Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larrygornick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
I’ve been using Apple products for years now, and I’ve had some good and some back screen protectors and cases along the way. I would like to talk about screen protectors, and try to have an all-encompassing thread; since there are seemingly thousands of them on this site, and yet the question has not been answered.

The Question: Do you need a screen protector for you iPhone?
The Answer: No. But you should use one anyway.

I often read threads arguing that newer phones are being constructed out of material that is very difficult to scratch, therefore rendering the screen protector universe rather nil. However, I prompt you to reconsider. No matter how safe a phone may be independent of accesory, insurance is always good. Especially cheap insurance. There are several brands of screen protectors that are inexpensive, and while not entirely necessary. There are car insurance commercials that depict someone having a bizarre accident, and they are glad that they have the insurance to cover it. Wouldn’t you like to have that cushion of safety with your phone?
Bizarre things do happen, and it only takes one accident for your phone to be rendered useless.

Many complain that screen protectors have tons of bubbles, and ruin the image. So, I have compiled a list of companies that I’ve used that have worked well for me, and probably will work well for you too. These are all companies that offer protection for less than $15, and help insure you from having to pay $700 for a new phone when the accident occurs.

1) Zagg
2) amFilm
3) Supershieldz
4) iCarez
5) Anker
6) Spigen

These are all companies that offer cheap, plastic (non-glass) screen protectors. I would recommend all of them, and I strongly urge all of you to consider all of them. If you have any questions, please post on this thread. I would like for it to remain on the first page for as long as possible, so as to help anyone with questions regarding this topic.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I’ve been using Apple products for years now, and I’ve had some good and some back screen protectors and cases along the way. I would like to talk about screen protectors, and try to have an all-encompassing thread; since there are seemingly thousands of them on this site, and yet the question has not been answered.
Why do you think this thread will be any different than the countless prior threads? Whether to use one or not is simply a matter of preference. There isn't one option that is best for everyone.

No matter how safe a phone may be independent of accesory, insurance is always good.
Again, subjective. Each needs to decide what precautions the individual is willing to take. For some, it's nothing. For others it may just be a screen protector. For yet others it may just be a case. For others it may be insurance. For others it may be any combination. No thread is going to provide a definitive answer because it's up to the individual to decide.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I agree that the protection is just added insurance. The more insurance, the safer you would be in the event of an accident. Good list, thank you.

larrygornick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
Why do you think this thread will be any different than the countless prior threads? Whether to use one or not is simply a matter of preference. There isn't one option that is best for everyone.

Again, subjective. Each needs to decide what precautions the individual is willing to take. For some, it's nothing. For others it may just be a screen protector. For yet others it may just be a case. For others it may be insurance. For others it may be any combination. No thread is going to provide a definitive answer because it's up to the individual to decide.

I'm just trying to make a thread that can narrow down the countless other threads. There are so many, I thought that by making a megathread, I could help some people have a hub to go to.

kaimaikid

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2014
Has anyone tried the cheap Chinese Spigen glas tr screen protectors?

Would be interesting to see how these compare to the genuine item

alexander2020

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2014

I often read threads arguing that newer phones are being constructed out of material that is very difficult to scratch, therefore rendering the screen protector universe rather nil. However, I prompt you to reconsider. No matter how safe a phone may be independent of accesory, insurance is always good. Especially cheap insurance. There are several brands of screen protectors that are inexpensive, and while not entirely necessary. There are car insurance commercials that depict someone having a bizarre accident, and they are glad that they have the insurance to cover it. Wouldn’t you like to have that cushion of safety with your phone?
Bizarre things do happen, and it only takes one accident for your phone to be rendered useless.

Many complain that screen protectors have tons of bubbles, and ruin the image. So, I have compiled a list of companies that I’ve used that have worked well for me, and probably will work well for you too. These are all companies that offer protection for less than $15, and help insure you from having to pay $700 for a new phone when the accident occurs.

1) Zagg
2) amFilm
3) Supershieldz
4) iCarez
5) Anker
6) Spigen

These are all companies that offer cheap, plastic (non-glass) screen protectors. I would recommend all of them, and I strongly urge all of you to consider all of them. If you have any questions, please post on this thread. I would like for it to remain on the first page for as long as possible, so as to help anyone with questions regarding this topic.

