Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Have you just beamed in from 2004? The 5S is a tiny phone. It's really, really small by today's standards. Small, thin and super-light.

You can probably pick one of these 8210 models up on Ebay. Retro too for the hipsters.

[url=http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/sunking101/80A05DEC-0083-4D96-9722-F84796E4AE73.jpg]Image[/URL]

After playing with android phones and seeing the ugly mockups of the iphone 6, I realize the really, really small tiny phone is a perfect size for us.

I say us, because this size thing seems to painted in broad strokes as in this is too tiny for all of "us".

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
After playing with android phones and seeing the ugly mockups of the iphone 6, I realize the really, really small tiny phone is a perfect size for us.

I say us, because this size thing seems to painted in broad strokes as in this is too tiny for all of "us".

It all depends on what you use your phone for, or how you use it. I have no problem with people preferring the 5/5S form factor over the upcoming i6 (and Android behemoths), but when I hear that the 5S is too big then I stop being so sympathetic. If someone thinks the 5S is too big, then they really don't need a smartphone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You'll find it to be long/tall for about a week or so. Then your 4S will feel short and stubby.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It all depends on what you use your phone for, or how you use it. I have no problem with people preferring the 5/5S form factor over the upcoming i6 (and Android behemoths), but when I hear that the 5S is too big then I stop being so sympathetic. If someone thinks the 5S is too big, then they really don't need a smartphone.

Why is it so hard to understand that it is hard for some people to reach the top of the screen with their thumb? The 4S is the perfect size. The 5S is unnecessarily longer.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Why is it so hard to understand that it is hard for some people to reach the top of the screen with their thumb? The 4S is the perfect size. The 5S is unnecessarily longer.

Shift your grip a little, I do it all the time. When you say that the 4S is "the perfect size" you are basically speaking for yourself. The 4S is tiny, heavy and brick-like. You are used to it, that's all.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I can understand a larger device is more difficult for some to use. However I wouldn't say its "unnecessarily longer" considering its now a standard size 16:9 so videos fit on the screen. A .5" bump increased video size around 1".

If anything the 3.5" was unnecessarily small.

jjfad

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
I just switched from a 4S to a 5C. It's a little bigger but still one hand operable. The fact that they are the same width (so your thumb has less distance to travel to the opposite side) helps a lot.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I just switched from a 4S to a 5C. It's a little bigger but still one hand operable. The fact that they are the same width (so your thumb has less distance to travel to the opposite side) helps a lot.

How about reaching the top?

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Try it for yourself and then decide. If someone will let you borrow their phone for an extended trial, that would be ideal. Otherwise, you can try T-Mobile's free 7-day test drive, and see if you find the ergonomics disagreeable enough to remove the 5c/s from consideration.

The 4" form factor is not as easy a reach for my thumb between the home button to the top corners, but it is still manageable. The 3.5" form factor allowed for easy reach from the home button to all corners of the screen, without having to adjust the grip. For me, the 4" screen is not as comfortable if I want to access all parts of the screen and hit the home button in one motion, but not so much that it would be a dealbreaker.

jjfad

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
With the iPhone 4 I developed a carry grip where the phone is basically half in my hand and the base rests in the center of my palm. I could reach the top of the screen for functions that required doing so. With the iPhone 5 I have to keep repositioning the phone so that it rests fully in my hand like all of those photos show. It's a little annoying. If there were a 3.5" iPhone 5 I would have purchased that in a heartbeat.

jjfad

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
How about reaching the top?

I can't really reach the top but that's probably because of the way the phone is positioned in my hand. At baseline I hold the phone with the base in the center of my palm and my thumb reached to about the midpoint of the screen or sometimes 1/3 of the distance from the top. I don't like holding the phone as in the photos above (entire phone is central in my palm) because I find that teaching for areas of the screen at the bottom is a pain.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I can use my i5 completely one-handed when in portrait mode. The size has never been an issue. I could go bigger (and still use one hand) quite comfortably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.