Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
What is VPN? I never understood it.

In short: have a secure network over an insecure network. Sure, you could also other ways like SSH, but VPN is relative transparent for the user and applications.
I have a IPSec-VPN gateway at home so i can easy access from anywhere to my server at home.

To OP: I use FreeBSD based distribution called: pfSense. https://www.pfsense.org. It contains the required IPSec server components and use iDevices with the build-in VPN client.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
commonly used by those bastard file sharing people...

Basically take for example a VPN provider like PIA....You will have an icon in your windows taskbar tray that if you right click will give the option to enable or disable the VPN service.. When enabled you also get a drop down of countries that you would like to choose from to show where your IP is/where you are connecting from...Then this same IP is shared by 100's or 1000's of other people.

So basically I am in USA, but i can show my IP and location as being pretty much anywhere in the world.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Why would anyone need vpn to share files? Most file sharers do not as targeting for this is VERY rare..

Commonly used by people outside of the us to try and get their money's worth. For example netflix mexico sucks but costs the same as those that get netflix usa, with vpn you can get netflix usa. I would say changing one's ip to the us is the biggest use.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Why would anyone need vpn to share files? Most file sharers do not as targeting for this is VERY rare..

Commonly used by people outside of the us to try and get their money's worth. For example netflix mexico sucks but costs the same as those that get netflix usa, with vpn you can get netflix usa. I would say changing one's ip to the us is the biggest use.

wrong..there are people everyday getting copyright infringement notices from comcast/time warner and other providers because of there illegally download music, software or movies. The VPN is a work around for this..

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
commonly used by those bastard file sharing people...

Basically take for example a VPN provider like PIA....You will have an icon in your windows taskbar tray that if you right click will give the option to enable or disable the VPN service.. When enabled you also get a drop down of countries that you would like to choose from to show where your IP is/where you are connecting from...Then this same IP is shared by 100's or 1000's of other people.

So basically I am in USA, but i can show my IP and location as being pretty much anywhere in the world.

Commonly used by corporate road warriors, to securely link back to company network.

Or people who want to VPN back into their home on the go, so they can do things securely from public wifi.

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
I have a Cisco ASA at home with an AnyConnect license. I use that to tunnel via IPSec or SSL (if the former is blocked) whenever I use my laptop, iPads or phone on public wifi. All my traffic is encrypted back home before it goes out to the internet.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
i need to use it to get my songza and netflix account to work on my iphone while i'm stuck here in australia. I'm going back home to NYC in december or march so just a work around until im back on US soil.

chain94

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.