I agree with you. I have seen people comment on similar threads telling that they don't need a screen protector simply because they can take care of their phones. But "accidents" are called accidents for a reason; whether it is dropping your phone or keeping it on the same pocket as your keys. The screen is going to get scratches one way or the other. so I use screen protectors to keep my screen new and to mitigate or completely avoid the effects of such accidents. The product that I use is "Gearmaxx" which was suggested to me by my best friend. Really clear and does not mess with my screen's touch sensitivity. Installing was easy as well and now I use their screen protectors on my phone, ipod laptop and camera. Its a decent product.

markbravo2014

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2014
I agree with you. I have seen people comment on similar threads telling that they don't need a screen protector simply because they can take care of their phones. But "accidents" are called accidents for a reason; whether it is dropping your phone or keeping it on the same pocket as your keys. The screen is going to get scratches one way or the other. so I use screen protectors to keep my screen new and to mitigate or completely avoid the effects of such accidents. The product that I use is "Gearmaxx" which was suggested to me by my best friend. Really clear and does not mess with my screen's touch sensitivity. Installing was easy as well and now I use their screen protectors on my phone, ipod laptop and camera. Its a decent product.

Screen protectors are definitely a most on phone screens. Just because replacing a phone's screen is really expensive. When I first visited the Gearmaxx website, I was taken aback by the properties they said their screen protectors had. I decided to try it anyway ( I was still skeptical). The installation was really easy and I was pleased with its quality as well. I have yet to see if it lasts long but I am really happy with how my screen looks; no scratches at all!! I would definitely suggest Gearmaxx to the people who are looking for something new.

lexie007

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
Screen protectors are definitely a most on phone screens. Just because replacing a phone's screen is really expensive. When I first visited the Gearmaxx website, I was taken aback by the properties they said their screen protectors had. I decided to try it anyway ( I was still skeptical). The installation was really easy and I was pleased with its quality as well. I have yet to see if it lasts long but I am really happy with how my screen looks; no scratches at all!! I would definitely suggest Gearmaxx to the people who are looking for something new.

I have heard a lot of people talk about Gearmaxx recently. can you give me a link. I'd like to try this product!!

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Okay, so I bought one of the gearmaxx 5S screen protectors- it is really nice, and I can say that it is very high quality. But it was a little expensive. Previous to this one, I had an amFilm one, that is also pretty high quality. Right now, it is a total of $3 on amazon. While the gearmaxx is indeed a high quality, I think I was content with the amfilm one.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

1)Zagg

2)amFilm

3)Supershieldz

4)iCarez

5)Anker

6)Spigen

Tech armor is the main company for screen protectors on amazon. Just sayin:) plus they are very cheap.

paulsiu

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2014
Hi,

I initially applied a dry applied screen protector for my wife's iphone, but I am not all that coordinated, so the protector ended up slightly off. Later, it started peeling from the edge. I replaced it with a Zagg web mount, which worked really well since I can rearrange it until it lines up. It looked and worked great, but after a year, the screen protector started bubbling up from the middle of the screen and various place and from the home button. It's like the plastic was separating or something.

Now, I am thinking getting either a Moshi Ivisor or one of the tempered glass screen protectors. For example, I notice that on ebay, I can get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Qualit...l_Phone_Screen_Protectors&hash=item461d66212a

However, I notice that there is no cutout for the round thing next to the ear piece (which I am not sure what the round thing is). I am also concern that the glass may scratch the screen underneath, which would not be an issue with film screen protector.

As a note, one reason to use a screen protector is to prevent scratches. The screen is usually hard enough to prevent scratches from keys, but sand is often hard enough to scratch the glass.

Paul

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Hi,

I initially applied a dry applied screen protector for my wife's iphone, but I am not all that coordinated, so the protector ended up slightly off. Later, it started peeling from the edge. I replaced it with a Zagg web mount, which worked really well since I can rearrange it until it lines up. It looked and worked great, but after a year, the screen protector started bubbling up from the middle of the screen and various place and from the home button. It's like the plastic was separating or something.

Now, I am thinking getting either a Moshi Ivisor or one of the tempered glass screen protectors. For example, I notice that on ebay, I can get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Qualit...l_Phone_Screen_Protectors&hash=item461d66212a

However, I notice that there is no cutout for the round thing next to the ear piece (which I am not sure what the round thing is). I am also concern that the glass may scratch the screen underneath, which would not be an issue with film screen protector.

