Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superluigi6

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
I understand that there is already a thread about iOS 8 and the iPod touch 5G, but it didn't really say much about what I'm about to ask.

For anybody with iOS 8 on your iPod touch 5Gs, how is it? Does it lag a lot because it's outdated or just because it's a beta? Any features that aren't on the iPod touch but are on the iPads and iPhones?

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
IOS 8 beta 3 lags. There are noticeable delays when starting apps. I suspect this will improve before the Gold Master release.
I'm getting twice the battery life using iOS 8 beta 3 (four days of lite use running time instead of 2 days.)
The iPod Touch 5 is missing a few higher end features, such as auto-brightness and a compass.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
IOS 8 beta 3 lags. There are noticeable delays when starting apps. I suspect this will improve before the Gold Master release.
I'm getting twice the battery life using iOS 8 beta 3 (four days of lite use running time instead of 2 days.)
The iPod Touch 5 is missing a few higher end features, such as auto-brightness and a compass.

Double battery life? Wow!

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
I noticed my phone kept crashing at night; closing down some of the background apps helped as well. Battery life is actually good on both my iPod and the iPhone; maybe people run too many resources!

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
Auto brightness and compass / gps have never been there, since the actual hardware (ALS, compass chip and gps chip) is not present in the iPod touch 5. The iPod touch 1-4 had the ALS (Ambient Light Sensor) built in, and therefore auto-brightness did work on them.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Auto brightness and compass / gps have never been there, since the actual hardware (ALS, compass chip and gps chip) is not present in the iPod touch 5. The iPod touch 1-4 had the ALS (Ambient Light Sensor) built in, and therefore auto-brightness did work on them.

I didn't know for sure there was an ALS in some iDevices. I thought maybe the camera was being used as ALS. As soon as I started using my new iPT, then I realized. Odd they took it out but I guess it helped making it thinner? Not a big deal though. I find ALS often times more annoying than useful.

Lack of GPS sucks though - but I knew that going in.

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
California
I noticed when got my iPT 5 that it didn't have a ALS, I always had the option turned off on my old iPod 4, so it didn't really effect me. Anyways, I just updated to iOS 8 Beta 4 and I have endured a longer delay when opening apps. The opening/closing folder animation lags my iPod. I have a better battery life too on my iPod, which was weird for a beta. I do like the new Tips app and Control Center on Beta 4. Hopefully they fix all the lag with newer betas. Beta 3 was faster than Beta 4 for me, so beware when you update to beta 4.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I noticed when got my iPT 5 that it didn't have a ALS, I always had the option turned off on my old iPod 4, so it didn't really effect me. Anyways, I just updated to iOS 8 Beta 4 and I have endured a longer delay when opening apps. The opening/closing folder animation lags my iPod. I have a better battery life too on my iPod, which was weird for a beta. I do like the new Tips app and Control Center on Beta 4. Hopefully they fix all the lag with newer betas. Beta 3 was faster than Beta 4 for me, so beware when you update to beta 4.

How does it feel if you turn off the animations? I always turn off as much Apple lets me.

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
California
I hope that's not a bad sign. Meaning I hope Apple doesn't forget about us iPoders - especially now that we're like 1% of sales now.

I have an iP5 and an iP5s, but at home my IPT5 is my go to device. It's my mini tablet!

I really hope they didn't make it slow on purpose, just to make us buy the iPod 6. I am restarting it right now to see if the slowness goes away.

My main device is my iPad 3 because I use it for work. My iPod is my go to device too, because my iPT is usually close to me, while my iPhone and iPad are across the house.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I really hope they didn't make it slow on purpose, just to make us buy the iPod 6. I am restarting it right now to see if the slowness goes away.

My main device is my iPad 3 because I use it for work. My iPod is my go to device too, because my iPT is usually close to me, while my iPhone and iPad are across the house.

Even if there is an iPod 6, which I'm beginning to doubt, I kind of don't really want it. For me the greatest appeal of the iPT5 is it's small size and incredible cuteness. It can just follow me all over the house when I'm doing stuff with zero inconvenience factor. I super hope they optimize iOS 8 for us to keep it at least as spiffy as iOS 7.1.2 runs on it now, and hopefully spiffier.

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
California
Even if there is an iPod 6, which I'm beginning to doubt, I kind of don't really want it. For me the greatest appeal of the iPT5 is it's small size and incredible cuteness. It can just follow me all over the house when I'm doing stuff with zero inconvenience factor. I super hope they optimize iOS 8 for us to keep it at least as spiffy as iOS 7.1.2 runs on it now, and hopefully spiffier.

I agree about the small size, I like it because it is thin enough for me put in my pocket and not notice it as I go through the house. It's also the perfect size to use with one hand.

After I restarted I saw a big improvement of performance, it nows runs as good, if not better with beta 4 than with beta 3. Still not as good as iOS 7.1.2, but Apple is getting there.

On an unrelated topic, when I restarted my iPod and I got a warning saying that "iPod touch requires your passcode after restarting". It's the same message that appears when you restart an iPhone 5s. It won't let me access the camera, just leads to the passcode, and Notification and Control Center is also disabled. I couldn't take a screenshot because if I tried the iPod would crash/respring. But once I entered the passcode everything was back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.