Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

culb0743

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
+1 for the Kanex 4 Port Hub. Recommended.

Be aware the charging port does not output 2.1 amps unless the Mac it is connected to is turned off.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
thanks !

I changed my mind and I bought an Elgato thunderbolt dock.

I connect my usb3 hard drive, a usb2 for keyboard and stuff I don't need speed, my apple cinema display (mini display port via thunderbolt) and this box has an integrated gigabit ethernet adapter and sound card.

So, when I want to work on my desk, I connect my power cable and ONE thunderbolt cable then my apple cinema display turn on, my hard drive starts, my rMBP use the ethernet cable and my sound system is used as speakers. Wonderful !

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Any updates

Any updates on a good USB 3.0 hub, I looking for one for my mac mini and I will be using it to attach multiple USB hard drives to my Mac Mini server.

JML54

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2013
Perhaps anyone who has found success with USB 3.0 hubs on Macs could also note any problems with wireless interference (2.4 ghz) from the hub (network, mouse transmitters, phones, etc.).

I ordered two different VIA VL812 hubs with external AC transformers for full power on the USB ports. The first was a very nicely made Anker AK-68ANHUB-B14A, with 13+1 ports, in black-anodized aluminum. Appeared to let two external USB 3.0 drives work, plus other USB 2.0 peripherals, but my Logitech Unifying receiver (2.4 ghz) could not connect to the mouse. The second, a beautiful silver-anodized aluminum UtechSmart 10-port hub, kept dropping my OWC external USB 3.0 drive, but let my Logitech Unifying receiver work just fine. I ordered these because both have metal shells and I thought they'd be more likely to have better shielding.

Last edited:

Robin Lee

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Hi - I need a USB 3.0 hub for my 2012 MBA, and am unsure which one to get, as it sounds like some are partially incompatible with Macs! I'm running OS X 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, if it makes any difference. A 4-port hub would probably be fine, so I've been considering:

TRENDnet TU3 H4

or
D-Link USB 3.0 4 Port Hub

There's also these ones:

Uspeed USB 3.0 4 Port Hub

and

StarTech.com 4 Port Black SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub

Which would be best? I'm currently thinking the D-Link might be the one to go for, but would value input from anyone who's had experience of any of these! Thanks

I am using Buffalo USB3.0 hub which has a cable length of 30cm. Its model is BSH4U22U3. Both my Buffalo and WD USB3.0 external hard disks run at USB3.0. It only has a magnet so if you have a metallic table, it just sticks to the table firmly. The only downside is that the current output is only 800mA. There is a model which has an power adapter which increases the power output. Though I can't find it now.

http://buffalo.jp/product/peripheral/usb-hub/

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I bought an anker usb3 7-port hub some months ago.
It works well, but sometimes it does not recognize some devices, that otherwise always recognize.
I found that if I pull the power plug and connect it again, then it founds any 'missing' devices.
I wonder, does these hubs have firmware updates and how this could be done?

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Anyone got any recomendations on a powered USB 3.0 hub? One that can charge and iPhone 6 and retina iPad Mini, but not necessarily at the same time!

Cheers

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I bought an el-cheapo usb3.0 from eBay, and it has issues.

- won't charge iPad no matter what. Do any Hubs do that
- won't run my CineRaid dual 2.5" enclosure, no matter which part of it is connected to outlet (the hub or the enclosure). It runs fine directly.

mikepj

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
I have an Anker AH240 7 port USB 3 hub (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRQ3ZES/ref=cm_sw_su_dp).

I did a lot of research trying to find a powered hub that would charge multiple iOS devices while connected to a Mac (I'm an iOS developer, so I have several devices that need to stay connected for debugging and stay charged all the time). Most hubs, even powered ones, will only charge an iPhone slowly and will not charge an iPad. Some hubs have "charging ports" which will fast-charge an iPad, but the device won't be connected to your Mac for syncing at the same time.

The Anker AH240 will output 1.5 amps on each port, which is plenty to charge an iPhone, and I've found it will also slowly charge an iPad even when the iPad is turned on (the iPad will charge faster if it's in sleep mode). The supported 1.5 amps falls short of the amount of power available by the standard iPad charger (2.1 amps, I think), but as long as it will charge while the iPad is turned on, that's good enough for me.

Haven't had any reliability problems since getting it a few months back. It's built well and comes with a well-insulated USB 3 cable to connect to your Mac.

applebutter

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
I'm looking for a 7 port usb 3.0 that will work with external hard drives.

Doesn't need to have charging port.

One that isn't too cheap.

It would be used with my iMac.

Thanks

applebutter

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
I need something with a detachable cable that one looks like it's attached.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Alum...TF8&qid=1431506631&sr=1-1&keywords=afendo+hub

That one, detachable cable, nice design in alu ;)

afendo-r-concentrateur-7-ports-portable-usb-hub-3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.