Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today expanded its two-step verification feature for Apple IDs to 48 additional countries, bringing the total number of countries able to access two-step authentication to 59.

Initially noticed by 9to5Mac new countries receiving the feature include China, France, India, Japan, Korea, South Africa, Thailand, Switzerland, and many more across Asia, South America, and Europe.

twostepverification.jpg
First launched in March of 2013, two-step verification is designed to provide Apple users with an extra layer of protection through the use of a trusted device and a security code for their Apple IDs. Two-step verification was initially limited to users in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand, and expanded to several additional countries later in 2013.

Two-step verification may also be applied to iCloud.com in the future, in addition to Apple IDs. Apple's two-step verification support page has a full list of countries that are able to access the feature.

Article Link: Apple ID Two-Step Verification Now Available in 59 Countries

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Apple today expanded its two-step verification feature for Apple IDs to 48 additional countries, bringing the total number of countries able to access two-step authentication to 59.

So they went from 11 to 59? Boy, that escalated quickly.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Apple's KB article currently still only lists the 11 countries.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
oh dear dont let my family find this option. they have enough problems with remembering logins as it is ^^ "for example:

whats an apple id?" MY PASSWORD DOESNT WORK!!! - did u enter your gmail email login again? YES WHY NOT

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
Why don't they also support the Authenticator Apps like Google, Microsoft, Dropbox, Facebook, and a multitude of other sites support.

Only sending the code via SMS seems incredibly backwards and only ends up limiting it's effectiveness, you can't receive it when outside mobile coverage for example, and most importantly having the option of using the Authenticator App does not prevent them from using the SMS method at all.

Basically they should just plain straight up copy the Google 2 step verification system, get it into the hands of whoever wants it with no barrier to entry, with a robust offline generator.

This is for security it shouldn't be artificially handicapped.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Apple's KB article currently still only lists the 11 countries.

Should be updated for you soon -- sometimes it takes a bit for the updated page to propagate to all users.

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I prefer the Google Authenticator that is a separate App that can generate the codes without having to have any access to Internet or cellular network.

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
they don't mention that they already expanded it once but they came back from that deciscion a few days later ( a few european countries were supposedly able to activate it too)

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Why not use Authy which also is free and ten times better?

Because I didn't know it existed :) It looks like it would do what I need to do. I'm probably going to give it a try. Bottom line is that I believe it is better to have two factor authentication that doesn't depend on having access to network, so it can work even when traveling abroad with no service.

Let me guess, Authy doesn't work with Apple two-factor authentication, because Apple doesn't open this feature to external companies. It would be great if Apple allowed Authy to support this two factor authentication for AppleID

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Anyone that uses 2-step is nuts, because people are so prone to forgetting things that if you forget the key you lose all access to your data. This system is prone to forgetfulness and then people whinging and complaining they forgot their info.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Anyone that uses 2-step is nuts, because people are so prone to forgetting things that if you forget the key you lose all access to your data. This system is prone to forgetfulness and then people whinging and complaining they forgot their info.

You are clearly talking out the side of your ass. I doubt you understand how it even works. Try it first then comment. Additional security is always a good thing especially when folks have their credit cards and digital purchases tied to the account. To not use this free enhanced security is probably "nuts".

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

You have any idea how it works? You need 2 of the 3 things also to access this info.
1) your password
2) a trusted device (you can have more than 1 also)
3) the back up code that is given to you.

You are clearly talking out the side of your ass. I doubt you understand how it even works. Try it first then comment. Additional security is always a good thing especially when folks have their credit cards and digital purchases tied to the account. To not use this free enhanced security is probably "nuts".

I agree 100%. anyone that's offers this extra protection, I use it.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
You have any idea how it works? You need 2 of the 3 things also to access this info.
1) your password
2) a trusted device (you can have more than 1 also)
3) the back up code that is given to you.

I agree 100%. anyone that's offers this extra protection, I use it.

So if you forget the backup code your completely stuffed. There is no need for this. I don't use credit cards on my account. I may add it then remove it for a purchase, but I don't leave it linked to my account constantly. I have never had any security issues regarding my account because I use this method.

----------

Well if people are crazy enough leave their credit card details locked to their account on the hope its not compromised, that is their stupidity. Digital purchases are linked to you Apple ID email address, not the credit card itself.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
So if you forget the backup code your completely stuffed. There is no need for this. I don't use credit cards on my account. I may add it then remove it for a purchase, but I don't leave it linked to my account constantly. I have never had any security issues regarding my account because I use this method.

No, I said you need 2 of the 3 things. So you miss place your back up code, but still have your password to log in and a trusted divice, you are fine. And once you're in you can always make a new back up password. So you log in with your everyday password and then you get a second password sent to you. That's it. You only need the back up password if you either forget you password or lost a trusted divice (like your phone, and why I have my wife's cell number on this too). I keep all back up password in a safety deposit box.

If you don't like this, don't use it. It's this or remembering 3 questions to get into you account.

Last edited:

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Well if people are crazy enough leave their credit card details locked to their account on the hope its not compromised, that is their stupidity. Digital purchases are linked to you Apple ID email address, not the credit card itself.

Two Step Verification is for your Apple ID which in turn is linked to your digital purchases and credit card if you have one associated.

I suggest you actually use it before making uninformed narrow minded opinions about something you clearly don't understand. GMAIL, Outlook.com, and Yahoo all have two step verification as well.

Why someone would bitch about a FREE security feature that makes it really hard to hack your account is beyond me? Me personally, I want it standard across all accounts on all platforms and services.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Two Step Verification is for your Apple ID which in turn is linked to your digital purchases and credit card if you have one associated.

I suggest you actually use it before making uninformed narrow minded opinions about something you clearly don't understand. GMAIL, Outlook.com, and Yahoo all have two step verification as well.

Why someone would bitch about a FREE security feature that makes it really hard to hack your account is beyond me? Me personally, I want it standard across all accounts on all platforms and services.
And it's so easy to use. I am amazed how many people say it's an inconvenient to them.
I hope iCloud.com gets this soon too as well.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
And it's so easy to use. I am amazed how many people say it's an inconvenient to them.
I hope iCloud.com gets this soon too as well.

Agreed. If it's set up right, you won't notice it's there unless your account is hacked or you log into a new system that isn't one of your trusted devices.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis

I don't need or want two step verification. This is mainly because people are too damn forgetful, and don't keep records of this information. My account has never been hacked and never will be because I don't keep payment info on my account. The people that fall foul of these "phishing" scams deserve to be swindled.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Please, Apple, use an standard system not tied to SMS on compatible carriers

I don't need or want two step verification. This is mainly because people are too damn forgetful, and don't keep records of this information. My account has never been hacked and never will be because I don't keep payment info on my account. The people that fall foul of these "phishing" scams deserve to be swindled.

Still talking nonsense?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.