Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This show has a good vibe, intrigue (human conspiracy, alien, or both?), a mysterious pregnancy, astronauts having visions, and an android kid... enjoying it so far. :D

Extant-Banner.jpg

I'm surprised that the scientist behind the robot child, called a "humanic", believes that robots who have human equivalent intelligence should be allowed to develop as a human develops, my impression is without hindrance and nothing is mentioned about the three laws of robotics.

1.A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2.A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't watch the show because the name "Extant" looks like some sort of spelling error, and it bothers me. </insane>

Other than that, it looks like it could develop into something interesting.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The three "laws" of robotics are nothing more than Asimov's suggestion and not "laws". There are no robots built to obey these (and there will be none).

You know, I know that. :p The issue is when you allow a machine equivalent to human intelligence to develop on its own, you could end up with something whose morals don't align with humans. This could be a serious problem for humanity along the lines of Blade Runner. ;)

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
You know, I know that. :p The issue is when you allow a machine equivalent to human intelligence to develop on its own, you could end up with something whose morals don't align with humans. This could be a serious problem for humanity along the lines of Blade Runner. ;)

Good point with the BR, I personally think it is inevitable. Robots will have very different priorities.

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
Is this intended to be a miniseries or is there possibility for renewal?

I liked the trailer, but I think I'll hold off for a while.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Four episodes in and it's heating up nicely! :) I like the atmosphere and story. Too bad Hiroyuki Sanada has type cast himself as a heavy... (Last seen on Helix.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What is the deal with this show? It heated up and then cooled back down. The elements of a sci-fi thriller, outstanding atmosphere, good story, but it just seems to mope along.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
In the UK we only get this on Amazon Instant Video (used to be LoveFilm Online) so the audience is smaller, but my wife quite likes the show. I, however, get the feeling that it's another "Lost" with no real direction, and will just be written as it goes along.
Rather than explaining stuff, they'll just add new "mystery" to try and make us forget.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In the UK we only get this on Amazon Instant Video (used to be LoveFilm Online) so the audience is smaller, but my wife quite likes the show. I, however, get the feeling that it's another "Lost" with no real direction, and will just be written as it goes along.
Rather than explaining stuff, they'll just add new "mystery" to try and make us forget.

I love Lost, the story, the flashbacks, but they dragged it out one or two seasons too long. I believe it had direction, but that they milked it too much.

For Extant, someone, the evil bosses ;) seem to know something about what they are dealing with, obviously aliens, but the question is, is this a conspiracy of aliens, as do they walk among us, or is it humans messing with something they don't fully understand, nor understand the aliens' agenda? Within the framework of the story, these questions appear answerable, although that is no guarantee we'll get answers. Ultimately if new mysteries appear without answers I'll become concerned.

Which makes me think of The Leftovers (HBO), a story with a huge mystery, based on a book which is reported to have no answers. I bowed out after it became apparent to me this show is about how people react to an upheaval, and no answers. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, I'm caught up....I don't know. (An expression of doubt) :p Two more Episodes left.
I suppose people who see their dead loved ones under the influence lose all their logic including suspecting they are being manipulated.

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Well, I'm caught up....I don't know. (An expression of doubt) :p Two more Episodes left.
I suppose people who see their dead loved ones under the fluency lose all their logic including suspecting they are being manipulated.

I saw episode one and got tired of it in episode 2... Would it be advisable to watch the final 2 episodes just to see if this show ever developed into a series of intrigue? I already deleted every episode my DVR recorded after since I have no interest in devoting a full season watching to this.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
I suppose people who see their dead loved ones under the fluency lose all their logic including suspecting they are being manipulated.

After watching the last episodes, I'm expecting the alien baby to exclaim "Feed me, Seymour!" at some point in the finale...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I saw episode one and got tired of it in episode 2... Would it be advisable to watch the final 2 episodes just to see if this show ever developed into a series of intrigue? I already deleted every episode my DVR recorded after since I have no interest in devoting a full season watching to this.

Thanks for confirmation.

After watching the last episodes, I'm expecting the alien baby to exclaim "Feed me, Seymour!" at some point in the finale...

