Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I don't use a screen protector on my iPhone 5. My screen has gone unprotected in my pocket with keys, drops, etc.My iPhone has a relatively thin hard case. It has survived long drops with no issues. Not a scratch.

Modern smartphones are much tougher than people think. Things like Otterbox cases and screen protectors are completely pointless, just a way to make money off paranoid people.

The 4/4S really were quite fragile. The 5/5S is much more durable. I use the default iPhone 5/5S case made by Apple, which is fairly low profile. My phone is almost in perfect condition. I do have the standard key scuffing though, which really isn't noticeable, unless you're looking at it with the screen turned off.

Although I've also owned quite a few iPhones over the years. So I've learned how to handle one. I've broken one iPhone 3G (water) and two iPhone 4's (back glass shatter). After those experiences, my brain is basically my "otterbox". For a younger or more careless person, an otterbox may be a good idea. Especially if they have an iPhone 4/4S, or are prone to excessive drinking.

As for a screen protector, I'm on the fence. I kind of wish I had one in order to avoid the light scuffing that I have, but I'm just going to resell this phone once the 6 hits the market, and the scuffing will have negligible effect on the resale vale. So a screen protector may not be worth the hassle. As a side note, I tried a few screen protectors on previous phones, and they were of absolutely horrendous quality. Creating pixelating reflectivity, etc. I hope better ones are on the market these days.

----------

I have a feeling a 5.5inch won't be released at all. I sure hope they do though.

If we don't see parts soon, we can pretty well assume that it's not happening. I remember people working themselves into a frenzy about rumors for the 4S and 5S, expecting a new design instead, and that new design never appeared. The rumor sites are quite often wrong, at least until a few weeks prior.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I don't understand why everyone is complaining about those antenna lines. I mean the back of the iPhone 5/5S with it's random glass pieces looks even worse imo. This looks more subtle to me

This what I've been trying to say.

Apparently to everyone else big slabs of glass isn't "thick" like these lines. I don't understand it. These lines almost disappear under a lot of lighting scenarios, on the other hand the 5/5S always has an unsightly two-toned look.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
But yeah, I am starting to think the 5.5 is either tightly under wraps, delayed or won't come out.

I'm beginning to feel the same way.

I've been really warming to the idea of a 5.5" (not that I was ever against it), but the real lack of any leaks (I don't think there has been a single 1 has there?), does make me think it's not happening this year.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Kinda liking this so far. The apple cut out is a waste as the majority of people case their iPhones. Myself included. A cool thought none the less. :apple:

----------

I'm beginning to feel the same way.

I've been really warming to the idea of a 5.5" (not that I was ever against it), but the real lack of any leaks (I don't think there has been a single 1 has there?), does make me think it's not happening this year.

I agree. I'd even go as far as state "A 5.5" iPhone is a fantasy" Just sayin'

nijmegen96

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2014
Mock Up

My attempt to clean it up and make it look a little more like a phone. I used gimp and I'm not very good so it could've been a lot better.

Attachments

• Iphone6.png
    Iphone6.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 101

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
Hasn't anybody questioned the fact that the images and video have come from this 'feld & volk' company, which I've just looked into. It looks like they engineer custom iPhone shells for the iPhone 5S. If they have the milling machines for that, they could easily mill the iPhone 6 leaked designs using the same milling machines. It's plausible that this self-proclaimed leak of a 'genuine' iPhone 6 shell could actually be a dishonest promotion of their own products.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
A lit logo would probably tempt me to buy one of these... Just for the cool factor.

/r/hailcorporate.

Rounded edges beat out flat edges in terms of being easier to hold. I've always felt that the iPhone 5 requires a strong grip to feel secure in the hand.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
A lit logo would probably tempt me to buy one of these... Just for the cool factor.

/r/hailcorporate.

Rounded edges beat out flat edges in terms of being easier to hold. I've always felt that the iPhone 5 requires a strong grip to feel secure in the hand.

Same here, always fearing it will flip out of my hand walking down the street.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
I'm also ridiculously OCD when it comes to my phone which is why I don't use/need a case/protector. After a year of use, when it's time to get the next phone, my previous device looks like it did the day it came out of the box (with one exception, my 3GS, but a case wouldn't have helped that one -- it went through the laundry cycle. oops).

