Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Not necessarily. Games and navigation apps with offline maps can take up a huge chunk. Same goes for comics and magazines. Also, I don't think you can choose playback software with those wifi drives (I like using Plex for browsing and watching videos). At least, the ones I've used before (Kingston Wi-Drive) don't let you.

The apps are so big these days. The move to 64 bit will lead to even larger size. :mad:

dkl

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012
I know it's almost sacrilegeous to mention - but have you considered an Android device with swappable micro-SD cards? You could buy a bunch of micro-SD's and keep them with your portable.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I know it's almost sacrilegeous to mention - but have you considered an Android device with swappable micro-SD cards? You could buy a bunch of micro-SD's and keep them with your portable.
I've tried going this route. I've got like 8 64GB microSDXC cards and even more 32GB cards kept in credit card sized cases for organization. Alas, I'm still waiting for a decent Android tablet with 4:3 display and high PPI. I've tried some Chinese-branded 9.7" retina Android tablets but those were just plain awful.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I've tried going this route. I've got like 8 64GB microSDXC cards and even more 32GB cards kept in credit card sized cases for organization. Alas, I'm still waiting for a decent Android tablet with 4:3 display and high PPI. I've tried some Chinese-branded 9.7" retina Android tablets but those were just plain awful.

Hp slate 8 pro?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm so tired of the "just use the cloud!" people.

Really, just shut up.

If you're around high speed Wifi or LTE all the time and have an unlimited plan, then it may work for you. But that's not the case for most of us. I have good Wifi at home and work, but when I'm traveling, network access can be a crapshoot. And my LTE has a 4GB cap with overages, so if I streamed all the time it would get expensive. And that's assuming I have good coverage everywhere.

Local storage is important. It will always be, until network connectivity is VASTLY better, and knowing this greedy, incompetent industry, it won't be for a LONG time.

Reactions: jbachandouris

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I'm so tired of the "just use the cloud!" people.

Really, just shut up.

If you're around high speed Wifi or LTE all the time and have an unlimited plan, then it may work for you. But that's not the case for most of us. I have good Wifi at home and work, but when I'm traveling, network access can be a crapshoot. And my LTE has a 4GB cap with overages, so if I streamed all the time it would get expensive. And that's assuming I have good coverage everywhere.

Local storage is important. It will always be, until network connectivity is VASTLY better, and knowing this greedy, incompetent industry, it won't be for a LONG time.

Its insane to keep 100GB of music on a mobile device. Most of it is sitting there doing nothing. You don't listen to all of that music all the time.

That means you have about 20,500 songs inside an iPad. Haha. That's crazy.

If you want that, then you need a laptop not a tablet.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hp slate 8 pro?
Interesting. Didn't know about that one. I love almost all the specs but 453g for being only 8" makes it a non-option. It's just around 45g short of the iPad Air and is roughly 1.5 times the weight of the Mini. Hopefully, someone will release a version that weighs closer to 300g. That's pretty much my limit for extended single-handed operation which is what I'll want to use this for (marathon reading sessions).

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
I am always scared to use my Spotify service in the car because of data limits and its stupid. If carriers increased data limits to enough for the average person to actually use the average amount of data would be great. Tmobile offering the unlimited streaming of music is a step in the right direction. I don't keep any media on my device since the takeoff of services like Spotify and itunes match and Beats music.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I am always scared to use my Spotify service in the car because of data limits and its stupid. If carriers increased data limits to enough for the average person to actually use the average amount of data would be great. Tmobile offering the unlimited streaming of music is a step in the right direction. I don't keep any media on my device since the takeoff of services like Spotify and itunes match and Beats music.
If you actually take into account all customers, average data usage is low because your average user doesn't really stream music or do a lot of stuff that use up lots of bandwidth.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
Yeah, I hear ya. I guess what I meant was like comparable to at home usage. We have a shared data plan of 10 gigs now between 3 people and that works well for us if I monitor it almost daily. I just wish I didn't have to do that. Sure we could increase the data to 20 or even 50 but damn that gets expensive. I just want a phone plan that works and does what I need it to do and is cost efficient and I d....oh sorry I was daydreaming there. :D

If you actually take into account all customers, average data usage is low because your average user doesn't really stream music or do a lot of stuff that use up lots of bandwidth.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Seriously running short of space here...

3 GB remaining. :mad:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
For serious work 16gb has always been enough on both of my ipads.
Media is streamed.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Seriously running short of space here...

3 GB remaining. :mad:

An iPad or any tablet was ever meant to be your portable hard drive for every song you have ever purchased.

I'm sure there are people that have 1TB of music and movies. So they will complain because they can't put it all in their iPad or iPhone?

Why do you need 20,000 songs in your iPad?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
128GB is plenty until they go with big pixel camera like 10MP, and 4k recording...so for 2014 and 2015 is Enough

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I purchased iPad Air WiFi 128 GB. I loaded it up with iTunes purchases and music and now I just have 4GB free space. :rolleyes:

I don't buy into the cloud storage fad. It's useless for video streaming and my ISP has bandwidth limits.

Does anyone think 128 GB is still too low?

You lucky bugger, I've got a iPad 4 LTE with just 16GB, I've got 900mb left :(

128GB would be awesome, but yeah I can imagine it becoming too small once you find a whole lot of content to fill it up with. I'd love to have that much space.

I am all about local storage, I also don't buy the whole Cloud Storage thing completely, I back up something's to the cloud but prefer local storage.

GalFriday

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Northeast US
I purchased iPad Air WiFi 128 GB. I loaded it up with iTunes purchases and music and now I just have 4GB free space. :rolleyes:

I don't buy into the cloud storage fad. It's useless for video streaming and my ISP has bandwidth limits.

:rolleyes:

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014

I think 128GB of storage is plenty enough at the moment but I would like Apple to bump up the storage to 256GB for the iPads in the future, I think it is only a matter of time when this happens now!! :)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
So I now have a 64GB Air 2, and seems enough for me as I can now fit my Games (Asphalt 8, Real Racing and GT Racing 2) as well as some music, although I use my phone for music mainly. 128GB would be ideal though.

All I know is that I will never go 16GB again, THAT was VERY painful.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

If I needed to carry around all of my digital media, an iPad with 10TB of storage would be too low. :eek:

Reactions: Capt T

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
I have a 128GB iPad Pro and have around 70GB free. I keep all my music loaded on it, but I keep the movies in the cloud and only download a few if I need to. I don't watch movies on my iPad unless I'm traveling so I don't need the extra space. I'd probably be more than fine with 64GB, but not the 32GB that was offered as the next step down.

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
We currently have 128 GB iPads in our household, an iPad Air 1 (3G) and an iPad Air 2 (wi-fi). They are also used by our kids, and well, some of those game are like 1 or 2 GB a piece. So glad I got rid of the 16 GB devices.

I wouldn't mind it if Apple would change the top tier to 256 GB for the same price, though ;).

The amount of flash used in producing all these devices by Apple monthly is quite stagering, come to think of it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have a 128GB iPad air 2 and iPad mini 3. Both are nearly full. 128 GB allows me to use the device comfortably but if Apple brought out 256GB iPad I'd defiantly buy one. 16GB is so painful. I made the mistake of getting the original iPad mini in 16GB because I had a full sized Samsung tablet with an SD card I thought 16GB would be enough. It wasn't.

I prefer local storage because although I have fast internet at home, my iPads are wifi only and I only have an 8GB data allowance on my iPhone. Also streaming music and videos from iTunes is not quite there for me yet. The streaming is fine but it often takes up space on your device which doesn't always get released automatically or quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.