believe there is no connection between the Trackpad flex and the smc on the logic board.
But I am not sure. What do the pros think? Appreciate any help

edit: I also built my trackpad into the 2009 mbp and it worked perfectly fine.

Palmrest sensor is inside trackpad. probably you will need to replace trackpad cable.

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Palmrest sensor is inside trackpad. probably you will need to replace trackpad cable.

I think I couldnt make my point clear. Sry for my english.
I assumed the same as you and that is why I got my hands on a mid 2009 model and swapped the trackpads with flex cable attached.

Result: My macbook still showed the same behavior and Ts0p error. Nothing changed.

On the other side my trackpad with my flexcable worked flawless in my friends macbook.

That is why I am clueless right now.
The only thing that would make sense right now is that the culprit is on the logic board side and not the component side (trackpad and flex) .
So starting from the flex connector on the logic board to the smc something must be wrong? The PSOc maybe?
I have a bit of hard time understanding the schematics , iphone schematics were easier :S

So I'd appreciate any help and sharing of knowledge.
Also I am using a k90i (mbp 13 early 2011) schematics since It seems impossible to find anything on my 2012 model. I dont even know the codename.

Shall I make photos from ASD and AHT?
Uh yeah I also did an smc reset before testing my friend's trackpad inside my macbook pro.

edit:
Thanks to code600 , I found the schematics. So this is a better pdf to work with
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18490743/

edit: thanks nicoar10. now I got the brd from your dropbox. :) You probably also uploaded the schematic before :)

Last edited:

ZZZAC

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
ALB repairs uk
if you don´t have SDA - SCL signals even replacing ISL6258/59, you have bad SMC. Need to replace it. You can use another SMC from another same year board. It´s a bga easy to reball. just need a stencil and 0.45 balls

Tried it, i get the same symptoms with a different smc!

Thanks for the inputs ZZZAC, replacing the regulator helped.
I received the PM6640 yesterday, replaced it now i get 3.45 V on Pin 6

But now the board has another problem, it gives dim green light on magsafe connector.

I checked the voltages on U7000 which is ISL6259

PIN 3 -> 4.04 V CHGR_ACIN
PIN 9 -> .03 V CHGR_AMON
PIN 15 -> 3.42 V CHGR_BMON
PIN 2 -> 16.7 V PPCHGR_DCIN
PIN 14 -> 3.3 V CHGR_ACOK
PIN 18 -> 11.75 V CHGR_CSO_P --- to Battery
PIN 17 -> 12.28V CHGR_CSO_N --- to Battery
PIN 8 -> 2V CHGR_VNEG
PIN 16 ->12.21V CHGR_BGATE

The above voltages makes me think the ISL chip is fine.
But still i get a Dim green light.

is there any other voltages that i can check or look for a component which is faulty

i havent seen my fair share of dim green light problems yet.
However i would check all the resistors around the charging IC
your voltages do certainly look okay. Does anyone else know any commonality with the dim green light symtoms?

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
While I was looking around I noticed a part missing.Is it ok, that this part is missing?

edit: alright. I realised that every so called 3-pin sensor that is listed on page 55 , lacks the specific capacitor next to it... so that should be normal I guess

Attachments

• Foto.png
    Foto.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 605
Last edited:

varungargi

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2013
Tried it, i get the same symptoms with a different smc!

i havent seen my fair share of dim green light problems yet.
However i would check all the resistors around the charging IC
your voltages do certainly look okay. Does anyone else know any commonality with the dim green light symtoms?

okay let me check all the resistors near the charging IC.

Also the board still doesn't boots, The fuse seems to be okay. The line which says "TO SYSTEM" =PPBUS_G3H has 12.32V on it.

Which is the next component i should look for ?

ZZZAC

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
ALB repairs uk
okay let me check all the resistors near the charging IC.

Also the board still doesn't boots, The fuse seems to be okay. The line which says "TO SYSTEM" =PPBUS_G3H has 12.32V on it.

Which is the next component i should look for ?

Check your U7200 5v 3.3v chip. First check for 3.3v s5 at the inductor for it. Then press the power pads and see if you also get 5v s5.
Also you need to check if you get voltage on u7200 Pgood line.
good luck :)

if youve got a dim green i doubt this will be the culprate, but i dont personally have the time to invest in a full internet diagnosis of your logic board much further than this
have you tried a new magsafe and charger? ive only really seen dim green on duff magsafes and chargers

While I was looking around I noticed a part missing.Is it ok, that this part is missing?

edit: alright. I realised that every so called 3-pin sensor that is listed on page 55 , lacks the specific capacitor next to it... so that should be normal I guess

820-3115, just looked, seems normal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.