Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today launched a new Mentions app, designed for "actors, athletes, musicians, and other influencers," allowing them to "discover and join conversations" on Facebook.

Limited to Facebook users who are "verified public figures," Mentions aims to let celebrities interact with fans. The app displays mentions to let users know what the public is saying about them, and it has tools for sharing status updates, photos, and videos, much like the standard Facebook app. It also includes a feature that allows celebrity users to host live question and answer sessions directly from their iPhone.

Along with tools for interaction with fans, Mentions will also display trending conversations, so celebrities can share an opinion on popular news.

mentions.jpg
Facebook Mentions is currently only available to verified public figures using Pages. To gain access to Mentions, visit http://facebook.com/mentions.

Mentions is a new way for actors, athletes, musicians and other influencers to discover and join conversations on Facebook.

- See what fans are saying - Start a conversation with people and influencers who are talking about you.
- Tell your story - Share updates, photos and videos and host live Q&As directly from your phone.
- Join popular conversations
- Discover what's trending and add your voice to the story.
According to Facebook product managers (via Re/code), celebrities who have tested Mentions use Facebook twice as much as before. Actors like Tyrese Gibson have been experimenting with the app for several months, with Gibson reportedly using Mentions to share the famous video where Dr. Dre bragged about being a billionaire ahead of Apple's Beats acquisition announcement.

While Mentions will remain limited to verified public figures for the time being, Facebook says it has plans to expand access to conventional Facebook users in the future.

Mentions can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Launches Exclusive 'Mentions' App for Verified Public Figures

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Everyone hates on facebook but I honestly think it's here to stay. It's the go-to social network for a huge chunk of internet users along with twitter. As much as some of you wish these companies a painful death for whatever reason, it's probably not going to happen. People apparently love social networking and fads usually don't last as long as this one has...

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Facebook is going to be the new Myspace very soon

I've been thinking the same thing. Although I was never into Facebook or Myspace to begin with. Yuk - social media sucks except for maybe Twitter that has its uses.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've been thinking the same thing. Although I was never into Facebook or Myspace to begin with. Yuk - social media sucks except for maybe Twitter that has its uses.
It's more like "social media sucks [for some people]" while it's perfectly fine and even useful for many many others.

henzpwnapple

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
Facebook is now a bridge ONLY for apps that required me to login with. Interestingly, most of the apps that required Facebook login are junk LOL

What a coincident. :rolleyes:

----------

Which will happen when a better app/website comes along...which is...?

Facelook.. Facester.. Friendslook.. Snooker.. :apple:

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
Facebook can only copy apps they can't buy. Trying very hard to stay relevant. Can't blame them though. Millennials have absolutely no interest in Facebook.

Snapchat - copied
Twitter - copied
Instagram - bought
Whatsapp - bought

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Facebook can only copy apps they can't buy. Trying very hard to stay relevant. Can't blame them though. Millennials have absolutely no interest in Facebook.

Snapchat - copied
Twitter - copied
Instagram - bought
Whatsapp - bought
Yup there are just no Millenials on Facebook. And primarily because Facebook copies stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.