Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I think the security Apple is putting into iOS 7 is great but if the 5 or 5S get stolen couldn't a thief just restore it in DFU mode?

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I think the security Apple is putting into iOS 7 is great but if the 5 or 5S get stolen couldn't a thief just restore it in DFU mode?

The phone could not be activated without the original owner signing in with their Apple ID. Phone would be unusable. Sent from my iPad.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
How will it get past the Activation screen?

When the Apple logo disappears, the message shown below will appear. No way to get around it unless you know the Apple ID & password.

find_my_iphone_erase_screen.jpg

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I would think they could put the phone in DFU mode to get around this. Especially with the 5 or lower they could restore to iOS 6 which does not have this feature. I had 7 on my iPad and restored it to iOS 6 and I cold set it up as a new phone without signing in.

When the Apple logo disappears, the message shown below will appear. No way to get around it unless you know the Apple ID & password.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
I would think they could put the phone in DFU mode to get around this. Especially with the 5 or lower they could restore to iOS 6 which does not have this feature. I had 7 on my iPad and restored it to iOS 6 and I cold set it up as a new phone without signing in.
Downgrading doesn't work. The lock is on Apple's servers. As long as the device was triggered as lost & erased in Find my iPhone, it won't activate regardless of device version.

Check out this thread:
Returning to iOS 6 keeps activation lock

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
So glad that Apple came out with activation lock. Hopefully it will curb the iPhone thefts greatly. Can't believe how easy it was for thieves to steal a $650 electronic without any security defaults in place before this.

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ

Since when do you need an apple ID to DFU restore a phone?

That security measure makes no sense to me.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
It has always been like this. You've always had to place a valid SIM inside of the phone and go through Apple's activation process whenever a device is freshly installed.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

That security measure makes no sense to me.

To DFU restore, you don't need an apple id. But you need the apple id to activate the device

Without the device activated, you can not use it. You're confusing restoring and activating

Every time you restore a device, you need to either plug it into iTunes or connect to wifi to activate the device before continuing to the other questions before you reach the home screen

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

You cannot downgrade OS with Apple devices. Also, you have to be logged into the phone to perform any action with it. Without the owner's iTunes account ID/Pass the phone is a paperweight.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

The actual lock is on apple's servers, so they would have to be in DFU and have a firmware that somehow removes the activation step, which I don't think exists

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
That is a temporary situation. You did that during 7 beta. Now that the actual OS7 is out, Apple will shut off iOS6 validation.

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
That is a temporary situation. You did that during 7 beta. Now that the actual OS7 is out, Apple will shut off iOS6 validation.

Even if you COULD downgrade to iOS 6, it would not activate the phone because the server would not activate the phone. It would ask for you to put in the Apple ID and password right before the activation step in iOS 6. Many of us beta testers tried this out and were unable to bypass activation lock. I had a few of my techie friends try and they were unable to bypass this because activation is ALWAYS required on an iPhone. A brilliant theft deterrent if you ask me.

EDIT: This applies to iPhones/iPads that have the "find my iphone" function turned on, if you disable find my iPhone before the DFU wipe, then it will not ask for ID and password. I just hope all those people that sell their device remember to turn off this feature before selling, otherwise the buyer will have a brick.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Even if you COULD downgrade to iOS 6, it would not activate the phone because the server would not activate the phone. It would ask for you to put in the Apple ID and password right before the activation step in iOS 6. Many of us beta testers tried this out and were unable to bypass activation lock. I had a few of my techie friends try and they were unable to bypass this because activation is ALWAYS required on an iPhone. A brilliant theft deterrent if you ask me.

EDIT: This applies to iPhones/iPads that have the "find my iphone" function turned on, if you disable find my iPhone before the DFU wipe, then it will not ask for ID and password. I just hope all those people that sell their device remember to turn off this feature before selling, otherwise the buyer will have a brick.

All a seller needs to do is "Erase All Content & Settings"

Before the device will erase, it will prompt you for the ID and Password. At that point, Find My iPhone (activation lock) is disabled.

My point is, even if they forget to "Disable" this feature, as long as they erase it, they will be prompted to automatically.

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
All a seller needs to do is "Erase All Content & Settings"

Before the device will erase, it will prompt you for the ID and Password. At that point, Find My iPhone (activation lock) is disabled.

My point is, even if they forget to "Disable" this feature, as long as they erase it, they will be prompted to automatically.

Makes sense.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

people who had the beta said that to downgrade you had to have a new version of itunes which would verify the apple ID in itunes before activating the phone.

----------

i was going to create a dummy itunes account, set up the phone under it and give the credentials to the buyer

Ibtihaj

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2014

I have bought an iphone 4 feom olx. The buyer cheated me. I somehow managed to delete his icloud account. But when i connect phone to itunes it asks for id & passwrod. Should i restore it by entering in DFU mode? Or should continue using as an iPod?? Tell me please! I shall be very thankful.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I have bought an iphone 4 feom olx. The buyer cheated me. I somehow managed to delete his icloud account. But when i connect phone to itunes it asks for id & passwrod. Should i restore it by entering in DFU mode? Or should continue using as an iPod?? Tell me please! I shall be very thankful.
You should contact the seller and ask them to sign into their online icloud account and erase then remove the device you purchased.

If you 'enter DFU mode' you will completely wipe the device, protecting the seller. You will not be able to get pass the activation setup screen. Language->WiFi->Activation. Here you will have to enter the sellers userID and password to continue.

If the seller does not want to help you, contact the police and or a lawyer for breech of contract and possible/probably fencing to remove you from the theft loop.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

DFU mode won't bypass the activation lock. Without the owner deactivating it, you cannot do anything. The problem is the seller may not be the owner.

Ibtihaj

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2014
DFU mode won't bypass the activation lock. Without the owner deactivating it, you cannot do anything. The problem is the seller may not be the owner.

I turned of "find my phone". Its running my iCloud account now. Still i cant setup a new iphone? Beacuse i cant contact the seller now :(

----------

You should contact the seller and ask them to sign into their online icloud account and erase then remove the device you purchased.

If you 'enter DFU mode' you will completely wipe the device, protecting the seller. You will not be able to get pass the activation setup screen. Language->WiFi->Activation. Here you will have to enter the sellers userID and password to continue.

If the seller does not want to help you, contact the police and or a lawyer for breech of contract and possible/probably fencing to remove you from the theft loop.
Thank you :) but i turned off “Find my Phone” still it will ask me to register? I mean read the comment above its mentioned that i can. I M just confirming :)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1639658/

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I turned of "find my phone". Its running my iCloud account now. Still i cant setup a new iphone? Beacuse i cant contact the seller now :(

----------

Thank you :) but i turned off “Find my Phone” still it will ask me to register? I mean read the comment above its mentioned that i can. I M just confirming :)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1639658/

How did you turn off "Find my Phone" if it is asking you to register.

No matter what you MUST have the original owners user name and password to get around the lock. If there were a way around it, the whole thing would serve no purpose!

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
How did you turn off "Find my Phone" if it is asking you to register.

No matter what you MUST have the original owners user name and password to get around the lock. If there were a way around it, the whole thing would serve no purpose!

http://youtu.be/EID-QvCJZ_c

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
So glad that Apple came out with activation lock. Hopefully it will curb the iPhone thefts greatly. Can't believe how easy it was for thieves to steal a $650 electronic without any security defaults in place before this.

Yes, I'm really glad they did this.

Considering the price and how much information is stored on smartphones today killswitch as well as a very secure passlock is a must.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

They could try but since the iPhone has to activated under the original owner's iCloud account it would be impossible for them to do anything with it... that's if they don't know the person's iCloud account information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.