Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appletv-e1382101627468.png
The Apple TV may gain a new FXNOW channel that includes Simpsons World content, according to TV writer Jason Lynch who tweeted the news yesterday (via iLounge). Lynch said the FXNOW channel will come to the Apple TV, Roku, and other devices within the next 12 months.

FXNOW is the on-demand portion of the FX, FXX, and FXM television channels, all of which are owned by the Fox Entertainment Group. The FXNOW Apple TV channel will reportedly include content from The Simpsons, branded Simpsons World, which offers all 552 episodes of The Simpsons along with additional content. Simpsons World, debuting in October, will allow fans to search for and watch any episode or clip of The Simpsons on demand on FXNOW.

According to reports, Simpsons World will also allow users to create playlists of episodes and share favorite scenes, features that will likely make their way to the Apple TV version of the channel. FXNOW with Simpsons World currently requires cable authentication and is limited to FXX subscribers, and the Apple TV version will require a cable subscription as well.

Currently, supported cable providers for the existing FXNOW channel include AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Cox, and Time-Warner. Simpsons World access will also be available through the FXNOW app for the iPad.

Article Link: FXNOW Channel With Simpsons World Content Coming to Apple TV

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
App Store!

Stop adding channels and let us pick for ourselves...don't understand why Apple allows this on the Mac/iPhone/iPad but not the Apple TV.

Makes NO SENSE.

Cool for the Simpsons, but of course you need a cable subscription. iTunes needs a new/tv show video streaming service. People would pay.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
GREAT! Oh wait it sucks for me because I have Charter Communications and still can not access HBO Go either, maybe if Apple was smart they would just add Amazon Prime already or start their own streaming service.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I agree, this is pointless for anyone interested in cutting the cable. It's even more annoying that I can't edit the 3 dozen icons that I'm not able to and will never use.

ironman159

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Costa Rica
At least in the States there is the possibility of someone using those 327834 new channels added every month to the Apple TV. I live in Costa Rica where the only app that works is Netflix and the rest are useless.

VeryVito

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
Sigh...

I've actually been weaning myself off the whole iTunes ecosystem lately in anticipation of the new set-top box I plan to buy this September (the ATV2 is getting long in the tooth). The only requirements I have are that it allow third-party apps and not force-feed me 24/7 Cricket News and a dozen lookalike "channels" that require me to have a cable subscription (if I had cable, what in #$@^%'s name would I need the apps for??).

It's really beginning to look like whatever my new box turns out to be, it's not likely to be "Designed in California by Apple."

It's a real shame that Apple has allowed its once-promising "hobby" to turn into a waste of a good HDMI input.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I agree, this is pointless for anyone interested in cutting the cable. It's even more annoying that I can't edit the 3 dozen icons that I'm not able to and will never use.

Wait what now? Are you sure? In settings, there is a place to show or hide the various channels that would appear on the :apple: TV.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
get over it

content owners aren't going to give up content for free. until there is a paid streaming package that apple offers up, you will not see major networks have apps without cable logins. I know we all want it but seriously it is time for people to wake up. Why would FX built an app for appleTV and have all their content available for free? Cable companies would lose subscribers which means FX would lose money.

Until there is enough traffic to convince advertisers to spend a lot on ads for streaming properties, networks will keep requiring a login.

----

you can hide apps in parental controls, stop whining about getting channels added that you might not like. hide them.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Any Simpsons episodes I would want to watch I have already ripped or downloaded due to them dragging their feet on this for so long. I imagine a large portion of their audience has as well.

if Apple was smart they would just add Amazon Prime already or start their own streaming service.

Amazon is likely refusing to give rights to Prime or asking entirely way too much for it since they have competing devices for the TV, tablets, and phones.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Too late. There's already a (probably illegal) site with every single Simpsons episode on it, plus there are DVDs.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Finally. I am glad for this news. But sadly it will probably say I can't use it even though my cable sub would meet the requirements. Happens with all the Channel apps.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
At this point, Apple TV is really a flawed product.
The "hobby" clearly needs more attention.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
It's an Internet channel; it's on-demand (and the ATV doesn't have a cable tuner). But allowing people to subscribe to the channel separately is apparently too sensible for Fox.

Fox already has agreements in place with cable/sat companies that paid them a LOT of money for rights to that content. You think the cable companies wouldn't balk at fox offering the same content for less to someone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.