Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tcc1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
for you tech savy android users.does your android device perform a smooth consistency of (60 fps) throughout the whole gui/ui in android within daily usage? im new to google/android im needing that ios 6 smoothness without going the old"iphone" route.yes I know no os is perfect btw I don't pefer touchwiz only like pure android or atleast close to stock.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
for you tech savy android users.does your android device perform a smooth consistency of (60 fps) throughout the whole gui/ui in android within daily usage? im new to google/android im needing that ios 6 smoothness without going the old"iphone" route.yes I know no os is perfect btw I don't pefer touchwiz only like pure android or atleast close to stock.

Pure android is the smoothest iteration of the os. Refinement is coming with Android L to mirror iOS smoothness, but with their own interpretation on a similar design philosophy. IME, Nexus devices are the smoothest with HTC right after.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
A lot of it depends on the device, kernel and its settings. On a custom ROM running Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4, with the KTKernel if I set the wrong setting then it can be laggy at times but usually then has superior battery life. I felt the latest versions of TouchWiz run pretty well too actually.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
HTC Sense 6 on the M8 is extremely fast and smooth throughout its GUI - indeed animation speed is faster than stock androids default.

Both it and stock android (on flagship devices) is very fast and smooth.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
My cheap Moto G ( 4.4.3 ) is like butter!! I also turned on developer tools and sped up the animation by 50% and it's extremely fast.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
My Motorola Droid Maxx which ran pretty much stock 4.4 was very smooth and quick. My new LG G3 which runs the new Optimus UI is also very smooth and even faster then the Maxx, but then again it does have a lot more horsepower under the cover. I've been happy with Android speed and smoothness since 4.0 was released. Before that it was a bit of hit and miss.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Pure android is the smoothest iteration of the os. Refinement is coming with Android L to mirror iOS smoothness, but with their own interpretation on a similar design philosophy. IME, Nexus devices are the smoothest with HTC right after.
+1 on stock Android being smoothest. That said, imho the newer Motorola devices such as the Moto G and Moto X are pretty on par with Nexus devices running similar hardware when it comes to fluidity. Actually, I've found the Moto G to be even less laggy than the Nexus 7 (2012).

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
+1 on stock Android being smoothest. That said, imho the newer Motorola devices such as the Moto G and Moto X are pretty on par with Nexus devices running similar hardware when it comes to fluidity. Actually, I've found the Moto G to be even less laggy than the Nexus 7 (2012).

the 2012 Nexus 7 is unusable for me. I have high standards maybe, but I cannot stand using that device. Passed it off to my girlfriend.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
M8 with sense faster than stock? What do you base this on?

I based this on a M8 running directly next to my Google Play Edition S4....

Forgetting app launch speed, just concentrating on GUI interface browsing / animations etc.. The M8 is faster. This applies to going between pages, going in and out of app drawer etc ... The animations and fluidity is faster on the M8. Sure you can speed up stock android going into developer options and changing animations to x0.5 but the point remains at default the M8 Sense 6 GUI navigation / animations is faster.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Forgetting app launch speed, just concentrating on GUI interface browsing / animations etc.. The M8 is faster. This applies to going between pages, going in and out of app drawer etc ... The animations and fluidity is faster on the M8. Sure you can speed up stock android going into developer options and changing animations to x0.5 but the point remains at default the M8 Sense 6 GUI navigation / animations is faster.

I agree the M8 and Sense 6 is extremely well optimized and fast. I wonder what the difference would be side by side with the S5 GPE (doesn't exist yet) because the S4 is over a year old now.....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I agree the M8 and Sense 6 is extremely well optimized and fast. I wonder what the difference would be side by side with the S5 GPE (doesn't exist yet) because the S4 is over a year old now.....

Animation speed is likely the same .... Certainly app launching would be much faster on the S5, but general UI navigation is a set default stock speed.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Google play edition s4 is not stock... It is still using the touchwiz framework underneath the stock look (which is still badly bloated)...plus you're comparing a snapdragon 801 to a 600 with lesser gpu

You should compare the m8 to a nexus 5 for a better comparison.... Or run cyanogen on the s4.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Google play edition s4 is not stock... It is still using the touchwiz framework underneath the stock look (which is still badly bloated)...plus you're comparing a snapdragon 801 to a 600 with lesser gpu

You should compare the m8 to a nexus 5 for a better comparison.... Or run cyanogen on the s4.

Fine if that's what you think, I'll compare it to my one plus one very shortly ..... Also stock speed of the animations doesn't change with processor. It just sounds like you simply do not like the fact I found the M8 GUI faster than stock.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Fine if that's what you think, I'll compare it to my one plus one very shortly ..... Also stock speed of the animations doesn't change with processor. It just sounds like you simply do not like the fact I found the M8 GUI faster than stock.

The Galaxy S4 GPE *is not stock Android* in the sense that it is not AOSP and still contains Samsung junk.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
The Galaxy S4 GPE *is not stock Android* in the sense that it is not AOSP and still contains Samsung junk.

I have never bought or used a GPe device, so I plead ignorance here, but I thought GPe devices were vanilla stock Android? In the case of the Galaxy S versions, no Touchwiz, no UI enhancements (i.e. split screen/PIE selection tool/picture in picture), stock Android camera API, etc?? Is this not the case? If not, I thought the whole point of GPe was to marry stock Android with great hardware?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I have never bought or used a GPe device, so I plead ignorance here, but I thought GPe devices were vanilla stock Android? In the case of the Galaxy S versions, no Touchwiz, no UI enhancements (i.e. split screen/PIE selection tool/picture in picture), stock Android camera API, etc?? Is this not the case? If not, I thought the whole point of GPe was to marry stock Android with great hardware?

As far as the user goes it appears to be stock Android.... underneath though it is a Samsung kernel, Samsung drivers and significant portions of the touchwiz framework remain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.