Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I've always thought it would be silly to own an iPod Touch if you own an iPhone because it sort of defeats the purpose, but yesterday I went ahead and purchased a 16GB iPod Touch. The main reason is because as work, my co-workers and I usually take turns playing our music through the stereo via our iPods/iPhones, and I hate having to hook my phone up to play music at work, but then having it stop because someone is calling/texting me. Not to mention, anytime I have to leave the shop (I'm an outside sales rep), I have to stop the music that's playing and take my phone with me. I also don't like not having my phone by my desk.

I feel kind of silly for spending $200 on an iPod Touch when I already have an iPhone 5S, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Anyone else have both? What do you use your iPod Touch for as opposed to your iPhone, and why?

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I have an iPhone 4 8GB and an iPod touch 32GB. (As well as an iPad mini 32GB)

I got my iPod touch back in the around my birthday in 2013. (Wanted to treat myself:D)

I use my iPod touch to hold more apps, videos and music, simply because my phone always has less than 1GB free for some reason. My iPod holds half of a tv season (mainly because my iPad is full too) some songs and a few games, just for a bit of entertainment.

I also use my iPod to save battery life on my phone. I just switch to my iPod if we are in a wifi hotspot in order to not use all the battery on my phone. Works out pretty well since it has a better battery than my phone.

I have an iPhone, iPad mini and an iPod touch and tbh, they kinda defeat each other's purpose but I like having them as they serve different purposes in the way I use them.

It's more a luxury, a nice luxury. I sure don't regret buying so many apple products :D

-Juan

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
I have both a 5C and a fifth gen iPod Touch.

My 5C is only 16GB, and that proved to not be enough. I picked up the Touch in 64GB in order to store more media on it (mainly music), and to use for jailbreaking and/or betas.

So far it's proved to be a good combo.

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
I have an iphone 4S and a Ipod touch 5th gen 64 gb and a 16 gb rmini. My 4S is almost full of pictures and apps. I use my ipod for music, podcasts, audio books and 1 movie so far. It's a little crazy but it works for me.

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
I do, since I got the touch before I got the iPhone, and didn't want to sell it as I only used it for six months and it cost $300. So I use it mostly for music now since it has more space than my iPhone.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I just picked up a refurb 64 iPodT to complement my 64GB 5s. I have them set up identically. They're finally almost reasonably priced so I thought I'd get one while they're still available. I use it as a mini tablet at home and I'm posting from it right now. It's so cute! I also use it as a phone at home over wifi, and for Bluetooth speaker music streaming. This way my iPhone stays fully charged. Hmm. I guess that means if the 5s had real battery life I wouldn't have needed the touch? Oh I probably still would have bought: It's so cute!

I really don't want an iPad, they're just too big for my needs. I have a nexus 7 I never use because it's too big.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Im torned between getting me a nintendo 3ds or Ipod touch 16gb.

I owned a 4s and the battery is not very impressive. It has not gone bad because we all know the battery of Iphone is like this. I have to charge twice a day so thinking of getting the touch just for games and movie maybe a little bit. U can never go wrong with having many apple products since its resale value is much higher than others.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Both my teenage sons have and iPhone 5 16GB and an iPod touch 64GB. iPod for its larger capacity and iPhone for staying in contact and limited amount of tunes it can carry. Both had their iPods before their iPhones and decided they needed both.

bimmerboii

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
Just bought a 64gb ipod touch 5th gen. Its sole purpose is for playing spotify offline. And maybe the occasional gaming

Last edited:

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I bought an iPod classic AFTER getting my 5s, because podcast support got completely broken under iOS 7.

I'm sort of toying with buying either another iPod or a 16GB iPod touch to use when I'm walking or the like and don't want to risk wrecking my "main" devices. I hate iOS podcast support now, but the touch is very tempting at only $25 more than the iPod nano, and much LESS than the classic...

