Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will launch the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 several months after the 4.7-inch version to avoid competition between the two models, according to a new report from DigiTimes citing supply chain sources.
The different timetables have been set as Apple does not want to repeat the mistake it made in 2013 when it launched the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c simultaneously, said the sources.
Prior rumors have pointed out that production issues with the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 would cause Apple to delay its release a few months after 4.7-inch version, however this newest report claims that isn't the case for the launch delay. A report from Bloomberg last month suggested that Apple would be launching both versions of the iPhone 6 simultaneously, noting that the company had begun preparing the 4.7-inch model and 5.5-inch for manufacturing.

iphone_5s_6_grass.jpg
4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 mockups compared to iPhone 5s​
Apple is expected to unveil the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 at a September event, although a report yesterday noted that the company is unsure as to whether it will show off the 5.5-inch version at the same time. The company is said to be preparing between 70 and 80 million iPhone 6 units to meet anticipated customer demand, as the larger screen could cause a massive spike in upgrades from both iPhone upgraders and those switching from Android.

In addition to a larger screen, the iPhone 6 is expected to feature a faster A8 processor, a thinner profile, an improved camera, and Apple's new iOS 8 mobile operating system.

Article Link: Apple Launching 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 After 4.7-Inch Version to Avoid Competition Between Two Models?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Seems an asinine reason to delay a product. I doubt the margins will be drastically different between the two versions, and it's highly unlikely that people will buy both, so all they're doing is giving the competition extra time to market their larger screen phones to potential customers.

And anyway, if they don't show both in September, I'd question the existence of the 5.5" model.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Apple is expected to unveil the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 at a September event, although a report yesterday noted that the company is unsure as to whether it will show off the 5.5-inch version at the same time.

If launch day comes and goes with no mention of a 5.5 inch iPhone, they'll be bombarded with questions about it, online, and in stores. To deny such a phone, and then come out with it a couple of months later would create so much bad will with customers, I'm sure they'll have a better plan thought out.

(Not that I'm even remotely interested in such a monstrous beast, but I know many others are, and they'll be vocal about it I'm sure!)

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
"To avoid competition between two models"... how, exactly? I don't see the point.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
That's not a valid reason. Maybe there will be a delay for the 5.5, but not for this.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
So does Apple (allegedly) think everyone gets the 5,5" version if they are released at the same time? Or the other way around?

Wouldn't people buy the version they want, if they had the choice?

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
"To avoid competition between two models"... how, exactly? I don't see the point.

Same here. I just don't get it. "Oh no. Customers will want one of our products so bad they can't choose which size to get! It's soooo hard"

either way, apple gets a sale. So this idea that apple cares about competition between their own devices is just stupid. A sale is a sale. If anything, releasing them both will flood the market with more stock of iPhones in both sizes so they'll have way higher release numbers to brag about

Alshujibi

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
New Castle, DE
I don't understand the fact people believe in 5.5" thing that never existed or even leaked!

The comparison will come sooner or later anyway live it or hate it!!!

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Yea sure, like they did with the ipad mini...release first the iPAD MINI and after the AIR to avoid competition

apfelfreak32

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2010
They want the hardcore fans first to buy the 6 and then the larger 6 after a few month :)They know they wouldn't buy the two at the same time :rolleyes::apple:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I can see their point. My contract is up for renewal in September, and tbh because I was unsure about the 5.5" I was actually not going to preorder this year in order to try the different sizes out. This might just move me towards just ordering the 4.7" phone as my iPhone 5 is getting a little long in the tooth.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
This makes little sense and I think is an unlikely reason. I'm sure we'll find out closer to launch what the actual reason for a delay could be.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
How was releasing the 5s and 5c at the same time a mistake? Cook himself is saying the 5c was a great success.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I can see their point. My contract is up for renewal in September, and tbh because I was unsure about the 5.5" I was actually not going to preorder this year in order to try the different sizes out. This might just move me towards just ordering the 4.7" phone as my iPhone 5 is getting a little long in the tooth.

But why is that to their advantage? You get the 4.7", then they come out with the 5.5". Now you feel some buyer's remorse when you realise you would have preferred the 5.5", and they have missed out on selling you the larger (presumably more costly) phone. Are they expecting you to buy BOTH?

Like others here, I just don't get the logic.

PS. You think your iPhone 5 is long in the tooth? You should try my 3G! :)

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
So are they going to delay the 15 inch macbook so it doesn't compete with the 13 Macbook.

I call ******** on this story.

There was no issue with 5c and 5s, the 5c no one wanted because it was last years model wrapped in plastic with a mediocre discount. Honestly I still can't see a reason to buy it over the 5s. Apple didn't time it wrong they just made the wrong bloody product!!!!!

LunaticSX

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
Apple does not want to repeat the mistake it made in 2013 when it launched the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c simultaneously

A "mistake" that only exists in analysts' minds. The iPhone 5c sold better in comparison to the 5s than the 4S did compared to the 5, after the 5 launched.

So if Apple hadn't made the iPhone 5c, after the 5s launched the 5 probably would have sold fewer units as the second-tier iPhone than the 5c, and there would have been fewer iPhones sold overall.

The real mistake was anyone having any expectation that the iPhone 5c was going to a bargain-basement model and that Apple was going to use it to try to greatly expand their market share at the expense of margins and profit.

Hint: Apple. doesn't. play. that. game.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Latest rumor is that the white version of the 4.7" also comes 3 months later...
So it doesn't compete with the black. /s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.