Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrmurp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
I have never had a problem with my mac, but recently I was surfing the internet, and the screen seemed to freeze. I powered it off by holding the power button until it turned off, then tried to turn it back on. the apple screen came up, then the rotating wheel, then a grey progress bar at the bottom. The progress bar loads a few centimeters, then the whole thing just turns itself on. Someone advised popping out the memory and reinserting it, but that did not work. I have attached a link to a video of what it is doing, please let me know if anybody knows what could be wrong and how I could fix it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15260662/iMac.mov

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hard to say from what you showed there. As I was watching I was thinking it was a bad drive, but then the screen switched off and that made me think something else is going on. A bad drive would just sit there grey all day and never boot, but would not switch off like that.

Could be a more serious issue with the logic board.

Do you have the original installer discs that came with it? If you do, try to run the Apple Hardware Test and see if that shows anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.