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
California
I use an iPhone 5 16gb and iPod 5 32gb. I have all my work/school stuff on my iPhone, while I have all my gaming/iOS betas/jailbreaks/xCode app testing/movies/music/tv seasons on my iPod. I use my iPod most of the time, but now that I installed iOS 8 beta on both, I hardly need the iPhone! Because if I have my iPhone charging in another room, I can pick up a phone call from my iPod, or send an SMS text from my iPod! The only restriction is when I'm not at school, work or home, because I don't have them both on the same wifi network.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I use my iPod most of the time, but now that I installed iOS 8 beta on both, I hardly need the iPhone! Because if I have my iPhone charging in another room, I can pick up a phone call from my iPod, or send an SMS text from my iPod! The only restriction is when I'm not at school, work or home, because I don't have them both on the same wifi network.
Good to know that works. The keynote only mentioned iPad and Mac. One question I do have, what if you tether the iPod to the iPhone? Does it work then? Because technically, they're still on the same network. The iPhone just happens to act as gateway as well. :)

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
Good to know that works. The keynote only mentioned iPad and Mac. One question I do have, what if you tether the iPod to the iPhone? Does it work then? Because technically, they're still on the same network. The iPhone just happens to act as gateway as well. :)

Yes, this works, even over bluetooth tethering; we've finally have a use for our 5th generation touches!

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I have a 5th-gen iPod touch that just sits docked in my kitchen to control music. I use it with the Remote app to control the flow of music from iTunes on my Mac Mini in the other room, which plays to the speakers via AirPlay (which is uncompressed and sounds better than Bluetooth, and also works over a longer range so long as everything is on the same wifi network). It's a very solid setup. I also play Spotify through the iPod as well, again through AirPlay to a either my kitchen or living room speakers.

Although my iPhone as 64GB of storage and would be my go-to for travelling with music, I do also have some stuff synced to the iPod and could use that in a pinch.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I got a Touch when there was no VZW iPhone. Now I have both. The Touch is 64gb and holds all of my music. My 4s is 32gb, and holds ~2000 songs. Works perfect for me as my Touch is strictly for tunes. :cool:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
iPhone 5 and iPod tough 5. The iPod touch i got for free as a gift directly from apple (pretty cool, and hard to believe i know) but i already had the iPhone 5, and ended up keeping it as a spare device.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
I used to be able to live with just my 4s in 2011,but I sold it because it was blocked and couldn't use it on a network. Fast forward to 2014 and I got my 4s in February,replacing my 4 which I then sold. I bought the iPod in July 2014 before I received the iPhone 4. When I to the 4, I used my iCloud backup from my old 4s… there was only 2gb left! My iPod just laid there… unused. So I put all my games on my iPod but left the music on my phone as I needed it. I've only got a maximum of 10 games on my iPhone and works for me because of the iOS 8 continuity.

bluemud1977

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2014
I ended up getting an iPod touch after I left my classic in a rental car - even after contacting the rental company an hour or 2 later there was "no sign" of the iPod.

My iPhone is a 16gb 4S so I ended up getting a 64gb iPod touch 5G. Glad that I went for the bigger storage as I now have 30 gb of music.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Well...I have an iPod touch 4 and iPhone 5c...now it's a bit more understandable since I bought the iPod touch first back in 2010 then I got the iphone back in December...but I also bought an iPod nano 7 about a year ago (6 months before my iphone). I bought the nano because I wanted a nice small device just dedicated to music, basically the same reason you bought your iPod touch...even though I already had my iPod touch that was completely capable of playing music. Now I have my iphone so it almost defeats the purpose me having bought the nano...but I don't want to waste my money and just leave the nano lying around in a drawer so I try to use that as much as possible...

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Well...I have an iPod touch 4 and iPhone 5c...now it's a bit more understandable since I bought the iPod touch first back in 2010 then I got the iphone back in December...but I also bought an iPod nano 7 about a year ago (6 months before my iphone). I bought the nano because I wanted a nice small device just dedicated to music, basically the same reason you bought your iPod touch...even though I already had my iPod touch that was completely capable of playing music. Now I have my iphone so it almost defeats the purpose me having bought the nano...but I don't want to waste my money and just leave the nano lying around in a drawer so I try to use that as much as possible...

I've always wished the Nano ran iOS, and could connect to the network via Bluetooth - I guess maybe I'll sort of get my wish via iTime, except I don't like watches. Maybe if I took the band off...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.