Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't care what anyone says: I love this movie, and I watched it last night. :p

Likewise, I enjoy all the Star Trek movies.

And I find myself in full agreement (not for the first time) with you both. I, too, am a completely unabashed fan of the Star Trek franchise (even if, over time, I have come to prefer STNG to the original.)

Indeed, (with something resembling a blush - not that this truth was ever admitted to the university which employed me) I recall rescheduling evening classes (which, as I was the professor, my wishes concerning exact times of availability were met) in order to catch episodes of Star Trek, and STNG

The excuse offered was something on the lines of 'pressing work load'..

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don't care what anyone says: I love this movie, and I watched it last night. :p

I don’t think you have to worry, it’s one of the more well received Trek movies :)

It’s a little cornball, but really fun. If I want to get all serious with my ST movies, I’ll toss on ST II: WoK :cool:

And I find myself in full agreement (not for the first time) with you both. I, too, am a completely unabashed fan of the Star Trek franchise (even if, over time, I have come to prefer STNG to the original….)

Indeed, (with something resembling a blush - not that this truth was ever admitted to the university which employed me) I recall rescheduling evening classes (which, as I was the professor, my wishes concerning exact times of availability were met) in order to catch episodes of Star Trek, and STNG……

The excuse offered was something on the lines of 'pressing work load'…..

Have you watched the re-mastered TSOS on Blue-ray? The video and audio quality are superb, and the new FX shots are really outstanding. I originally thought they might feel out of place, but they’re such an improvement, and done with such care to preserve the original intent, I definitely like them better (FWIW, you can toggle between the new and original FX shots to compare).

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
And I find myself in full agreement (not for the first time) with you both. I, too, am a completely unabashed fan of the Star Trek franchise (even if, over time, I have come to prefer STNG to the original….)

Indeed, (with something resembling a blush - not that this truth was ever admitted to the university which employed me) I recall rescheduling evening classes (which, as I was the professor, my wishes concerning exact times of availability were met) in order to catch episodes of Star Trek, and STNG……

The excuse offered was something on the lines of 'pressing work load'…..

I too find I like TNG the best. I have to admit that I really admire the way Picard handles conflict, and they did some really fabulous story telling throughout that series.

Hmmm, maybe I'll revisit some TNG this evening. :p

I don’t think you have to worry, it’s one of the more well received Trek movies :)

It’s a little cornball, but really fun. If I want to get all serious with my ST movies, I’ll toss on ST II: WoK :cool:

:cool:

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I dont think you have to worry, its one of the more well received Trek movies :)

Its a little cornball, but really fun. If I want to get all serious with my ST movies, Ill toss on ST II: WoK :cool:

Have you watched the re-mastered TSOS on Blue-ray? The video and audio quality are superb, and the new FX shots are really outstanding. I originally thought they might feel out of place, but theyre such an improvement, and done with such care to preserve the original intent, I definitely like them better (FWIW, you can toggle between the new and original FX shots to compare).

No, as a matter of fact, actually, I haven't. That sounds really interesting. I'll look out for them when I am home for more than a snatched week or two.

I too find I like TNG the best. I have to admit that I really admire the way Picard handles conflict, and they did some really fabulous story telling throughout that series.

Hmmm, maybe I'll revisit some TNG this evening. :p

:cool:

Agree completely re JL Picard and also admire hugely how he handles conflict, and indeed admire him enormously as a leadership role model, full stop. He was my favourite character by far in STNG (as Mr Spock was in the original).

And I agree completely with you, too, on the complexity and subtlety of some of the story lines in STNG, especially some of the two-parters, (a number of which are far better than any of the movies in terms of complex plot and nuance), and also some of the lengthy story arcs (the political Klingon stuff was brilliant, for example, and indeed, the Borg story) the narrative arcs of which ran over several years of the series.

I love ST:TNG, one of my favorites of all time.

Mine too.

Last edited:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Speaking of Star Trek, my wife and I watched a rom-com on TV called "This Means War". We were surprisingly entertained by the movie, but we're simple people. ;)

It starred the actor who plays young Kirk in the newest Star Trek movies. Him, and the actor who plays Bane.

