Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Really wanted to like this, even got a few PSN vouchers to buy it. But after the playing the beta I think I'll wait or skip it completely.

To compare it to GTAV (the most expensive game made after this, similar vast scope and size). When I first played that I felt a magic that I hadn't for years. It was like a game from the future, that this old PS3 shouldn't be able to run. And in Borderlands 2 when you start that you see a world that you just want to explore, and everything was just so fun and intense.

I'm not getting that with Destiny. It's slower, it's too simple, the missions are a relic from the last decade's MMOs.

If anything it reminded me I really wanted to play No Man's Sky.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I'm still confused as to what this game actually is.

Is it an MMO? Do you play random quests with random strangers?

Is there an overarching story being told, a la Mass Effect?

Can I play this offline? Is it ever finished?

Is anyone able to answer these questions? I am really actually curious. Is a headset required/recommended to talk to other players?

Can I preorder to get a beta key on PSN and then cancel my preorder?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Is anyone able to answer these questions? I am really actually curious. Is a headset required/recommended to talk to other players?

Can I preorder to get a beta key on PSN and then cancel my preorder?

I've only played for a couple of hours but I can attempt:

Is it an MMO? Do you play random quests with random strangers? (it's the same as Borderlands but with additional Halo style multiplayer options. MMO style quests, can play with strangers)

Is there an overarching story being told, a la Mass Effect? (I believe there is, but it will evolve over time)

Can I play this offline? Is it ever finished? (No offline mode at all. Saves are stored on Bungie's servers. From the sounds of it there is no "end" but that might come later)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I've only played for a couple of hours but I can attempt:

Is it an MMO? Do you play random quests with random strangers? (it's the same as Borderlands but with additional Halo style multiplayer options. MMO style quests, can play with strangers)

Is there an overarching story being told, a la Mass Effect? (I believe there is, but it will evolve over time)

Can I play this offline? Is it ever finished? (No offline mode at all. Saves are stored on Bungie's servers. From the sounds of it there is no "end" but that might come later)

Awesome thanks!

Still not sure if this is for me. Probably not, but I'll keep an open mind...

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
This maintenance is ********.

Also is it even worth launching an Xbox beta? 5 days? Really?

For how much it was hyped, I figured we'd at least get it for a solid two weeks.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I've got an extra Xbox One beta code for Destiny if anyone wants it. The codes let you download the game on the Xbox One tonight so it's installed for tomorrow.

First response on here and it's yours.....free of course.

junebug1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
I've got an extra Xbox One beta code for Destiny if anyone wants it. The codes let you download the game on the Xbox One tonight so it's installed for tomorrow.

First response on here and it's yours.....free of course.

I would really appreciate a beta code if it is still available. Thanks!

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Are your characters from the beta carried over to the final release?

Edit: It seems like, according to some comments on a Polygon article, it doesn't carry over. Thanks anyway. :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
The beta is now open meaning anybody can give it a whirl.

http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Beta-All-Access/en/News/News?aid=11962

I played it for about 3 hours so far on the XBox One and thus far I'm not impressed. It's visually good but even the main story quests so far just seem like "travel to point A, kill everything". The randomly generated quests are the same. Orbiting to your ship then back down to a planet takes way too long. I've only played the Titan and Hunter classes but both felt pretty much identical. I did play one round of PvP and it was okay, but no better than any other competitive multiplayer. I've moved it to the 'probably won't buy' list.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Loving Destiny especially on PS4 (the online is working much better and the light bar really does add to the experience in this game) - Xbox One party chat is totally messed up requires the party app to be snapped and day 1 it didn't work at all!

One thing I am curious about is moving my character from console to console and game to game this was mentioned - I'll be curious if I can have XB1 and PS4 versions and move my character around at will - that would be amazing!

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I too am enjoying the game thus far. Only level 7 but it's fun. I'm playing on the Xbox One but haven't tried any party stuff yet.

One thing I was surprised about is the music. I've been playing with headphones on (sennheiser) and some of the music in the dangerous areas has been superb and has really ramped up the tension. A very nice touch.

One negative is the ship. I mean it's cool and all to get up to your ship but it's basically a choosing next area/loading screen and takes too long once you launch.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Seems like Bungie is still holding a grudge at Microsoft.

I think so.

This morning was the first time I managed to sit down and play for a couple of hours. I'm liking it so far. Already level 6 and done a fair few quests.

I wonder if they'll ramp up the story side of things in the final version or if this (and the Alpha) is a carbon copy of the opening couple of hours of the game.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Checked it out a few hours this morning, on PS4. Not sure what to think yet. The fps mechanic is solid enough and pretty fun, nothing we haven't seen before many times though. Other than that...for a game that so closely resembles Mass Effect in setting and aesthetics, it had better have some good characters and story. So far, I see none. Maybe it will be in the game, and the beta is strictly to test the network and connectivity features, who knows. As it is right now, it left me completely indifferent.

And speaking of this whole next gen connectivity thing: To me, it basically felt like I was playing a single player game, and I was surrounded by a few people who happened to be playing the same single player game, but completely unrelated to me. Didn't figure out how to group up or anything, and I never felt any sort of connection to those other clowns running around. Perhaps my fault for not using a headset? ;)

We'll see how this shapes up for release, for now I am only mildly interested.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Perhaps my fault for not using a headset? ;)

We'll see how this shapes up for release, for now I am only mildly interested.

You can only do voicechat with the people in your firesquad. Also for some dumb reason they made it so you can have 6 people in your firesquad but everything except raids and PvP can only be done with 3 people...

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I wonder if they'll ramp up the story side of things in the final version or if this (and the Alpha) is a carbon copy of the opening couple of hours of the game.

I sure hope not!

I am absolutely loving Destiny and will be picking it up on Sept 9th for sure, but the story in the Beta has beans vague, it needs to be explained more.

I have no doubt that Bungie plan on doing this with the final release.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Anyone play the public events yesterday? What did you unlock?

It was 10pm here in the UK so I couldn't take part :confused:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Really wanted to like this, even got a few PSN vouchers to buy it. But after the playing the beta I think I'll wait or skip it completely.

To compare it to GTAV (the most expensive game made after this, similar vast scope and size). When I first played that I felt a magic that I hadn't for years. It was like a game from the future, that this old PS3 shouldn't be able to run. And in Borderlands 2 when you start that you see a world that you just want to explore, and everything was just so fun and intense.

I'm not getting that with Destiny. It's slower, it's too simple, the missions are a relic from the last decade's MMOs.

If anything it reminded me I really wanted to play No Man's Sky.

That's exactly how I felt after the alpha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.