Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have a Samsung SE-506AB Slim Portable Blu-ray Writer and I am trying to burn one of my family videos from Adobe Encore CS6 both Image in Disk Utility and in Encore.

I have to keep disconnecting it and re-connect to my Mac. Every time I try to burn a DVD I get an error it couldn't be burned cos it could find it! I can see it in Disk Utility (well sometimes) I am using a DVD-RW instead of wasting DVD-R if the could come is bad.

Anyone else had this issue before ? Its driving me mad.:mad:

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have attach screenshot of the error i am getting

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 23.11.35.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 23.11.35.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 23.12.06.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 23.12.06.png
    211 KB · Views: 197

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
I have a Samsung blu ray drive too.
(not sure if its the same drive)
Not had disconnecting problem before.

Are you using a USB hub?
Does it required 2 x USB ports for extra power?
Dodgy drive?

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
Yeah It does require extra power. The power is in a USB hub, the USB is directly to the USB port of the Mac. I can read other DVD fine not just burning them.

EDIT: I have now moved/connect both USB to the iMac see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As a point of reference, I have the same Samsung drive as the OP does.

I use it with a late-2012 Mac Mini, connecting through a single USB cable (can't remember if it came with the drive or not).

With only the one cable (connected directly to the USB3 port on the Mini) it runs fine without a "Y-cable" for additional power. Reads and writes, no problems.

I would suggest that the OP try swapping out USB cables, also try swapping ports on the back of the iMac.

Also, be aware that OTHER USB DEVICES connected to the back of the iMac may reduce the amount of USB bus power available to the Samsung drive.

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
As a point of reference, I have the same Samsung drive as the OP does.

I use it with a late-2012 Mac Mini, connecting through a single USB cable (can't remember if it came with the drive or not).

With only the one cable (connected directly to the USB3 port on the Mini) it runs fine without a "Y-cable" for additional power. Reads and writes, no problems.

I would suggest that the OP try swapping out USB cables, also try swapping ports on the back of the iMac.

Also, be aware that OTHER USB DEVICES connected to the back of the iMac may reduce the amount of USB bus power available to the Samsung drive.

Found out it was a bad disc. I went out and got another set of DVD-RWs - so all good now thanks for all your inputs. The Drive should come with 2 cables both USB one for power and another for data.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ Found out it was a bad disc. I went out and got another set of DVD-RWs ]]

I wouldn't trust a "re-writable" DVD or BluRay disc from any manufacturer.

I -would- recommend that you consider using Verbatim media. No financial connection, but I can't recall ever having a burn "go bad" on me while using Verbatim. Any "failure" was due to something -I- did, not a problem with their media.

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
OP wrote above:
[[ Found out it was a bad disc. I went out and got another set of DVD-RWs ]]

I wouldn't trust a "re-writable" DVD or BluRay disc from any manufacturer.

I -would- recommend that you consider using Verbatim media. No financial connection, but I can't recall ever having a burn "go bad" on me while using Verbatim. Any "failure" was due to something -I- did, not a problem with their media.
Funny u say that it was a Verbatim disc. It was lots of scratches on it.

DeafRaiders

macrumors regular
Original poster
There is a disc in the drive now it not even detected.

Driving me mad:mad: It is powering on by USBNot shown up on my Mac at all when i press eject button drive or mac keyboard not even popping out. There is no software update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.