Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluemud1977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
I have recently overhauled my entire iTunes music library and restored my iPod numerous times as the files on the iPod were not retaining the album artwork or some tracks were mysteriously omitted (usually tracks 1,5 & 6 of an album).

I've converted all my previous mp3's over to AAC format (256kbps) in iTunes 11.2, upgraded to 11.3 and converted some further mp3 files to AAC format. The first error I noticed was some longer songs (6:00+) would convert to AAC but the time of these songs would refer to 4:58.

Since this happened I have used a third party program - MediaHuman Audio Converter - to convert mp3 files to AAC which has kept the track lengths the same.

My main issue now is when I have my music on shuffle within the app (Songs > Shuffle All) music tracks will not finish at the end of the track or when the next track starts it will begin 2 minutes into the song!

I have iTunes installed on C: and have all my music residing on D: (two separate hard drives) and have the iTunes preferences pointing to the D: to keep the library organised.

Clearly I'm at a loss as to what's happening - it doesn't do this on specific tracks and the shuffling of songs is always random. I have not had this issue before with my iPod Touch so I'm hoping there are some people out there who have experienced this problem with songs skipping or irregular start and stop times.

Regards, Shaun (bluemud1977) :)

bluemud1977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
Uploaded Video

I have just made a video demonstrating some of the audio problems I've been having. I have an appointment booked in at the "genius bar" tomorrow afternoon and will show some of this footage to someone at the Apple Retail Store.

For those of curious mind - feel free to watch. If you need a better version I can upload a HD video to YouTube.

iPod Touch 5G skipping audio

Regards, Shaun (bluemud1977)

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
You have the same songs on your ipod that I do. And I have almost the same issue except mine skips at the beginning of the song. I don't know why and haven't figured it out yet. It was suggested here that the files might have gotten corrupted somehow but it's a different song every time.

bluemud1977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
I'm not sure if it is corrupted files but I have been re-ripping or converting songs to AAC format from the current files I have in my library.

I have saved them all to the folder on the desktop, removed all instances of an iTunes library and I am starting afresh. I have found that some tracks will not convert - giving me a (-3) error? - so I will import these whole albums again from the CDs I have at home.

What I have noticed is that the original AAC files I have are converted @ 256kbps with VBR. I am now converting them to 256kbps without VBR. Not sure if it will make a difference but time (and shuffling tracks) will tell.

bluemud1977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
I went into a local Apple Store last week to explain the problem of the iPod skipping songs and playing the next track at irregular times.

They were helpful in that they checked out the settings and then no questions asked replaced my iPod with a refurbished model.

It still has iOS 6 on it when I booted up the device, for nostalgia I took a screenshot :)

Fast forward to today, all of my music (3,500+ songs) are back on the new iPod and I haven't had this same issue happen again.

That being said I've updated all of my music to AAC @ 256kbps (no VBR), I'd like to think this may have helped. On the plus side it keeps the file sizes smaller than AAC tracks at the same bitrate with VBR active.

Regards, Shaun (bluemud1977)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.