Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hopefully soon, Steam sale first :D

You're lucky with the Wii U on the Zelda front, you can play:

Twilight Princess - original style epic
Windwaker HD - colourful fun
Skyward Sword - slightly different to other ones (bit more linear), amazing art
The original 2 Zeldas on the NES Virtual Console and the absurdly epic Link to the Past on the SNES Virtual Console, and Minish Cap on the GBA Virtual Gameboy!

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
You're lucky with the Wii U on the Zelda front, you can play:

Twilight Princess - original style epic
Windwaker HD - colourful fun
Skyward Sword - slightly different to other ones (bit more linear), amazing art
The original 2 Zeldas on the NES Virtual Console and the absurdly epic Link to the Past on the SNES Virtual Console, and Minish Cap on the GBA Virtual Gameboy!

Oh wow! I didn't know it had those 'ancient' games in its library as well. :eek:

FFS! Now I kind of want to order one right now. Steam Summer sale though!:eek:

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Who cares if Wii U is 'under-powered', it's about the games! If you like the games on that system, buy it!

Only Nintendo game that interest me is MK8 (only must play title presently available on any next gen system imho), but I can't justify cost of a system for just one game.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I am so glad I bought one! I'm having lots of fun on it. DK is frustrating me but still good fun!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Update...

I still havent bought one as of yet as I have been busy with finishing my degree but may take the plunge this weekend

I got a $40 reward zone certificate from my MBA purchase so it could go to the MK8 bundle.

Unless I decide to buy an XB1 instead....decisions decisions!!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Very cool - I've been hearing the MK8 bundle is selling like hotcakes - hope your location has them in stock. I'd say right now Wii U is the must have system because of the amount of quality games available for it - looking forward to Sunset Overdrive and the Halo collection for XB1 later this year ... Alien Isolation looks great too.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Update...

I still havent bought one as of yet as I have been busy with finishing my degree but may take the plunge this weekend

I got a $40 reward zone certificate from my MBA purchase so it could go to the MK8 bundle.

Unless I decide to buy an XB1 instead....decisions decisions!!

IMO go with the WiiU.

I picked up an Xbox One (with Kinect) 3 weeks ago and am really enjoying it so far. BUT.....I play the WiiU a lot more and I've had it since February. There are just so many more great games out for the WiiU at the moment.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
The Wiiu is awesome when you have kids. It is very family friendly and I can even play with my wife on a quiet Friday night! Mario Kart 8 is a beast, so much multiplayer opportunities with the kids on a lot of other games too.

I am a huge Mass Effect and Gears of War fan, so nothing is ever gonna replace my 360. But that gets played when everyone goes to bed!

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
And just to bring the point home, my 5 month old twins were with me most of the day in the living room and I was able to play Legend of Zelda Wind Waker for about 2 1/2 hours between feedings, diapers and naps. They were fixated on the tv when they were awake and not eating.

Kind of hard to do that when you are picking up hookers in Grand Theft Auto. I love the WiiU

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I bought a Wii U in the end. Mario Kart 8 bundle :cool:.

I was becoming bored of playing games in-front of the monitor on the PC/Mac so I decided I wanted to play games from the sofa again.

I bought the Wind Waker remake and playing it now reminds me how much I actually enjoyed Wind Waker back in 2003. The slight tweaks to improve it make it a joyous experience despite the frequent frame rate issues. Enjoying Mario Kart 8 as well - definately more sensitive to your driving skills.

I will probably pick up Mario Land 3D eventually and then Smash Bros after that. I hope the next Zelda is better than Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword is my least favourite console Zelda.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I bought a Wii U in the end. Mario Kart 8 bundle :cool:.

I was becoming bored of playing games in-front of the monitor on the PC/Mac so I decided I wanted to play games from the sofa again.

I bought the Wind Waker remake and playing it now reminds me how much I actually enjoyed Wind Waker back in 2003. The slight tweaks to improve it make it a joyous experience despite the frequent frame rate issues. Enjoying Mario Kart 8 as well - definately more sensitive to your driving skills.

I will probably pick up Mario Land 3D eventually and then Smash Bros after that. I hope the next Zelda is better than Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword is my least favourite console Zelda.

I'd say A Link Between Worlds is a good sign they are learning from their past mistakes and shaking up the formula in good ways - the Wii U reveal had me impressed with their goals of making it an open world Zelda

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I am finally closing on my house this week and will have a little extra cash to finally make the plunge.

Should I buy refurbished versus new?

I havent read any negative information regarding Nintendo refurbs so thats a good sign.

If I bought new I'd go MK8 bundle if I can find one but for me I dont buy games,I use Gamefly so I am thinking refurb may be the way to go.

Anyone buy refurb before?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I am finally closing on my house this week and will have a little extra cash to finally make the plunge.

Should I buy refurbished versus new?

I havent read any negative information regarding Nintendo refurbs so thats a good sign.

If I bought new I'd go MK8 bundle if I can find one but for me I dont buy games,I use Gamefly so I am thinking refurb may be the way to go.

Anyone buy refurb before?

I'd say refurb would be a great option at $200; I would strongly encourage buying MK8 instead of renting it; especially if you jump on MK8 you have about a week left in the free game promotion; Amazon also has that on sale for $48 I believe so for $48 you'll be getting MK8 and one of the other top tier Wii U games.

$250 ain't half bad :)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Good feedback.

I am deciding if the refurb is quality from Nintendo and then going the route to buy a game like MK8 like you mentioned or get the bundle with the extra controller and such, a new console, and then getting the game with it.

Decisions, decisions.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Good feedback.

I am deciding if the refurb is quality from Nintendo and then going the route to buy a game like MK8 like you mentioned or get the bundle with the extra controller and such, a new console, and then getting the game with it.

Decisions, decisions.

I have no first hand experience. However, I would imagine the Nintendo refurb quality would be similar to Apple's refurb quality.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I dont know what this means..sorry lol

NSMBU, NSLU

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
New Super Mario Brothers U and New Super Luigi U

Duh. Sorry about that as it makes sense now.

I dont see the MK8 deal going on anymore at Best Buy. I guess it is just known that if you buy it now you still get that free game?

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Duh. Sorry about that as it makes sense now.

I dont see the MK8 deal going on anymore at Best Buy. I guess it is just known that if you buy it now you still get that free game?

It's a Club Nintendo deal. You register the game (MK8) on the website and you get a code for the free game of your choosing to download directly to the WiiU:

https://club.nintendo.com

I'm pretty sure the game has to be registered soon though. The promotion ends July 31st I believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.