Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it will hold its eighth month-long iTunes Festival in London this year, featuring 30 nights of concerts at The Roundhouse throughout September. Artists set to perform at this year's iTunes Festival include Maroon 5, Pharrell Williams, Beck, David Guetta, Calvin Harris, and more.

itunesfestival2014-800x301.jpg
"The iTunes Festival in London is back with another stunning line-up of world class performers and tremendous new acts," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "These live shows capture the heart and soul of iTunes and we love bringing them to our customers in the Roundhouse, as well as to the millions of people watching all over the world for free."
As with past years, free tickets for the concerts will be avaliable through iTunes in a lottery system. The iTunes Festival will also be broadcast via Apple TV, iOS app, and the iTunes desktop application.

The 8th annual iTunes Festival follows the first U.S. iTunes Festival at South by Southwest (SXSW) this past March, which was held at the Moody Theater. The iTunes Festival in London last year featured performances from a number of artists including Justin Timberlake, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Jack Johnson, and Jessie J.

Article Link: Apple Announces 8th Annual iTunes Festival in London Scheduled for September

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
London?

While this is great for people in the UK, Ireland, and France...
...it would be nice if Apple were to show the Silicon Valley some live music love.

After all, they're causing horrible jams on Wolfe these days with construction!

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
...it would be nice if Apple were to show the Silicon Valley some live music love.

U.S. got it's first iTunes Festival this year at SXSW, I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes their annual venue. Festival of the arts, much more suitable than self-serving Silicon Valley.

alohamade

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Eight months long! That's quite a concert series!

Oh. It's Apple's eighth month-long concert series you say?

I don't think anyone would have eyes wide open enough to last eight straight months at a series of concerts...thanks for noticing the error! It's fixed now.

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I hope there's a few 'heavier' bands lined up. Really loved the Linkin Park set a few years back.
Kasabian's not a bad shout as a starter for ten

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Apple blew their domestic show budget at WWDC14 with a lot of venues getting bank. The Yerba Buena Gardens concert with Bastille playing was great.

Let the locals bitch about the traffic jams at Wolfe. They will shut up quick when it is done and their property values skyrocket.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Is that Blondie as in Debbie Harry? I know she's old now but I really would have loved to have seen her live back in her prime..... That's what I get for still being young. ;) I can all ready imagine a much older crowd during their performance if it is indeed them. :D

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing Calvin Harris and David Guetta. I listen to a lot more electronica these days than I do anything else. I watched the Calvin Harris set when he performed at the 2012 iTunes Festival and saw him live at EDC Las Vegas about a month ago, played the familiar stuff, hopefully he has something new at this year's festival.

Whitelobster

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Wow!

With an irrelevant and boring line-up like this, I don't feel bad about not being able to attend. Not even sprinkled with a dab of nuance. Perfect.

Inoffensive and bland, like chili made for patients recovering from surgery.

Thanks, Apple!

Whitelobster

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Yeah, it does seem rather bland and boring. I'm not feeling left out seeing that line up.

Granted, I know they're not in the business of starting the next Lollapalooza, but if Apple is going to continue down this music path, they should innovate their playlist instead of focusing on top 40.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
With an irrelevant and boring line-up like this, I don't feel bad about not being able to attend. Not even sprinkled with a dab of nuance. Perfect.

Inoffensive and bland, like chili made for patients recovering from surgery.

Thanks, Apple!

I know, right? What, NO Zeppelin, Jay Z, Gaga, Stones, Beatles, Springsteen, Floyd, BOC, Radiohead, Kanye...?

Jeez, get it together Apple.

Whitelobster

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
I know, right? What, NO Zeppelin, Jay Z, Gaga, Stones, Beatles, Springsteen, Floyd, BOC, Radiohead, Kanye...?

Jeez, get it together Apple.

Huh? Are you trying to be sarcastic? Like that list disproves my point? I'm MORE disgusted that you put ****ing Gaga and Kanye in the same sentence as Radiohead, Floyd, the Stones, and Beatles. You must be deaf.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
That band lineup actually makes me glad it's not happening in my country.

digi999

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2014
Granted, I know they're not in the business of starting the next Lollapalooza, but if Apple is going to continue down this music path, they should innovate their playlist instead of focusing on top 40.

Yes, they should clearly not pick bands people listen to and, instead, pick ones people have never heard of. That's totally the way to get people to go to your show. :rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
From that list of artists it looks like London's been punked. A moribund group of no-talents currents and talented has-beens.

Blondie, Hynde (Pretenders, not solo), and Plant (Zep and solo, I'll toss in Honeydrippers as a novelty) were great in the 70s/80s but it's 2014. They are not the musicians they were back then. I have a lot of their older stuff, still listen to it, but would not want to see them live today. It would ruin all my good memories.

Beck has *some* great stuff, though he's generally overrated because of it. All the mediocre and awful stuff gets a pass.

But the bottom line here is when Moron 5 is the headliner you know you've got a stinker on your hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.