Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
California
I know the iPod touch is old but, I just got one engraved for my birthday (october 2013). I have iOS 8 beta 4 on it right now and it runs almost as good as iOS 7, just a little bit of folder lag sometimes. So I was wondering if the iPT 5 would get iOS 9, or any A5 powered iDevice at all! I would be really bummed/mad if it didn't, because it cost $300 brand new! I think it would, because they would have to drop so many devices, like the iPad 2 and 3, iPhone 4s, iPad mini 1st gen, and the iPod touch 5. That sucks because I have an iPad 2 and 3 and iPT 5 and iPhone 4s. I think it would get iOS 9, but not all the features that the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 would.

Last edited:

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
It's a difficult one to predict, if you look at what previous iPhone's got they usually get 3 major upgrades (iPhone 4 - iOS 4, 5, 6, 7) but the iPod touch is a bit different. Because it lags behind in technology (5th Gen was a year behind at release) to the iPhone it may well get the axe at iOS 9.

I could see them excluding all A5 devices from iOS 9, removes the last non-retina devices from the product line up and also the A6 is much more capable. The only device I could see maybe not being axed is the A5 iPad mini. But then that doesn't really alleviate any performance issues for Apple

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
California
It's a difficult one to predict, if you look at what previous iPhone's got they usually get 3 major upgrades (iPhone 4 - iOS 4, 5, 6, 7) but the iPod touch is a bit different. Because it lags behind in technology (5th Gen was a year behind at release) to the iPhone it may well get the axe at iOS 9.

I could see them excluding all A5 devices from iOS 9, removes the last non-retina devices from the product line up and also the A6 is much more capable. The only device I could see maybe not being axed is the A5 iPad mini. But then that doesn't really alleviate any performance issues for Apple

I think they might kill the iPod 5, iPhone 4s, First gen iPad mini, and iPad 2.

They might keep the iPad 3 because it has more ram than the iPod.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I think they might kill the iPod 5, iPhone 4s, First gen iPad mini, and iPad 2.

They might keep the iPad 3 because it has more ram than the iPod.

I thought it had 512MB also?

It's an interesting question. I kind of think the A9/third gen iOS platform will be dumped after iOS 8...lets them use 1GB RAM on iOS 9 and a bit more CPU power. Third gen platform's been around since 2011, which would be 4 years. It SHOULD be supported, but geez, they dumped the iPad 1 what, by 2013? 2012?

Also remember not to use an unsupported device for web browsing/email and the like. Using it for kind of walled garden apps like Kindle, media playback, Netflix, etc. is probably fine (for as long as they're supported).

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
California
I thought it had 512MB also?

It's an interesting question. I kind of think the A9/third gen iOS platform will be dumped after iOS 8...lets them use 1GB RAM on iOS 9 and a bit more CPU power. Third gen platform's been around since 2011, which would be 4 years. It SHOULD be supported, but geez, they dumped the iPad 1 what, by 2013? 2012?

Also remember not to use an unsupported device for web browsing/email and the like. Using it for kind of walled garden apps like Kindle, media playback, Netflix, etc. is probably fine (for as long as they're supported).

The iPad 3 has 1gb of ram shown here and here.

I think the iPad 3 is the only A5 device that might support iOS 9, unless they give iOS 9 to the other A5 devices like they gave the iPhone 4 iOS 7.

Last edited:

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006

I think the iPad 3 is the only A5 device that might support iOS 8, unless they give iOS 8 to the other A5 devices like they gave the iPhone 4 iOS 7.

Huh, I really did not know that. Well it certainly needs it, but geez, that means they've left it at 1GB for three years now.

Ironically Apple's the only (ARM based) company that COULD have a tablet with 4GB...

nthrugandma

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
me too,spent 300$ for mine also. Only it was like two years ago. It's showing it's age. thanks
eW6

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010

I think the iPad 3 is the only A5 device that might support iOS 8, unless they give iOS 8 to the other A5 devices like they gave the iPhone 4 iOS 7.

