Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your favorite iPod Classic?

• 1G

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • 1G (revision)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 2G

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 3G

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • 3G (first revision)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3G (second revision)

• 4G

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • 4G iPod Photo

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 4G iPod Photo (revision)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4G iPod with color display

• 5G aka "iPod Video"

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • 5G (revision) aka "iPod Video 5.5G"

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • 6G iPod Classic

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • 6G iPod Classic (first revision)

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • 6G iPod Classic (second revision)

Votes: 15 17.2%

• Total voters

X Cruz 187

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
I too have a 3,4 & 5

I'm referring to the main lineup (including the very first iPod, the 4th gen iPod Photo, etc.), and not just the ones that Apple explicitly called "Classic".

Honestly I'm getting tired of the limited space in my iPhone and modern iPods. And considering also how Jonathan Ive killed the iPhone and the iPod Touch as dedicated music devices, I'm seriously planning to buy an old-school 80 GB model or bigger. Also there are lots of things that can be done on those little babies! Installing a bigger hard disk, an SSD, a Bluetooth receptor, etc.

Anyway. Which one do you think was the best generation and WHY?

I agree, I disagree with apple crippling their products with small HDD, 16 GB iPad is freakin' crazy. The iOS takes up 5 GB's so they should market it @ 13 GB's

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
For me, the 3rd gen had the best design. And backlit controls! :cool:

It was a great design but ruined by crappy battery life, it wouldn't even last a full working day before running out of juice.

My favourite is my 160GB classic. It's the fat first generation model but has amazing battery life, it got between 50-60 hours when new and it still gets over 40 hours between charges even though it's 7 years old in September.

The practicality of a big HD and long battery life wins it for me. :)

Last edited:

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
They All Good

Have not met an iPod Classic that I did not like.
The change in generations is just like watching the kids grow up.
Good memories all around.
:):apple:

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
I've always liked the iPod Video. I'd like to get my hands on one some day, I probably will if my current Nano ever bites the dust.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
My 2007 160GB Classic is still going strong after all these years. I use it a lot and the battery still lasts for weeks and charges fast. The day they announce the end of the Classic I'll be buying another (or two!).

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
I love my Classic and thick 5.5G to death, but I think my favorite is actually the 3rd gen. My cousin still has one in use and I just love the red backlit touch buttons. It's unique.

Although I'm a massive fan of the 1 and 2G (having had a 2G since new), the 3G is just such a fabulous design. Definitely my favourite too.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Quick question: could it be possible to change the hard disk on any old iPod (say 3rd or 5th gen) and put an 80 GB drive (or something bigger) instead?

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
Quick question: could it be possible to change the hard disk on any old iPod (say 3rd or 5th gen) and put an 80 GB drive (or something bigger) instead?

Yep. My experience is with the 5 and 5.5. I own a 240gb 5th gen that started life as an 80gb. The 30gb models can go only as high as 120gb. If memory serves the 240 I have is a Samsung. Or a Toshiba.

Last edited:

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Yep. My experience is with the 5 and 5.5. I own a 240gb 5th gen that started life as an 80gb. The 30gb models can go only as high as 120gb. If memory serves the 240 I have is a Samsung. Or a Toshiba.

Good to know. Did you do it by yourself or recurred to some established seller?

It would be great if something like that could be done to older models though. I'm really loving the third generation with its backlit buttons, but with the stock capacity it would be more like a collector's item or a hipster thing rather than a useful music player.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
Good to know. Did you do it by yourself or recurred to some established seller?

It would be great if something like that could be done to older models though. I'm really loving the third generation with its backlit buttons, but with the stock capacity it would be more like a collector's item or a hipster thing rather than a useful music player.

I sent my old 5th gen 80 gig to Rapid Repair. They offer a one year warranty but I didn't need it. They can also put a 240 in a "7th generation" Classic.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I sent my old 5th gen 80 gig to Rapid Repair. They offer a one year warranty but I didn't need it. They can also put a 240 in a "7th generation" Classic.

Good to know, though I don't like the latest generations as much as I do those old classic plastic iPods.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
6th gen 80gb. It was a Christmas gift in 2007 :) It was also my first iPod after my 1st gen Shuffle (512mb! It was awesome in 2005). The 6G still comes out when I want to listen to stuff that isn't on my iPhone or I'm on a road trip (hook it up via iTrip; it's like I'm back in 2007!). Unfortunately the Shuffle disappeared when I moved to college. It's probably in a box somewhere, but I haven't come across it in a while. I might even have the original box! I know I have the earbuds still, but one side stopped working after a year. Same with the ones that came with my 6G. Only the EarPods from my iPhone 5 are still good thanks to the little case thing.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
That one was the worst. The buttons nevered worked, and you can forget about using them in cold weather!

iPod video was my favorite. That sexy edge on the front.

I only owned that and the Video of the classics. My buttons worked fine? Its hard drive and battery started failing three years later though.

I liked my Video, but I sold it when I had to buy the iPhone 4. I'd definitely love another one of those too.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
That one was the worst. The buttons nevered worked, and you can forget about using them in cold weather!

iPod video was my favorite. That sexy edge on the front.

What about its edge?

WhiteyFisk

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
Michigan
As the owner of both a 4th and 5th gen, I have to say I honestly like the older model better. It is significantly faster, has a quieter HDD, is easier to operate without looking at it (due to the raised center button on the click wheel), is more visually and ergonomically pleasing with its rounded corners, and just generally feels tougher and more robust than the 5th gen due to its heavier, chunkier size. Plus, it is the last classic iPod to have the option of a FireWire connection, which is important to someone like me who is still using a G4 iBook as a "daily driver."

The only thing the 5th gen really has going for it IMO is the video/TV out capability. In fact, that's the only thing mine is used for anymore - I keep it loaded with movies and TV shows, and it stays more or less permanently docked to my big screen CRT TV - a nice workaround since I have a large digital media library but no TV compatible with the ATV.

I'd love to get my hands on an aluminum-bodied Classic before they stop making them, but between the two I already own, I just can't justify it.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
As the owner of both a 4th and 5th gen, I have to say I honestly like the older model better. It is significantly faster, has a quieter HDD, is easier to operate without looking at it (due to the raised center button on the click wheel), is more visually and ergonomically pleasing with its rounded corners, and just generally feels tougher and more robust than the 5th gen due to its heavier, chunkier size. Plus, it is the last classic iPod to have the option of a FireWire connection, which is important to someone like me who is still using a G4 iBook as a "daily driver."

The only thing the 5th gen really has going for it IMO is the video/TV out capability. In fact, that's the only thing mine is used for anymore - I keep it loaded with movies and TV shows, and it stays more or less permanently docked to my big screen CRT TV - a nice workaround since I have a large digital media library but no TV compatible with the ATV.

I'd love to get my hands on an aluminum-bodied Classic before they stop making them, but between the two I already own, I just can't justify it.

Well, if you really want to buy that iPod Classic before it's too late, you can always sell your iPod Video. However, IMHO, there's nothing that really makes the latest generations superior to the iPod 4G and 5G, specially when it comes to aesthetics and ease to use.

Regarding your comparison between these two iPods, I don't think the 5G was slow or something. I used one for a couple of years and never complained. On the other hand, I think it's always better to have a thinner and lighter device, specially if one is pretending to carry it in a pocket. :D

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
ive only used a 120GB 6th gen. i loved it, but im really hoping i can get my 3rd gen 20GB up and running soon. i need a firewire cable and a new headphone jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.