It also stars Resse Witherspoon's butt.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm watching 1955 The Night Of The Hunter (again)...a truly remarkable film. The only film directed by Charles Laughton...a shame because it is a remarkable piece of direction. Cinematography is exceptional, Robert Mitchum's performance is at it's creepiest...without over playing.

A truly notable, must see film.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm watching 1955 The Night Of The Hunter (again)...a truly remarkable film. The only film directed by Charles Laughton...a shame because it is a remarkable piece of direction. Cinematography is exceptional, Robert Mitchum's performance is at it's creepiest...without over playing.

I have not seen that movie, but I do recall - as teenager - watching TV one autumnal Friday night, and seeing (a sublime) Charles Laughton in the movie 'Witness For The Prosecution'.

I sat and watched, spellbound and utterly enthralled. Sheer, unadulterated class..I also dreamed of being a lawyer for a few years after that....

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I have not seen that movie, but I do recall - as teenager - watching TV one autumnal Friday night, and seeing (a sublime) Charles Laughton in the movie 'Witness For The Prosecution'.

I sat and watched, spellbound and utterly enthralled. Sheer, unadulterated class..I also dreamed of being a lawyer for a few years after that....

Based on Shrink's earlier recommendation to me, I am watching The Night of the Hunter (1955) right now.

A religious fanatic marries a gullible widow whose young children are reluctant to tell him where their real daddy hid $10,000 he'd stolen in a robbery.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 9.38.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-20 at 9.38.40 PM.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 213

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Watched a couple of comedies this past weekend:
22 Jump Street - It was alright. Some funny bits, but overall, not very funny.

Tammy - It was alright. Some funny bits, but overall, not very funny.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I, myself, have never seen that movie, but my mum saw it when it came out in the 1970s and loved it.
An amazing movie for people who appreciate Kubricks work.

Kubrick always went through insane lengths for his artpieces.
For Barry Lyndon he had one of his cameras modified to use a Zeiss 50mm f 0.7 he acquired in Germany. The fastest lens ever made. This made it possible to shoot at the authentic lighting conditions of the times - candlelight. Kubrick owned all his equipment, which is unheard of in the movie industry. This made it possible for him to make movies without depending on big studios.

Without tediously elaborating on it further:
I highly recommend this movie.
I've seen it several times myself and I am really sad that movies like this are not made anymore.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An amazing movie for people who appreciate Kubricks work.

Kubrick always went through insane lengths for his artpieces.
For Barry Lyndon he had one of his cameras modified to use a Zeiss 50mm f 0.7 he acquired in Germany.
This made it possible to shoot at the authentic lighting conditions of the times - candlelight.

Without tediously elaborating on it further:
I highly recommend this movie.
I've seen it several times myself and I am really sad that movies like this are not made anymore.

Thanks for those details - I hadn't known them. (The development/use of the modified Zeiss lens in the making of the movie is a fascinating detail).

I do remember my mum discussing the movie with great enthusiasm - and she liked 'quality' movies. I'll make a point of trying to get to see it in the next while; many thanks.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
We're the Millers (2013) with my favorite actress, Jennifer Aniston.
This one was really light and funny. :D

----------

Thanks for those details - I hadn't known them. (The development/use of the modified Zeiss lens in the making of the movie is a fascinating detail).

I do remember my mum discussing the movie with great enthusiasm - and she liked 'quality' movies. I'll make a point of trying to get to see it in the next while; many thanks.
All of Kubricks movies have details like that surrounding them. And they are all highly recommended.
99% of all movies, especially the ones made today, are just more or less well made entertainment.
Each of his movies is a unique artpiece.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My son and I got a chance to see a sneak peak of a movie that won't be released until October. It is called 23Blast. It is about football and the camp my son and I are attending showed it today. It was very good, I highly recommend it.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Pretty much everything David Lynch and Tarantino have done.

I have to admit that I couldnt sit through Inland Empire though. That was just way too much.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Two of my favorite directors. What about the Coen Brothers?
Thank you for mentioning those.
There is a few directors that have never really done a bad movie.

Another one in would be Terry Gilliam. The 14mm lens is sometimes called "The Gilliam".
Its very hard to make proper artisitc use of a 14mm. He really likes those crazy wide angles.
His movie "Brazil" is a masterpiece imo.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.