• My front left pocket is dedicated solely for my phone. No keys, change, receipts, rubber bands, headphones, anything allowed in there. Only the phone.
  • I never set it directly on a hard surface. Ever. This includes when going to bed, in the car, the kitchen, and so on.
  • I don't let go of it when I'm holding it (i.e. I don't drop it).

In other words, I treat it like the high precision piece of engineering that it is so I can enjoy the feel of it in my hands. Putting a case on one of these things is like buying a Ferrari F430 but only driving it with a car cover on (hopefully with window cut-outs).

You need one of these

This what I've been trying to say.

Apparently to everyone else big slabs of glass isn't "thick" like these lines. I don't understand it. These lines almost disappear under a lot of lighting scenarios, on the other hand the 5/5S always has an unsightly two-toned look.

While I don't particularly like the slabs of glass on the 5/5s I think these lines look far worse. The small strips of metal sandwiched between thick lines just doesn't look right at all. If the lines were a bit thinner it would look a lot better.

----------

Hasn't anybody questioned the fact that the images and video have come from this 'feld & volk' company, which I've just looked into. It looks like they engineer custom iPhone shells for the iPhone 5S. If they have the milling machines for that, they could easily mill the iPhone 6 leaked designs using the same milling machines. It's plausible that this self-proclaimed leak of a 'genuine' iPhone 6 shell could actually be a dishonest promotion of their own products.

I don't think any of these are legit. They all look like the antenna lines are painted on. If we go by the CAD file image posted the back isn't even 100% unibody as all these would otherwise suggest.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
With the video posted the other day showing just how incredibly durable the sapphire laminate screen is why not go back to the iPhone 4/4s design and use it front and back? No scratches. No antenna lines.

Well, first of all they would be criticized for recycling designs—although this one isn't too different than an iPad Mini mashed together with an iPhone 5S. Second of all glass is generally heavier and thicker than the thinner strips of aluminum currently used. But I agree that the scratch resistance would be amazing.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I totally agree. After watching the sapphire front panel video considering the possibility of not needing a screen protector...I'm definitely tempted.

I HATE screen protectors. I've never had a scratch on any of my iPhones (except the 3GS). I keep keys in a separate pocket. Until a month ago, I've only dropped an iPhone once (the 4S and it had only a bumper case) and thankfully nothing impacted the screen. With my 5S, I've dropped it a few times in the past month, probably because I'm using the camera much more while documenting my work on my SUV. Even with the thin Apple leather case (doesn't protect the glass), I haven't had a problem, I do know I am somewhat lucky that the screen itself didn't hit a pebble, etc.

The bottom line is, the screen protectors are an inferior surface to touch, they get dirty easier, its possible to get dust on the underside (I'm referring to the protectors that come with the case, and not the kind that attach directly to the glass panel). Glass just feels better and glass doesn't scratch as easily as people think. Maybe it's just me and the fact that I don't put keys in the same pocket?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I think you need to live a little mate-being that OTT with a phone can't be good for your health..... :D

Oh, I live plenty, trust me. :cool: I just take care of my expensive devices at the same time. :)

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Actually I just did a mockup of the back, and assuming the camera would have roughly the same distance from the flash as currently, the camera would definitely be further from the edge.

While it's not impossible that Apple had to compromise because of the internal layout, IMO it's uglier from the outside.

I made a mockup of a camera hole location that would give a more aethetically pleasant result:

Yes, but it seems this is waht we'll get this autumn. Without Steve and Forstall no one cares about real design perfection anymore.

ndlundberg

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
I'm happy about the rounded shapes and overall design, even though it's really uninspired and boring. But what's the deal with those massive antenna breaks? Looks like absolute *****!

cRizz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
The dark version seems strange to me:

1. weren't there leaks of the sim trays in silver, gold and space gray ? IMO its too dark.

2. if it's really only an unfinished state of production, why would they color it already? Especially the interior with the mounting screw holes for production, which would have to be removed.

Just saying...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.