Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

she1231

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2014
Hi, I just installed parallels on my air because I need to use some windows application. However, when I removed my external CD drive, it showed me a message saying that the CD is missing and cannot run windows. Do I need to use my windows installation CD everytime I run parallels?

Also, does anyone know if the programs on windows would take up a lot of space on my mac (since i installed it on a virtual machine instead of on the hard drive like what happens with boot camp)?

Thanks!

yey365

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2004
Re: Parallels installed on Air

Did you finish the Windows install (i.e. had you booted to the desktop and the whole process was finished, or was it still running the customisation at the end of the install)? Sound like the install was not completed.

The virtual will take more space to dynamically grow the disk as programs are installed, unless you created a fixed disk in setup in which case whatever size you created is taken from the available space on the disk (internal SSD or external USB drive).

she1231

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2014
Re: Parallels installed on Air

thanks yey365 for your reply.

How can i create a fix disk in setup? I do not want it to take up so much of my internal hard disk. If I create a fix disk in setup, do i need to bring a usb (or whatever i use to store the program) everytime I want to run windows?

Danielm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2014
thanks yey365 for your reply.

How can i create a fix disk in setup? I do not want it to take up so much of my internal hard disk. If I create a fix disk in setup, do i need to bring a usb (or whatever i use to store the program) everytime I want to run windows?

Hi,

Just for info, I have the folder '' Parallels'' (all the virtual machine (65GB)) on PNY StorEDGE 128GB. So each time I use Windows, my 128 GB of my Air SSD is free of that. Sure it is with Parallels Desktop. I don't know others procedures.
But may be you have 11' so the SD card reader is not there.

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
Yeah - sounds like the installation wasn't complete.

Regarding space, you can set the max size of the virtual disk so it can never exceed a certain amount. For me, I allow ~30GB. I have all my music, pictures, and documents/other things in Google Music, Google+ Web Albums, and Google Drive respectively, so I don't have hardly anything other than applications and a Parallels Windows 8.1 VMDK on the machine.

You can always move it to an external drive and run it from there if space is an issue.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hi, I just installed parallels on my air because I need to use some windows application. However, when I removed my external CD drive, it showed me a message saying that the CD is missing and cannot run windows. Do I need to use my windows installation CD everytime I run parallels?

Also, does anyone know if the programs on windows would take up a lot of space on my mac (since i installed it on a virtual machine instead of on the hard drive like what happens with boot camp)?

Thanks!

I don't think your CD issue is a problem. Go to Virtual Machine>Configure>Hardware>CD/DVD 1. Unlock the settings and select another option than the Win Setup CD e.g. Default CD/DVD.

If you have a drive space problem then there is a setting to reclaim unused drive space available in Virtual Machine>Reclaim Disk Space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.