Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
DMG (30.9MB) is still corrupted

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/cuda_6_0/cudadriver_6.0.54_macos.dmg

ScreenCap%202014-07-17%20at%2008.43.23.jpg

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Should be plug-and-play, no worries at all. You won't get a boot screen as discussed in the OP, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Beautiful little card. Very rare in that it has Dual MDP ports so you can run 2 @ ACDs.

We do an EFI version, sent Barefeats a pair for testing, pretty sure he published.

RPJones

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks for the replies

I'm glad to hear it should work. I do like the 2 mini-display ports. And the smaller size may help for heat in the Mac. Very few seem available here in town (Toronto), but I've found one for 295 CDN (250-ish US), so I'm shopping tomorrow.

I'm not too worried about no EFI = no boot screen. So long as all works once booted, I'm happy. Need that CUDA.

So big thanks to all 3 so far that responded with advice.

RPJones

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Follow up on MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming ITX 2GB

Dropped in the card on the 3,1 this morning and it booted fine. I did update the Nvidia driver and Cuda. I'd forgotten I hadn't upped from 10.9.3 to .4 (the machine stood idle until I put the temp old vid card in, so I missed the update.

I think then I updated the drivers again and all was good there.

Also, I did need to pop into Terminal to add the 760 to the supported card list in both AE and Premiere. I found this link as a guide, and it was pretty simple.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-cs6-ae-cs6-gtx-660ti-other-nvidia-cards.html

Anyway, just wanted to drop that info for anyone thinking of doing the same thing.

coredump4

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
northern VA, USA
For what it's worth, here are my experiences upgrading a friend's MP 3,1 (2008) running Mavericks 10.9.3. Both these cards are commodity PC cards with stock PC BIOSes:

Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti (GF114), model GV-N560OC-1GI: Not stable at all. Multiple issues, including: occasionally lose video output entirely, even when the screensaver is not activated and machine is not asleep; constant crashing/hanging in FCPX. Upgrading to Nvidia web drivers made it more stable, but the 2nd DVI quit working and it can never be awoken from sleep. Summary: basic nightmare.

EVGA GTX 650 (GK107) "SuperClocked", model 01G-P4-2652-KR: Exhibited same inability to wake from sleep using Nvidia's drivers, but works perfectly with the built-in 10.9.3 driver. No sleep issues, no loss of video output, no FCPX crashing. 10.9.4 seems to be stable as well.

HTH!

Last edited:

Kolvir

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Iowa
Has there been any success in getting any card to run under windows using PCIe 2?

One of the reasons I want a new card is for gaming and other uses while booted in windows 7. I need dual monitor support too. I have a 4,1.
Sorry if this has been mentioned before; this thread is extremely difficult to search.

Kolvir

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Iowa
Nvidia cards need to be flashed to fix this. Each model has required a different mod to turn it on.

Is there a guide on how to do this somewhere? Also, How do you tell what speed or protocol (PCIe 1 vs 2) a card is running at?

Say I buy a GTX 760. It would work out of the box at PCIe 2 on 10.9.4 out of the box, but it would need to be flashed to get PCIe 2 under windows, right?

I've also had difficulty in figuring out the power cable needed. The photo on amazon shows a 8 pin to two 6 pin connectors. I'm not sure what I need here. Can I hook this up straight to two six pin connectors in the Mac or do I need a low profile adapter? Or, does this card need an external power source? That would be bad.

I hope to buy a card in the next few days, I appreciate any help.

I should mention that I have been looking at EVGA GeForce GTX760 at Amazon and it is from photos of the box contents that had me wondering about the correct power cable.

Last edited:

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Is there a guide on how to do this somewhere? Also, How do you tell what speed or protocol (PCIe 1 vs 2) a card is running at?

Say I buy a GTX 760. It would work out of the box at PCIe 2 on 10.9.4 out of the box, but it would need to be flashed to get PCIe 2 under windows, right?

I've also had difficulty in figuring out the power cable needed. The photo on amazon shows a 8 pin to two 6 pin connectors. I'm not sure what I need here. Can I hook this up straight to two six pin connectors in the Mac or do I need a low profile adapter? Or, does this card need an external power source? That would be bad.

I hope to buy a card in the next few days, I appreciate any help.

I should mention that I have been looking at EVGA GeForce GTX760 at Amazon and it is from photos of the box contents that had me wondering about the correct power cable.

Yes that should work out of the box, plug-n-play. You will need the two 6 pin cables, but beware; if it comes with some, they may not work. If you have existing cables in your Mac, use those. If not, post #1 here has links for what you need.