As a note, one reason to use a screen protector is to prevent scratches. The screen is usually hard enough to prevent scratches from keys, but sand is often hard enough to scratch the glass.

Paul

Light sensor so the phone knows when it's near your ear

----------

I had one of those accidents. Bumped my elbow on a chair and down went the phone. About 4 feet onto concrete.

Had an ultra thin case .03 mm and it cracked at the impact point and protected the phone. Many said those cases were pointless.

I had a Sir Lancelot from Kickstarter glass shield. One edge was chipped and one crack across the glass protector. I replaced it.

Phone...100% fine

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014

----------

I had one of those accidents. Bumped my elbow on a chair and down went the phone. About 4 feet onto concrete.

Had an ultra thin case .03 mm and it cracked at the impact point and protected the phone. Many said those cases were pointless.

I had a Sir Lancelot from Kickstarter glass shield. One edge was chipped and one crack across the glass protector. I replaced it.

Phone...100% fine

Isn't it costly to replace those cases, though? Is there one that can withstand several drops?

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009

----------

Phone...100% fine

Please link to both of the above you've mentioned. How did you install both together? Or are they compatible?

calbear92

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Apple Store Sells 3 Kinds

Personally, I purchased ~ $20 with tax at the Apple Store, Power Support Anti-glare film set (2) front only. It's made in Japan and what's nice about this- you can remove with no residue and replace/reuse the film. Just have to be very careful about dust accumulating on the back surface.

I had to get my replacement iPhone 5s replaced after 1 day (rattling power button and some sluggish hardware/software performance issue). I thought I was going to have to eat the new screen protector, but it peeled off with no issues (static cling!). The Genius said that I could bring the original packaging back and they would replace with new ones.

However, I didn't want to necessarily go back to the Apple Store a 3rd time so I washed both sides with soap and water since there was some dust/lint from trying cloth and papertowels- and got it to dry spotlessly by constantly wiping off the excess water with my fingertips until dry. Reapplied to new iPhone 5s and perfect- no lint, no bubbles.

Last edited:

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Personally, I purchased ~ $20 with tax, Power Support Anti-glare film set (2) front only. It's made in Japan and what's nice about this- you can remove with no residue and replace/reuse the film. Just have to be very careful about dust accumulating on the back surface.

I had to get my replacement iPhone 5s replaced after 1 day (rattling power button and some sluggish hardware/software performance issue). I thought I was going to have to eat the new screen protector, but it peeled off with no issues (static cling!).

I washed both sides with soap and water since there was some dust/lintk from trying cloth and papertowels- and got it to dry spotlessly by constantly wiping off the excess water with my fingertips until dry. Reapplied to new iPhone 5s and perfect- no lint, no bubbles.

That's remarkable. I've never heard of a screen protector being used twice.

calbear92

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Reusing Screen Protector

I think this one is unique b/c it didn't have an adhesive. It's stuck on by static cling. I would imagine any of the other brands that also offer "no adhesive" upon removal would also have this as a feature. (pure speculation on my part as I have only my own experience to go on).

I did it out of convenience- it was one day old and I didn't want to have to make yet another trip back to the Apple store (although the Genius said I could bring back the original packaging and they would swap it for brand new ones).

This is why I was happy to pay the Apple Store a few more $ vs ordering same item online.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I think this one is unique b/c it didn't have an adhesive. It's stuck on by static cling. I would imagine any of the other brands that also offer "no adhesive" upon removal would also have this as a feature. (pure speculation on my part as I have only my own experience to go on).

I did it out of convenience- it was one day old and I didn't want to have to make yet another trip back to the Apple store (although the Genius said I could bring back the original packaging and they would swap it for brand new ones).

This is why I was happy to pay the Apple Store a few more $ vs ordering same item online.

Makes sense. I'm fairly tech-y, and usually just install them myself. There are several really good products that you can get online. Idk, just personal preference.

calbear92

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Clarify- I did remove and install myself.

I was actually referring to the convenience of purchasing them at the retail Apple Store so they would available for my use immediately vs ordering online and waiting a few days to arrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.