Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all:

So, I'm incredibly new to digital video. I've posked around a bit with very basic intro software (iMovie) and made a few videos, but am still on the front side of the learning curve. I'm trying to learn some things to help at my church.

Often I'll go to other churches and during a corporate time of singing they'll be projecting words onto a screen. We do that too. However, many places have video backgrounds. Not generic video of waterfalls and sunrises, but video of what appears to be vector artwork. More "graphic design" feel than "stock footage" feel.

I know we'd need to move to a different presentation platform to insitute thee kind of things, however, I'm wondering how these types of things are typically made. Which programs can produce this type of medium? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know it is super vague, but it's hard to explain as I haven't learned the right terms yet! Thanks!

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
On the PC platform -> Mediashout.
On Mac ... can't remember, but there are good ones.

Why would you use one of these programs over Power Point ...?
I use Mediashout. The video "loop" is sort of separate from the text. So when you change the text, i.e. verse 1 to verse 2 for example, the video continues smoothly. This is not the case with Power Point.
Hope that helps.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Yep, I've actually heard that Keynote will allow video in the background, so perhaps it will be a good option.

I'm actually just wondering how those videos are generally made.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Yep, I've actually heard that Keynote will allow video in the background, so perhaps it will be a good option.

They can be made with Motion (if you want to stay in the Apple Family) or After Effects

Or you can purchase them from a place like http://www.motionloops.com/ (which has them in categories - and you can even download free weekly loops)

pinholestars

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I'm the technical director at a church, and I made a bunch in Motion. It's not that hard to learn, and the backgrounds themselves are usually pretty simple to make. Whenever we need videos that I can't make we use worshiphousemedia.com. They have videos as well as motion backgrounds for sale. If you need help or whatever, let me know. Happy to help!

Just FYI: A couple good communities for help with stuff like this are the churchm.ag and Church Tech communities on Google+. Lots of good info available.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Yes Keynote allows this. It is really easy. That said I bet most of this is done using Apples' Motion app. Motion is only $50 but has a steep learning curve

But it would be easier in Keynote. Not sure if the free web-based version would work but give that a try first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.