Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Just to make the point: this is a thread with lots of people saying "I've lost something that I used to have in the clipboard."

Now go to the threads saying "Why doesn't Apple offer Cut in the Finder?".

Yes, the clipboard is terrible 1970s and should be revamped for the modern computing era. But for the moment, not being able to hold the only copy of a file in there is a good thing.

Dzinegrl

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
What worked for me

Hi Slug420, I see you've posted a bit about retrieving past clipboard entries. I f###d up and some how lost some things 4/5 &4/6 that I had copied briefly to my clipboard to paste into word for word count info. Can I see those clips? I have done little cutting and pasting since then. See Clyppan, jump cut, ClipMenu & inventive.us/cliplite, but cannot tell if they can access history prior to installation or only going forward. Any thoughts you have would be most helpful. Am running OXS Lion. Best, elizabeth.@earthlink.net thank you

I just reached this thread because I had a similar problem and needed a solution for a cut I failed to paste before I cut new stuff. I also needed history prior to installing any of these apps. It seems easy now and I don't know why I didn't think of it before but, it actually worked. After I didn't find a solution here I went back to my doc. I had only completed 2 or 3 new cuts before I realized what I'd done. I was using Text Edit and I just clicked 'Undo Typing' (Command Z) in the Edit menu several times and was able to go back in my document and find what I had lost. I had a large file I had been working on so I was elated. I hope this helps.

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
And now that a couple more years have gone by and OS X has been through some dramatic changes... Here we are at Yosemite and the question is still unanswered:
  • Can we recover lost clipboard data without previously having one of these apps installed?
  • Does OS X keep any kind of log or not?

greenvomit8

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I've just tried CopyClip which appears to do what I need and is very lightweight which I like.
It's free and available from the Apple App store.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
And now that a couple more years have gone by and OS X has been through some dramatic changes... Here we are at Yosemite and the question is still unanswered:
  • Can we recover lost clipboard data without previously having one of these apps installed?
  • Does OS X keep any kind of log or not?
Has this ever been answered?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.