Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
So, I'm trying to help my neighbor who bought an iPhone 4 on kijiji, it was supposed to be unlocked it's not it's sim locked to a unknown carrier

I checked the Canadian blacklisted site and it's not listed as a lost or stolen phone but I wasn't able to confirm the Sim lock until later on when we tried their prepaid Sim and it failed

luck not being on my side the seller has taken down the page on Kijiji so I can't contact them, they met at Tim Hortons and paid cash so yeah… :S

So I've got iPhone 4 running 7.1.2 that is sim locked that I want to unlock to use a prepaid Sim preferably for free but I think all carriers charge $50 to unlock

What do you recommend?
I was thinking jailbreak because I think they're still ways to software unlock rather than a factory unlock
but to jailbreak 7.1.2 I need to get past the setup screen which I can't seem to with the locked out Sim or simless

thanks

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
So, I'm trying to help my neighbor who bought an iPhone 4 on kijiji, it was supposed to be unlocked it's not it's sim locked to a unknown carrier

I checked the Canadian blacklisted site and it's not listed as a lost or stolen phone but I wasn't able to confirm the Sim lock until later on when we tried their prepaid Sim and it failed

luck not being on my side the seller has taken down the page on Kijiji so I can't contact them, they met at Tim Hortons and paid cash so yeah… :S

So I've got iPhone 4 running 7.1.2 that is sim locked that I want to unlock to use a prepaid Sim preferably for free but I think all carriers charge $50 to unlock

What do you recommend?
I was thinking jailbreak because I think they're still ways to software unlock rather than a factory unlock
but to jailbreak 7.1.2 I need to get past the setup screen which I can't seem to with the locked out Sim or simless

thanks

software unlocks haven't been a thing for at least 3 years now

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
software unlocks haven't been a thing for at least 3 years now

good to know lol makes me wonder why people post recent YouTube videos and such with old info and ambiguous titles

So then the only way to do it would be a factory unlock either paying some online "person/company" (don't know how they're able to unlock devices) or paying the carrier?
I'm assuming no one offers this for free?

Is there any way for me to determine what carrier it was locked to?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
good to know lol makes me wonder why people post recent YouTube videos and such with old info and ambiguous titles

So then the only way to do it would be a factory unlock either paying some online "person/company" (don't know how they're able to unlock devices) or paying the carrier?
I'm assuming no one offers this for free?

Is there any way for me to determine what carrier it was locked to?

i don't know much about the grey market unlocking business

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.