Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'm not so sure why official Samsung branded replacement batteries are so hard to find in stores. I hate ordering on line if I don't have to. Most stores don't even sell replacement smartphone batteries period. Just a rant but you'd think as a highly advertised feature they would be easier to find. /rant

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
They are hard to find, because they're not sold in stores. The only way to but replaceable batteries are at http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories, best buy.com....etc. Only available online.

That's not entirely true. Frys does sell the Samsung branded ones in store but they were out. There another place close by called "Batteries Plus" that sells a different brand, but not Samsung branded. I was just frustrated earlier today by the lack of availability in a large city such as Houston.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Do they not sell them on the Samsung experience stores?

I've got one near me bit I just order mine online they are cheaper anyway.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Does Bestbuy have them, since they typically have a samsung store inside of them?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Do they not sell them on the Samsung experience stores?

I've got one near me bit I just order mine online they are cheaper anyway.

Does Bestbuy have them, since they typically have a samsung store inside of them?
Surprisingly no they don't. I just find it shocking that since Samsung is going to tout the removable battery as a feature, that they would actually sell the removable batteries in store.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I'm not so sure why official Samsung branded replacement batteries are so hard to find in stores. I hate ordering on line if I don't have to. Most stores don't even sell replacement smartphone batteries period. Just a rant but you'd think as a highly advertised feature they would be easier to find. /rant

I agree with you there. I bought an Anker battery. Excellent, and massive capacity.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
B&M stores should not complain about online competition when they don't stock the kind of things people need on hand immediately.

It's not just batteries.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
B&M stores should not complain about online competition when they don't stock the kind of things people need on hand immediately.

It's not just batteries.

I agree wholeheartedly. I prefer to shop local always, but sometimes I have no choice but to buy online.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Bad Experience at a Samsung Store

Here's my experience buying a replacement battery for my Galaxy S3:

I walk into a Samsung store. I ask to buy a replacement battery. They say they don't stock it and that I should buy it through their web site. So I go onto the Samsung website and did a search and could not find it. I went to a different Samsung store and ask for a replacement battery and said I checked the web site and could not find it. They then told me that it's not on their regular web site. I had to go to the Samsung Parts Canada web site instead. I go on this web site and couldn't find it. I called the toll-free number shown on the web site and they told me they didn't have any in my region (Metro Vancouver). :mad:

I eventually just did a Google search and found a web site that sold an extended battery for the GS3. I bought my battery from that web site and I'm happy now. :D

I never seem to find anything I need at the Samsung store. I once wanted to buy a car mount for my GS3. I wanted just the mount. They only had the whole kit with car charger and all which I didn't need. I ended up getting a generic mount at The Source.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

I walk into a Samsung store. I ask to buy a replacement battery. They say they don't stock it and that I should buy it through their web site. So I go onto the Samsung website and did a search and could not find it. I went to a different Samsung store and ask for a replacement battery and said I checked the web site and could not find it. They then told me that it's not on their regular web site. I had to go to the Samsung Parts Canada web site instead. I go on this web site and couldn't find it. I called the toll-free number shown on the web site and they told me they didn't have any in my region (Metro Vancouver). :mad:

I eventually just did a Google search and found a web site that sold an extended battery for the GS3. I bought my battery from that web site and I'm happy now. :D

I never seem to find anything I need at the Samsung store. I once wanted to buy a car mount for my GS3. I wanted just the mount. They only had the whole kit with car charger and all which I didn't need. I ended up getting a generic mount at The Source.
You in the US? As in UK mobile fun. Co. Uk is a great site for accessories

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Every model has a different battery size, most stores won't bother carrying them unless you have Samsung stores in your country. Just buy it online.

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013

I walk into a Samsung store. I ask to buy a replacement battery. They say they don't stock it and that I should buy it through their web site. So I go onto the Samsung website and did a search and could not find it.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EB-L1G6LLABXAR
Is this the one? I can easily find it on Samsung online store. I bought battery and flip cover for S4 there too.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
You in the US? As in UK mobile fun. Co. Uk is a great site for accessories

I'm in Canada.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EB-L1G6LLABXAR
Is this the one? I can easily find it on Samsung online store. I bought battery and flip cover for S4 there too.

I forgot what the Samsung website is. I think it was samsungpartscanada.com or something like that. Anyway, I went to some other web site and got the part there instead.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
There are a few reasons as to why this is not feasible.

What other smartphone manufacturer has batteries in stores in large numbers? What battery manufacturer sells batteries on the shelf? Answer: none. You might find some in a store here and there, but it's not something the majority of people are ever going to need or want. Sure, you'll get some people, but that's not enough to justify it.

Also, it implies that the batteries in their phones suck and need to be replaced often. Stores don't stock replacement LCD/front panels in their stores, do they? Tons more people need a new screen compared to people who need new batteries.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011

What other smartphone manufacturer has batteries in stores in large numbers? What battery manufacturer sells batteries on the shelf? Answer: none. You might find some in a store here and there, but it's not something the majority of people are ever going to need or want. Sure, you'll get some people, but that's not enough to justify it.

Also, it implies that the batteries in their phones suck and need to be replaced often. Stores don't stock replacement LCD/front panels in their stores, do they? Tons more people need a new screen compared to people who need new batteries.

When a phone has a back panel that can be removed easily and allows for a battery to be swapped, I expect that I can with relative convenience, buy a spare battery for that phone. Phone screens are not so easily removed and are not designed to be easily removed. I don't expect to be able to buy replacement screens with similar ease and convenience. If phones are designed to allow the front screen to be removed and replace easily, then I would also expect replacement screens to be easily obtained.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

To address your first comment, Samsung has their own stores inside of almost every Best Buy in the continental US. They tout the removable battery as a feature and because of this they should be more accessible in their own stores.

To address your second comment, how ludicrous to assume their batteries suck based off of no previous experience with a samsung device. It's obviously much more convenient to have the ability to replace the battery when the current one is drained vs. having to stay attached to the charger. I'm not sure what's so bad about that. And why would you even try to compare replacing a battery that is accessible and replaceable to a screen that is not? It's obviously not that hard to comprehend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.