Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toroidal boat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
Is there a way to partition the disk that 10.3.9 runs on? Disk Utility doesn't let me do that by default because 10.3.9 is running on it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You cannot partition the startup disk in Panther. You must boot from another drive before you can partition it. Note: If you do partition it, it will erase the drive first.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Yeah, unfortunately, Tiger was the OS that introduced non-destructive disk partitioning. If you have a copy of the Tiger DVD, try booting to it and re-partitioning from Disk Utility? Backup first.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yeah, unfortunately, Tiger was the OS that introduced non-destructive disk partitioning. If you have a copy of the Tiger DVD, try booting to it and re-partitioning from Disk Utility? Backup first.

Only later versions of Tiger had it. I'm not sure if PowerPC Tiger ever supported it. I do know that if the drive has the OS 9 drivers installed on it, the entire hard drive must be erased before it can be repartitioned.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The procedure for partitioning in 10.3.9:

1. Backup the drive to be partitioned.
2. Boot from A DIFFERENT drive
3. Re-initialize and partition the "target drive"
4. Restore backups to it as necessary.

Aside:
10.3.9 is a good OS and I used it for years, "holding out" from upgrading any further.
But 10.4.x is a good upgrade, I discovered...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.