Lol. This show has many elements that are appealing, the atmosphere and music are good, it feels like the future, but it's just another wannabe thriller. I can't fault the kid android, his development is intriguing. And they added this Pro-Humanity/Flesh Fair extremist group (A.I. ref) which is laying there for the time being. But the show appears to suffer from mediocre writing, pace, direction, and acting. "Hey Molly, do you want to see your baby?" (evil grin).

For poor acting, I'd hold up Yasumoto (Hiroyuki Sanada from Helix who was just as bad there. It's just not enough to be Japanese, speaking in a monotone voice), Director Sparks, Harmon, Charlie, and for Halle Berry who can give a good cry, this is not her best effort. Script and direction could be causal. I wonder when this is observed in a show/movie is it a group phenomena based on inadequate writing and direction? However, John Woods (Goran Visnjic) seems to rise above it all.

I won't be surprised because the creature makes you see what it wants you to see, (such as human fetus) that it will (really) look something like:

1380547600.jpg

This was written back in July:
At this rate, “Extant” will be extinct soon enough. The show has a great provenance, coming from Steven Spielberg and Amblin TV. It has the feel of Spielberg’s Stanley Kubrick film, “AI Artificial Intelligence.” But it’s just not clicking with anyone of any age so far. And CBS is an older skewing network anyway, not the place where hip sci fi is discovered or followed.

Halle, one of my favorite actresses, may be headed back to movies. And soon.
(link)

As I think about it, another hyped-fail SciFi show Terra Nova also had "Spielberg" attached. So much for a name... :p

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
lol :rolleyes:. In case you missed it, the question I was getting across was whether it'd be a good idea to watch the final two episodes after skipping most of the rest ?

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
... Lol. This show has many elements that are appealing, the atmosphere and music are good, it feels like the future, but it's just another wannabe thriller. ...

I started watching it because it seemed like it'd be decent sci-fi. I probably would have stopped watching it, but during the sumer months there's few things worth watching.

Most of the actor seem capable, but nearly all the characters they play are annoying. I'm at the point where I hope the android-kid kills the half-human alien baby and all the human characters in the finale scene, and then realizes his batteries are running down and that there no one left alive to change them. Robo-kid then spends a few minute desperately trying to reach his battery pack, just out of reach on his back. As the final scene fade to black, robo-brat's finals words are "What kind of #$%^$# idiot designs an android with the battery pack out of his reach?"

As I think about it, another hyped-fail SciFi show Terra Nova also had "Spielberg" attached. So much for a name... :p

I couldn't stand the sappy music on "Terra Nova". I stopped watching after the pilot.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spoilers

lol :rolleyes:. In case you missed it, the question I was getting across was whether it'd be a good idea to watch the final two episodes after skipping most of the rest ?

I'm sorry, I misinterpreted what your were asking, if you thought I should watch the last 2episodes. The real question will be can they get better which is an unknown, but IMO unlikely. It's your gamble. :) For a semi update and more critique, keep reading.

I liked the first part of the story except that it moped along. I thought it really broke down when they kidnapped Molly from the woods, removed her baby, fixed her up so she looked not pregnant, and deposited her back into the woods.

Clarification from previous post... I'm irritated that the people who see loved ones without otherwise being mesmerized in some fashion, appear so happy to see a dead loved one, they just accept it, like its a miracle associated with the alien. And they are so happy they become murders to perpetuate the illusion and are willing to allow this alien to torture other human beings. Now it's possible at some point they will snap out of it, but the story has not made it clear, other than seeing someone dead that they love, in what other ways they have been effected. I think this because if the alien can effect its victims in other ways, then it would not need to show them illusions, it could just control them directly and Molly Woods would not be suspiciously investigating what happened to her. Although she currently thinks her baby needs protecting, and thinks that the visions of her dead husband is something positive versus something used to manipulate. I just don't think real people would react this way.

I started watching it because it seemed like it'd be decent sci-fi. I probably would have stopped watching it, but during the sumer months there's few things worth watching.

