Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Hi,

Ive just upgraded my new Mac Mini to 8GB Ram and a 256Gb Crucial MX100 SSD. Does Mavericks support trim and is it enabled by default? If not do i need it? If so how do i do it?

Matt

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Hi,

Ive just upgraded my new Mac Mini to 8GB Ram and a 256Gb Crucial MX100 SSD. Does Mavericks support trim and is it enabled by default? If not do i need it? If so how do i do it?

Matt

On Mavericks, TRIM is not enabled by default on 3rd party SSD's. You will have to get some software such as TrimEnabler to turn it on.

Just not on Yosemite (as of DP3) as it causes a boot crash.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
On Mavericks, TRIM is not enabled by default on 3rd party SSD's. You will have to get some software such as TrimEnabler to turn it on.

Just not on Yosemite (as of DP3) as it causes a boot crash.

Hi,

Thanks for that , just bought it , restarted and it is a little quicker in benchmarks too..

Before Trim: 499 Read, 320 Write
Now: 510 Read , 332 Write

:cool:

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for that , just bought it , restarted and it is a little quicker in benchmarks too..

Before Trim: 499 Read, 320 Write
Now: 510 Read , 332 Write

:cool:

TRIM isn't only about speed, its also about how the OS writes blocks of data and how to handle those blocks of data. Simply put, TRIM keeps those blocks of data organized, which extends the life of the SSD. Requirement for 3rd party SSD installs if you ask me.

Just remember if you happen to load Windows 7 through Bootcamp, check to see if Windows 7 enables TRIM also. Google TRIM on Windows 7 for a quick easy way to check it, and enable if needed.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
TRIM isn't only about speed, its also about how the OS writes blocks of data and how to handle those blocks of data. Simply put, TRIM keeps those blocks of data organized, which extends the life of the SSD. Requirement for 3rd party SSD installs if you ask me.

Just remember if you happen to load Windows 7 through Bootcamp, check to see if Windows 7 enables TRIM also. Google TRIM on Windows 7 for a quick easy way to check it, and enable if needed.

Not entirely true. All TRIM does is notify the SSD what blocks are no longer in use and to wipe them.

What you were saying was more along the lines of wear leveling. Which SSDs do on their own (well good ones which the Crucial MX does). You do not really need TRIM in most cases. I have used a Samsung 840 Pro and a Crucial M4 without TRIM. I have not had any issues.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ What you were saying was more along the lines of wear leveling. Which SSDs do on their own (well good ones which the Crucial MX does). You do not really need TRIM in most cases. I have used a Samsung 840 Pro and a Crucial M4 without TRIM. I have not had any issues. ]]

As a side-note, I have an Intel 530 series SSD installed in an April 2010 MacBook Pro (which runs like lightning since I put it in).

I've tried a couple of 3rd-party TRIM-enabling apps to see if I could enable TRIM.

The Intel drive will not accept the commands. Looks to me like it doesn't need or want TRIM, and the drive's controller is rejecting or otherwise ignoring the attempt to install/activate it.

I'm wondering if the most-recent SSD drive technology and controllers are being designed or modified in ways to make TRIM redundant or un-necessary...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
TRIM is not a must for SSD, however, no SSD can run better without TRIM (especially in long term). And TRIM won't hurt your SSD anyway.

There are few SSD manufactures said that their SSD don't need TRIM. Yes, they are correct. As I said, TRIM is not necessary for most modern SSD. However, none of them can prove that their SSD can run better without TRIM in both short term and long term.

As far as I know, there is no hardware controller at this moment can replace TRIM, and effectively reduce the write cycle during GC operation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.