Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I like DropBox a lot and I have more than 100GB on it, but as soon as iCloud drive becomes available, I am switching to it. Hopefully Apple doesn't blow it with iCloud drive.
The level of integration is what I want to have and the 100€ I am paying for Dropbox now will get me a lot more iCloud storage.
iCloud drive will also be available on Windows, so cross platform compatibility is also covered, in the rare case I need to work on a Windows computer...
All of the apps I use save their data on iCloud, or have the option to do so, and I have no app that works only with Dropbox.
After watching the WWDC keynote one thing was clear to me: The Apple ecosystem will get even stronger, much stronger than before. I don't see me getting out of it in the next 10 years...

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I like DropBox a lot and I have more than 100GB on it, but as soon as iCloud drive becomes available, I am switching to it. Hopefully Apple doesn't blow it with iCloud drive.
The level of integration is what I want to have and the 100€ I am paying for Dropbox now will get me a lot more iCloud storage.
iCloud drive will also be available on Windows, so cross platform compatibility is also covered, in the rare case I need to work on a Windows computer...
All of the apps I use save their data on iCloud, or have the option to do so, and I have no app that works only with Dropbox.
After watching the WWDC keynote one thing was clear to me: The Apple ecosystem will get even stronger, much stronger than before. I don't see me getting out of it in the next 10 years...

yep, I am the same. Current Dropbox user. Tried out others and just can't leave DB. After seeing the keynote though for such a small price and Apple integration I will likely move to iCloud. Finally iCloud is useful!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I'm hoping it won't be a repeat of the iDrive which was painfully slow. For my needs, I have 145GB of OneDrive storage and that's more then enough for me. (25GB free, 20 Office 365 and 100 from bing rewards) I know OneDrive is not for everyone but I like it and it works for me.

Sadly Apple's apps that compete with Office are not up to snuff, they lack the features so adding an increased integration of iCloud does not help me since the actual apps fail to satisfy my needs.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I'm hoping it won't be a repeat of the iDrive which was painfully slow. For my needs, I have 145GB of OneDrive storage and that's more then enough for me. (25GB free, 20 Office 365 and 100 from bing rewards) I know OneDrive is not for everyone but I like it and it works for me.

Sadly Apple's apps that compete with Office are not up to snuff, they lack the features so adding an increased integration of iCloud does not help me since the actual apps fail to satisfy my needs.

Yes, I remember that. It was really slow and unusable. In the developer preview of Yosemite it works fast, but it's too early to say of course.

sprezz

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
yep, I am the same. Current Dropbox user. Tried out others and just can't leave DB. After seeing the keynote though for such a small price and Apple integration I will likely move to iCloud. Finally iCloud is useful!

it also seems to not be such a pain in the neck for developers like myself...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, I remember that. It was really slow and unusable. In the developer preview of Yosemite it works fast, but it's too early to say of course.

I don't have Yosemite installed, so I can't judge who well it is. Time will tell in how well it stacks up against Dropbox, google and Microsoft. I wonder if it will be as useful as the others for non apple apps/data.

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm thinking of buying a WD My Cloud drive to replace my current 4 TB HDD that's connected to a Time Capsule.

I suppose I will be able to stream movies from the My Cloud drive to my iPad/iPhone using a DLNA-app, or is this a faulty conclusion?

(And as many of you have already stated, when Yosemite arrives, I'll move my 100 GB Dropbox account to Cupertino land instead...)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm thinking of buying a WD My Cloud drive to replace my current 4 TB HDD that's connected to a Time Capsule.

I suppose I will be able to stream movies from the My Cloud drive to my iPad/iPhone using a DLNA-app, or is this a faulty conclusion?

(And as many of you have already stated, when Yosemite arrives, I'll move my 100 GB Dropbox account to Cupertino land instead...)

Yes, you can.

TomasEU

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
I am using Drobox 4 years for sync 1password and Bitcasa as network drive , macbook air + ssd out of space !!!
only 128 gb

thx a lot ;)

ps u can try symform for NAS

Last edited by a moderator:

sarahragan2014

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
Carson City
I've got 57GB free with copy, you get like 5GB per referral aswell as 15 to start. The only problem is the lack of integration with other apps, although if you simply want to access files in various places or with various devices, it works a charm

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I've been bouncing across Dropbox, Google Drive, and Onedrive. Each seems to have their benefits. All have easy backup of photos from my iPhone via their apps.