Most of the actor seem capable, but nearly all the characters they play are annoying. I'm at the point where I hope the android-kid kills the half-human alien baby and all the human characters in the finale scene, and then realizes his batteries are running down and that there no one left alive to change them. Robo-kid then spends a few minute desperately trying to reach his battery pack, just out of reach on his back. As the final scene fade to black, robo-brat's finals words are "What kind of #$%^$# idiot designs an android with the battery pack out of his reach?"

Lol again. So it's a writing, directing issue. :)

I couldn't stand the sappy music on "Terra Nova". I stopped watching after the pilot.

I stopped watching g when I realized the story was mediocre with zero intrigue.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
Oh no, don't compare it to Terra Nova!

Agree about the weird reactions of the people. The alien must be able to control people's feelings to some extent. There's no way the old lady would want to see her daughter at that age again, surely?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I finished Season 1. The season finale was watchable, but overall, despite good potential, the show suffers from a weak script and execution, story and acting is uneven. Although I like the futuristic atmosphere, the story muddled through most of the season. Maybe it's the director's fault.

The series has been renewed for Season 2. I'll probably watch some more. :)

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
I finished Season 1. The season finale was watchable, but overall, despite good potential, the show suffers from a weak script and execution, story and acting is uneven. Although I like the futuristic atmosphere, the story muddled through most of the season. Maybe it's the director's fault.

Examples please.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Examples please.

Have you watched it? If so, what do you think? I don't want to run down a list of spoilers, but I can say:

Spoilers!

-Halle Berry can give a good cry, but her "it's my baby" does not reconcile with the danger she knows this thing represents.
-Mystery, mystery, investigation, high point, on the run, take her baby, cover it up, now she's back. The execution of this was uneven. And when they abducted her and stole her baby, I don't really see them letting her lose to cause further complications.
- I realize the people being affected by the alien are under it's control, but the portrayals of Director Sparks and his wife, annoyed me.
-The portrayal of Gordon Kern, the turncoat, seems wishy washy.
-The anti-tech terrorist, ehh.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
Have you watched it? If so, what do you think? I don't want to run down a list of spoilers, but I can say:

Spoilers!

-Halle Berry can give a good cry, but her "it's my baby" does not reconcile with the danger she knows this thing represents.
-Mystery, mystery, investigation, high point, on the run, take her baby, cover it up, now she's back. The execution of this was uneven. And when they abducted her and stole her baby, I don't really see them letting her lose to cause further complications.
- I realize the people being affected by the alien are under it's control, but the portrayals of Director Sparks and his wife, annoyed me.
-The portrayal of Gordon Kern, the turncoat, seems wishy washy.
-The anti-tech terrorist, ehh.

I did think the Sparks bit was ridiculous. Unless the alien can control their emotions (and if so, why bother appearing as their daughter at all?) then why would they be so happy to see their daughter (who grew up to become a successful astronaut) as a little girl?

Also agree about Halle Berry's character. She knows all the stuff is made up, and that the "baby" is an alien, but still "wants it back"? WTF? I get the whole "a woman will do anything to save her baby" thing, but it's not really her baby. She puts her, her husband and their son (OK, so he's an android, but whatevs) life on the line multiple times to persue this baby of hers.

I'd like to see it progress by wrapping up this whole Sparks thing, and developing more with Ethan and the Japanese dude. And yes, the less said about the anti-tech guy (who had a bionic limb, ffs) the better.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I did think the Sparks bit was ridiculous. Unless the alien can control their emotions (and if so, why bother appearing as their daughter at all?) then why would they be so happy to see their daughter (who grew up to become a successful astronaut) as a little girl?

Also agree about Halle Berry's character. She knows all the stuff is made up, and that the "baby" is an alien, but still "wants it back"? WTF? I get the whole "a woman will do anything to save her baby" thing, but it's not really her baby. She puts her, her husband and their son (OK, so he's an android, but whatevs) life on the line multiple times to persue this baby of hers.

I'd like to see it progress by wrapping up this whole Sparks thing, and developing more with Ethan and the Japanese dude. And yes, the less said about the anti-tech guy (who had a bionic limb, ffs) the better.

Thanks for your perspective. I will watch this next season. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.