Apple already said that the iPad 2, and 1 gen iPad Mini are getting iOS 8. The only device I know of not getting iOS 8 is the iPhone 4.

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
California
Apple already said that the iPad 2, and 1 gen iPad Mini are getting iOS 8. The only device I know of not getting iOS 8 is the iPhone 4.

Sorry! I made a huge typo. That is supposed to be "I think the iPad 3 is the only A5 device that might support iOS 9." Sorry for the confusion! I already know iOS 8 is on other A5 devices since I have it on my iPhone 4s and iPod 5 and iPad 3.

Last edited:

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sorry! I made a huge typo. That is supposed to be "I think the iPad 3 is the only A5 device that might support iOS 9." Sorry for the confusion! I already know iOS 8 is on other A5 devices since I have it on my iPhone 4s and iPod 5 and iPad 3.

Ok got it thanks for that update

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I know the iPod touch is old but, I just got one engraved for my birthday (october 2013). I have iOS 8 beta 4 on it right now and it runs almost as good as iOS 7, just a little bit of folder lag sometimes. So I was wondering if the iPT 5 would get iOS 9, or any A5 powered iDevice at all! I would be really bummed/mad if it didn't, because it cost $300 brand new! I think it would, because they would have to drop so many devices, like the iPad 2 and 3, iPhone 4s, iPad mini 1st gen, and the iPod touch 5. That sucks because I have an iPad 2 and 3 and iPT 5 and iPhone 4s. I think it would get iOS 9, but not all the features that the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 would.

I'm going to guess that iOS 9 will not support A5 devices. The first generation iPad mini and the iPad 2 both run iOS 7 barely adequately. The iPhone 4S and the fifth gen iPod touch run iOS 7 a bit better (probably due to the fewer amount of pixels pushed among other reasons), but even so, it is noticably slower than the A6 of the iPhone 5/5c and the A7 of the iPhone 5s. I wouldn't be shocked if all A5 devices were left out of iOS 9. I could see the third generation iPad getting a stay of execution, at that point, due to its 1GB of RAM, but I suppose they could go the other way there too.

Bear in mind that for a 64GB iOS device, $300 is pretty cheap. Hell, even refurbished, you can't get a 64GB first generation iPad mini or iPad 2 for that cost. Do I agree that it ought to be cheaper, especially if you can't get iOS 9 on it? Absolutely. But given things being what they are, that's not a RELATIVELY bad price.

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
California
I'm going to guess that iOS 9 will not support A5 devices. The first generation iPad mini and the iPad 2 both run iOS 7 barely adequately. The iPhone 4S and the fifth gen iPod touch run iOS 7 a bit better (probably due to the fewer amount of pixels pushed among other reasons), but even so, it is noticably slower than the A6 of the iPhone 5/5c and the A7 of the iPhone 5s. I wouldn't be shocked if all A5 devices were left out of iOS 9. I could see the third generation iPad getting a stay of execution, at that point, due to its 1GB of RAM, but I suppose they could go the other way there too.

Bear in mind that for a 64GB iOS device, $300 is pretty cheap. Hell, even refurbished, you can't get a 64GB first generation iPad mini or iPad 2 for that cost. Do I agree that it ought to be cheaper, especially if you can't get iOS 9 on it? Absolutely. But given things being what they are, that's not a RELATIVELY bad price.

Mine is a 32GB, I paid $300 for it. So $300 for 32GB isn't cheap.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Mine is a 32GB, I paid $300 for it. So $300 for 32GB isn't cheap.

Relative to the cost of a 32GB iPhone, a 32GB iPad mini (either 1st generation refurbed or 2nd generation new/refurbed), or any 32GB iPad (of any generation), that's cheap. Relative to how much money it costs, I'll agree with you. But comparing it to other iOS devices of similar capacity (and, hell, with the same CPU in tow), it is cheap.

That being said, that is no longer the price; it is now $250 new and $200 refurbed, so talking about it being $300 today is moot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.