Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I would like to get either a good case or a case with keyboard for a gift for an iPad Mini (retina).

What do you folks recommend and why? The case is just a front and back not a fully closed type of case. Should be lightweight but sturdy.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
There are couple of iPad Mini cases that are designed for multipurpose. They can be used as a keyboard for easy typing. Along with that they are designed to be a stand for your iPad Mini as well protect your iPad very well.

Some of good alternatives keyboard cases are Belkin, Poetic, Anker and Logitech. These are the cases you should be looking forward to.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I use the Logitech one. Make sure you get the one made for retina as it allows for keyboard tilit, and places the home button in a more convenient location. The first gen keyboard has it where the ESC key has it, and the colours won't match your iPad anyways (assuming you have space grey).

Good build quality, takes a bit of adjustment when typing on a smaller keyboard, but it works well. Tip that worked for me, keep your pinky on the 'A' key to give you a frame of reference.

Used it extensively at a convention and it worked wonders.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

I don't have the New Trent keyboard for mini but I did buy the same one for the iPad Air (which is basically the same except for size) for my son-in-law and tried it out initially. The New Trent keyboard is really good if you are in the market for a very rugged and protective keyboard - can't beat it - especially for the price. It does give a totally heavier but virtually in-destructive feel to it.

However, if your style and preference is lightweight but less protective - the logitech is superb. I use the Logitech Ultra-thin keyboard cover for my daily use and I couldn't be happier. The Logitech in white exactly matches the white iPad. It is very responsive, super lightweight and provides a design that makes it super easy to just pick up the iPad from the keyboard and go.

Can't lose with either of these keyboards - just pick by your preference - lots of protection but heavier - or minimal protection but lightweight and pick up and go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.