Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Just wondering if they are a legit, reputable online retailer that can be trusted?

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Totally. They have been aroudn a long time. Bought a few things there. My mom, who is a computer programmer, buys all her stuff from them.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Back in the day, I used to buy quite a few items to build PCs. I have no recollection of issues but that was long ago.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I've bought lots of things from Tigerdirect.com and they are a good company but the shipping charges they have to FPO addresses usually make the deal cheaper via Amazon these days (using my Prime for no shipping costs)...usually if Tigerdirect puts something on sale, Amazon matches the price within a couple days also.

Good luck with your purchase.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I used to use TigerDirect exclusively to buy my computer components. The only trouble I had was when they didn't do sales, but mail in rebates, which had to be tracked. I switched to NewEgg because it was easier to navigate their website.

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Just wondering if they are a legit, reputable online retailer that can be trusted?

I have used them several times and even bought a refurb. Gateway computer from them. All has been good. They are affiliated with ComUSA and their stores are best stocked in my area.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
My experience...not totally great.

IMO overall they are okay. I have purchased quite a lot from them and the only truly bad experience I had from them was purchasing a phone. I had to exchange it (half the functions didn't work) and the process was really bad to say the least. It turned out the phone sales were through a 3rd party, they would not issue an rma or any record of return/exchange at all. They would not cross ship so I had to wait for snail mail to get a replacement phone. Since, like most people, I needed to have a phone I was forced to buy another phone to use until my Tiger phone arrived.

I would have written this off as a rare issue and continued buying from Tiger but they did not offer any sort compensation for my troubles so now I buy from Newegg, OWC, among others, and do not use them any more.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Tiger Direct owns both Circuit City and Comp USA, so if you've heard of those, then you know of their legitimacy. I've ordered from them numerously and not once have I ever encountered a problem. They can have some really great deals at times.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Tiger Direct owns both Circuit City and Comp USA, so if you've heard of those, then you know of their legitimacy. I've ordered from them numerously and not once have I ever encountered a problem. They can have some really great deals at times.

I've heard of both but didn't know Circuit City was still around. I could swear they filed for bankruptcy and closed all their stores/went out of business. Thought the same thing happened to CompUSA as well.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I've heard of both but didn't know Circuit City was still around. I could swear they filed for bankruptcy and closed all their stores/went out of business. Thought the same thing happened to CompUSA as well.

Both Circuit City and CompUSA both filed bankrupcy. They were purchased by Tigerdirect solely so that Tiger could use their likeness. They exist now solely as other "versions" of TigerDirect and only for online sales. CompUSA and Circuit City have nothing to do with their previous versions, so using them as a barometer for the validity of Tiger Direct makes little sense.

I have personally purchased from Tiger. Never really had any problems with them, except that (as already pointed out) most of their "deals" are Mail-in-rebates which ultimately means a lot of headaches and denials and appeals. I refuse to do Mail-in-rebates anymore.

charlespe

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
TigerDirect is a good company with plenty of choices in hardware and equipment under one roof. They had the best prices too until other big stores matched them.

kbarnes

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2015
They used to be good. Bought from them for years. DO NOT BUY FROM TIGER DIRECT. They are con artists now. I bought a refurbished TV that was defective on arrival. They gave name and number for a warranty company. That company is just a voice mail service. No human ever answers or calls back. Called tiger direct and same thing just about. I spent 5 hours on hold and never got anyone to answer. Sent several emails and no answer to those either. They definetly don't care anymore. I am having to get the attorney general involved as this is fraud.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Used to buy from them, DO NOT ANYMORE. Something happened, maybe a management shift, but now they are sending previously returned things as new. I think they inspect and if it looks "ok" they resell it even though there may be parts missing, charging missing, etc. Their CS is awful!! Don't order, but you are welcome to play the lottery. If you get the right item, that isn't open, and does not need a return, you should be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.