Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teralpar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
I want to purchase a MacBook Pro Retina in September, mainly for school, but I don't have many classes left (only 8 before I graduate) so it will be used for other activities since I plan to keep it for at least 4+ years. While I was checking it out at Best Buy today, the salesperson asked what I would be using the MBP for and I told him for school, he said that MacBooks weren't all that great for school and that there were other laptops he could show me that we're more suitable. I wasn't interested...I have my mind made up as I definitely want a MBP. However, I'm just curious as to why he would say that.

To those of you that use your MBP for school, what do you think? Is the MBP as easy to use as a PC when it comes to class work? Do your classes require Microsoft Office programs such as Word, PowerPoint, etc.? If so, how would you rate Microsoft Office for Macs?

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
I want to purchase a MacBook Pro Retina in September, mainly for school, but I don't have many classes left (only 8 before I graduate) so it will be used for other activities since I plan to keep it for at least 4+ years. While I was checking it out at Best Buy today, the salesperson asked what I would be using the MBP for and I told him for school, he said that MacBooks weren't all that great for school and that there were other laptops he could show me that we're more suitable. I wasn't interested...I have my mind made up as I definitely want a MBP. However, I'm just curious as to why he would say that.

To those of you that use your MBP for school, what do you think? Is the MBP as easy to use as a PC when it comes to class work? Do your classes require Microsoft Office programs such as Word, PowerPoint, etc.? If so, how would you rate Microsoft Office for Macs?

it is 100% as easy to use for school as a PC unless your running windows only engineering/other intense programs . word works perfectly fine and i can't rate it since its pretty much the same thing as word on a PC. if you plan to buy a mac don't buy from bestbuy , buy from this website ; you get discount , no tax(unless you live NY or NJ) , and free apple care for 3 years (if you buy from adorama with the coupon code ); http://prices.appleinsider.com/#applecare ... its a hell of a deal you don't want to miss :D

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California

That best buy sales person lied to you. MBP are AMAZING for school. Amazing battery life, lightweight, amazing screen, amazing keyboard, and can do OSX,Windows, and Linux on the same machine.

You can easily run Windows and/or Ubuntu or any Linux with a Virtual Machine such as VMware fusion or Parallels (I use Parallels and it runs great). If you need heavy graphics for gaming or something then run Windows via bootcamp.

Microsoft Office for Mac is pretty darn good.

P.S running Windows via Virtual Machine has better battery life than most Windows laptops.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think many people have successfully used MBPs for school, though it depends on your needs, and software you'll be running.

I'd rate MS office for the Mac to be pretty bad, compared to the current version of what's out there for windows. I much prefer windows office over the mac but with that said, I think the MBP is a great choice for school.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

The MacBook Pro is a great machine that is untouched by mostly any PC in terms of usability, aesthetics, and functionality. Microsoft Office for Mac has always been a little brother to the Windows version, but for most any college class it is more than plenty. You will only really begin to notice major differences in really complex and high end stuff.

The reason that the Best Buy clerk tried to steer you away can be a couple of reasons. He could be a die-hard PC guy, a total schmuck who has no clue what he is talking about, a combination of both, or someone who gains a larger commission on PCs. In my honest opinion, the only machines that come close to a MacBook Pro is a high end ThinkPad.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
When I was in school I took my Macbook everyday with me.
In the first year I had Windows installed for AutoCAD but then AutoCAD was released for OS X and I deleted the Windows partition.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas

Look around your campus, if it's anything like mine, you see a sea of MacBook's with the Apple logo shining. It's a wonderful machine for school and everything else as well.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

The sales drone lied to you because he makes more commission selling you the other laptop.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Unless you are going into engineering or similar field, pretty much any computer, be it mac or PC is going to be fine for the needs of a college student. Netflix, Youtube and MS Office don't require much of any computer and it's all a matter of preference as to what you get. You obviously want a Mac and it will more than serve your purposes.

teralpar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
I appreciate everyone's responses. I figured that the MBP would be fine for school. I am an Accounting major and will not have to take any Engineering or AutoCAD courses. I only have 8 courses left to complete which include Business Communications, Project Management, Humanities, Business Stats, and a couple more Accounting courses. I will mainly be using it for writing papers and accessing my courses as most if not all of my classes will be online.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Civil Engineering Major here, first 2 years I used a 2012 15" cMBP and it served me well. It was powerful, though a little bit heavy to carry around everywhere which is why I now have a base late 2013 15" rMBP. Plus, a Mac runs both OS X and Windows natively so I see no reason to go for a PC unless you really want one.

It depends on what your needs are. If you need the power, then the portability of an Ultrabook or MacBook Air is out of the question regardless. Plus, just the principle that this is a free country, and that if you wanted a fully loaded 12-Core Mac Pro just to look at facebook without lag, it is your right to do so.

For your use case, a 13" rMBP would work fine, plus you would appreciate how AMAZING typography looks on the display when writing, doing excel, etc.

Last edited:

bmclaurin

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I appreciate everyone's responses. I figured that the MBP would be fine for school. I am an Accounting major and will not have to take any Engineering or AutoCAD courses. I only have 8 courses left to complete which include Business Communications, Project Management, Humanities, Business Stats, and a couple more Accounting courses. I will mainly be using it for writing papers and accessing my courses as most if not all of my classes will be online.
I have worked at one of the "Big 4" accounting firms for over 20 years, and I can tell you that in the corporate world, the Windows version of Office is the undisputed champion of the workplace. I use a Windows laptop at work, but at home it's all Apple. I have always been disappointed at Microsoft's Mac implementation of Office. There's almost no comparison, as the Windows version is hands down the best user experience.

If you can justify the cost, IMO the absolute best Excel experience is running the Windows version in a VM on a 15" MBPr. Stunning is the best way I can describe it. Looking at all those large spreadsheets with tiny numbers on the 15" Retina screen is liberating. I have decent vision, but it was like I had just had cataracts removed from my eyes. I couldn't believe how relieving it was on my eyes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.