• Dropbox seems to be the most supported across platforms and devices and syncs fast, but offers the least free storage.
  • Google Drive gives more free storage (and a lot more if you get a Chromebook or select tablets) and is pretty well supported across platforms. On my Mac, a bit more of a resource hog though than Dropbox. Also nice to have the Google Docs and Sheets from a browser if in a pinch (even though not exactly MS Office app).
  • OneDrive also gives more free storage than Dropbox, cross platform, and has integrated web browser free versions of Word Online and Excel Online. But it's MS :)

I'd prefer to pick one and be done with it, but I just don't see a single clear cut winner. Maybe I just need to keep using across all 3.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not going to go into any massive amounts of details but check out Bitcasa:

https://www.bitcasa.com/pricing

I don't know what the $ rate is but if it's a direct conversion from £ that'll be around $114 for 1TB space.

Its quite a good service as I have been using since beta (unlimited storage for £69 a year!) and rarely have an issue, any issues people have tend to be the users fault.

Oh and it's genuine storage; you store it in the server like it's a hard drive so you can remove your copy from your computer, unlike Dropbox.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
I will keep my Dropbox paid account a good year after iCloud storage is released. I'll watch for forums discussions about it and then, I'll make an educated choice. Let's say that Apple track record with online services is ...not awesome ;)

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Copy does not version. You guys better check your files as I can change mine as much as I want but unless I change the name of the file on save, the old one is the only one that shows up on other computers/devices. Probably an issue with their systems but so far, after 2 months, I find Copy utterly useless.

We use it for travel itinerary's until we discovered everyone was out of whack with schedules that had been changed but never showed up in Copy anywhere other than the host machine's desktop folder. Already back to DropBox.

Last edited:

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
I have 20gb of free dropbox space. I'll mainly be using iCloud drive when it comes out though. Dropbox will be my second space since it's so popular/well-known.

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
Now that Dropbox offers 1Tb instead of 100Gb for the same price ($10/month or $100/year), it's even better.

I'm pretty happy with this (much needed) upgrade.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Now that Dropbox offers 1Tb instead of 100Gb for the same price ($10/month or $100/year), it's even better.

I'm pretty happy with this (much needed) upgrade.

That's good news, but I think its a little too late for them. Their competitors are offering more features/services for a low price.

I still like dropbox, but its hard to see them around in the long term.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have 1TB on OneDrive and I am not using it! I find it totally useless for me and I prefer to pay DropBox, because it works perfect. The issues with OneDrive:
  • It's slow
  • It has a 2GB file limit. Really Microsoft? You give us 1TB storage but don't allow for files above 2GB? #fail
  • It doesn't support the OS X file system correctly. Tags, special characters and folder path lenghts are not supported.
  • OneDrive is optimized for Windows users.
  • It doesn't support symbolic links. This is a big issue for me. I want to backup my home videos that are on an external drive. There is no way to do that with OneDrive...(unless I copy the files under the OneDrive directory of course) #fail

Microsoft could give me 1Petabyte of storage. Currently OneDrive is useless..

DropBox costs more, but it's working great.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have 1TB on OneDrive and I am not using it! I find it totally useless for me and I prefer to pay DropBox, because it works perfect. The issues with OneDrive:
My experience has been the opposite. I've not needed to store a file larger then 2GB so that issue has not cropped up for me. I find great value in the storage. I agree I've not saturated the 1TB quota yet but I'm paying less for OneDrive and I'm getting Office, online version, iPad version and of course PC/Mac. Plus I can have my family have their own OneDrive and Office install and not count against my 1TB.

To each his own, but I've found it to be a great deal.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
That's good news, but I think its a little too late for them. Their competitors are offering more features/services for a low price.

Not in my experience, I've tried Box, Copy, Google Drive, Onedrive and some others, I've settled on a combination of BitTorrent Sync and Dropbox.

Copy for example, won't recognize when a file is changed on one device and update it, you have to manually change the filename. Dropbox will just see the change and sync the new version to the other devices...

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
My experience has been the opposite. I've not needed to store a file larger then 2GB so that issue has not cropped up for me. I find great value in the storage. I agree I've not saturated the 1TB quota yet but I'm paying less for OneDrive and I'm getting Office, online version, iPad version and of course PC/Mac. Plus I can have my family have their own OneDrive and Office install and not count against my 1TB.

To each his own, but I've found it to be a great deal.

yeah but you are in the USA :cool: I got 200GB free on OneDrive and here in Sweden it´s so slow, I could fly to USA with an external HDD check into a hotel and upload my quota.. fly home and it still would be faster than using internet..

dropbox isn´t that fast either.. google drive is by far the fastest here.. maybe 10-20Mbit/s upload (my Internet is 1/1 Gbit)

i did upload a folder with pictures from iPhoto/Masters/2013.. around 4GB to OneDrive the other day (no nudies I think...) and it took an afternoon

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I still use Dropbox predominantly except in China where it's permanently blocked.

I like using the Packrat functionality.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I use BitTorrent Sync to keep folders on my MBP and Mac-Mini synchronised, the data goes through the cloud but isn't stored anywhere but on my machines and devices.

It has the added advantage of being free and only limited in size by your choice of storage drives on each linked device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.