Also, yes on the PCIe speeds in Mac vs. windows

Kolvir

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Iowa
Also, yes on the PCIe speeds in Mac vs. windows

Is it because the Mac Pro does not have BIOS that the card runs at PCIe 1 under windows?

How do I flash it as mentioned above to get it to run under windows at PCIe 2? Will it effect the card when booted into OS X if I do flash it?

Thanks for the help, I have wanted a new card for quite some time and am excited about finally getting one.

antonioc

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
MP 3.1 Gtx 650 and Parallels/Virtualbox emulation SL

Hello
I'm considering to finally upgrade from Snow Leopard to ML and to get a GTX 650 2Gb on my MP 3.1. Just some questions for you:

- For some software I need Rosetta so I'll install Parallels or Virtualbox to emulate Snow Leopard server, does the GTX 650 card work for emulation?

- emulating Windows under Parallels or Virtualbox too?

- sometimes I need to use Final Cut, does the GTX 650 card work for it?

- Is it better a 1 Gb 650 Ti or a 2 Gb not Ti?

Thanks

Last edited:

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Hello
I'm considering to finally upgrade from Snow Leopard to ML and to get a GTX 650 2Gb on my MP 3.1. Just some questions for you:

- For some software I need Rosetta so I'll install Parallels or Virtualbox to emulate Snow Leopard server, does the GTX 650 card work for emulation?

- emulating Windows under Parallels or Virtualbox too?

- sometimes I need to use Final Cut, does the GTX 650 card work for it?

- Is it better a 1 Gb 650 Ti or a 2 Gb not Ti?

Thanks

1) I would think the card would work just fine for emulation.

2) Yes, this works for FCP, just install the CUDA driver as well.

3) Hmm... I would think the 2GB not Ti would be a better choice. You can get a 2GB Ti for about the same price anyway.

ncg

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
For UK folks.

This works, perfectly. GTX 760 in a mac pro 4.1 (2.66, 2009)

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...hz-gddr5-gpu-1072mhz-boost-1137mhz-cores-1152

It uses two 6Pin power connections. Cables available here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291172651139?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I installed the Nvidia drivers for 10.9.4 listed on the first post before I installed the card but you don't need to.

I don't have Win 8 installed at the moment so can't test but I'll post back when I can.

Pretty quiet card too.

Last edited:

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Hmm... still behaving weird under 10.9.4; After rebooting from windows, it boots fine, then about ~2 minutes into operation, it reboots again. I'm going to try the stock drivers until 10.9.5 or the next NVidia patch...

Kolvir

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Iowa
I'm getting an update needed box every time I boot into os X, even though I have the latest CUDA drivers. The latest driver came out on 7/29 and it is the one listed that I have installed. Any way to make it go away? I've told the Nvidia preferences not to check for updates and it didn't help.

Attachments

• CUDA.jpg
    CUDA.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 94

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^You don't have the latest Cuda Driver. Scroll up this page and look at my Post #1479.

Lou

antonioc

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
After a few days of usage I'm quite disappointed of Gtx 650 Ti 2 gb performance on my Mac Pro 3.1 (2x2.8 Ghz with 10 Gb Ram, 250 Gb SSD, OsX 10.8.5).
CUDA Driver Version: 6.0.54
GPU driver Version 8.16.78 310.40.00.20f04

With the old Ati 5450 I never had a lag with InDesign CS 6, now every time I move an image o resize a window I must wait for redraw.

Watching a Flash low definition video in Chrome, fun starts after a few seconds (with 5450 it never happened).

I must use this card because I need to use now Mac Os X 10.8.x (the 5450 doens't work with it). I'm not happy at all

Last edited:

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
After a few days of usage I'm quite disappointed of Gtx 650 Ti 2 gb performance on my Mac Pro 3.1 (2x2.8 Ghz with 10 Gb Ram, 250 Gb SSD, OsX 10.8.5).
CUDA Driver Version: 6.0.54
GPU driver Version 8.16.78 310.40.00.20f04

With the old Ati 5450 I never had a lag with InDesign CS 6, now every time I move an image o resize a window I must wait for redraw.

Watching a Flash low definition video in Chrome, fun starts after a few seconds (with 5450 it never happened).

I must use this card because I need to use now Mac Os X 10.8.x (the 5450 doens't work with it). I'm not happy at all

Why don't you try a more recent OS with newer drivers? Mavericks is free, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.